• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do you have a console?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
One word.. Ladies. They go for the latest and greatest games like rock band and all that jazz. Me.. Id rather play WoW on a keyboard and mouse, but you have to keep the womenfolk happy.

Oddly enough... this is ABSOLUTELY true.

I was feeling like a complete *** walking down the street with my Rockband drums after coming from Circuit City. Walked right past this bar and this tall blonde was like "Hey! Where are you going with those Rockband drums! I'm DEAD SERIOUS! I have the mic!"

...too bad I don't go for blondes. :)

If you're my buddy Shawn it's for party games. He has the PS3 for all the Sing Star games (very fun when you're :beer:) and a Blu-Ray player. He plays Scene it on his 360 along with Fallout 3 and Fable 2. Most of the time he's on his PC playing WOW.

I'm with the guys who say if you can afford it then buy it. I have all 3 consoles even though I hardly play the Wii.

Got used to playing driving games on Console while doing reviews for a national entertainment magazine, then I discovered all the other practical uses for an Xbox 1. Because I had become used to it, I bought a 360 as well to play Forza 2.

I mainly have a console because I'm not an idiot: I like games.

And I don't hold stupid allegiances to crazy things like "I'm a PC gamer! Keyboard and mouse or die!" or "PC Gaming is dying..."

If a game I want is either only available for one platform, or is the best on one platform... then I buy the platform. (I might just be getting a Wii when they come out with Punch-Out).

It's not about the platform... it's about the games. And you'd have to be incredibly conceited to say that there are no good games on console or vice-cersa.

So there you have it... ONe man's opinion.

This sums my stance up as well. Though for FPS games I do say keyboard and mouse or die. :p

Anyway, I own consoles for platformers, as those types of games just generally aren't released for PC. I have a PS2 for God of War, SOTC, Ratchet and Clank, Dark Alliance, Champions of Norrath, a GameCube for the Zelda, Mario, and Metroid games, a PSP for Chains of Olympus of Final Fantasy games, and when God of War 3 is released I will own a PS3 again. I have a 360 but don't play it as much since I only do FPS on PC and most of the good 360 games are FPS, but if they release some good platformers there I'll buy'em.

Oddly enough... this is ABSOLUTELY true.

I was feeling like a complete *** walking down the street with my Rockband drums after coming from Circuit City. Walked right past this bar and this tall blonde was like "Hey! Where are you going with those Rockband drums! I'm DEAD SERIOUS! I have the mic!"

...too bad I don't go for blondes. :)

While I think choosing a console over a PC for gaming because of "the ladies" would be completely dumb, I do have to chime in and say that my neighboors (3 girls) bought a Wii and Rockband over the weekend and invited me over to play...I never played before, or played Guitar Hero before....but that game was fun!...It's amazing how satisfying pushing buttons on a fake guitar can feel :santa:

Personally, I game on both PC and Console. The fact is, some games are simply better on one or the other. Can you imagine trying to play WoW with a controller? Not possible. Or, on the other hand, something as fun as the Wii games, you simply cannot play on a computer. Both ftw imo.

consoles exist for guitar hero world tour if for nothing else.

and also all the good 3d fighters never get the ol' PC port (i.e. Soul Calibur and Tekken series)

little big planet is pretty fun too :)

I really like console for fps now that I can use a mouse and keyboard on the xbox. When I played any type of FPS on my computer, it would get super hot. I suck at making a computer stay cool. I would soon get big drops in FPS because my 8800gt would start overheating. My 6800gt got up to 124C and still didn't die though so they can take some heat but you still lose performance.

Even though the graphics on the PC destroy any console gaming system I really don;'t notice them when I play FPS. I'm to busy focused on killing to stop and look around.

But in the end, I'll play both the xbox and PC. I'll even think about getting a pS3 because I wanted a blue ray player anyways, but for another 100 bucks I could get anotherr gaming console + a blue ray player so I might go that route.

Once Starcraft 2 comes out though my xbox is going to gather some dust.

NCAA 2009 on the PS3 kicks ***, I bought the PS3 for NCAA09 and Gran Tursimo and I have not been disappointed yet.......................

You bought the most expensive system solely for a game that's avalailable on every platform and a demo? :screwy:

PC is the most expensive system. And Gran Turismo isn't a demo... it isn't out. He bought it fir when it DOES come out. Same way people buy 360 for gears.

PC is the most expensive system. And Gran Turismo isn't a demo... it isn't out. He bought it fir when it DOES come out. Same way people buy 360 for gears.

I used to believe this until I had a 360 and PS3. Once you start picking up those 360 accessories and extra controllers, I actually spent more owning a 360 than I have on my current gaming rig here (until I bought new hard drives but those I didn't need for gaming whatsoever, that was just for my massive media collection). I honestly think current gen console + modest accessories is about on par with a decent gaming rig. Obviously you can go balls crazy with either one and ultimately you can make the computer cost more if you're trying.

Couple in the fact that games are cheaper on PC, along with a good 22" or 24" monitor being cheaper than most HDTVs, and I think PC gaming is actually starting to come ahead price wise.

Oh no you didn't!
2 points here old buddy........

1. PC is NOT a gaming system. It's a productivity unit and multifaceted tool that also happens to play a few games.

2. The thread title does say console.....

I like PS3 for Guitar Hero, FPS, and Squaresoft.
I like PC for Blizzard, Bioware, and Atari.

PC is NOT a gaming system. It's a productivity unit and multifaceted tool that also happens to play a few games.
PS3/360 are NOT gaming systems. They are productivity units and multifaceted tools that also happen to play a few games.

back in the late 90's i became a huge pc gamer. It was the premo gaming experience to me. But last 2 or 3 years i've tried to slow down and have started to slow down using my pc for gaming. But i'm not exactly a console gamer either. Handheld gamer, because i don't have the money to blow on some huge tv, also no where to put it. The living room tv is always in use by my gf or son.

Handheld gaming allows me to sit back in a recliner in the living room and game while talking to my gf etc. I'm especially trying to slowly move away from online gaming just because i just don't seem to have the time anymore. Also i got into handheld gaming big time when my son was born about 5 years ago. Since i could rarely get on the computer for more then 10 minutes at a time usually. I bought a gameboy SP and i loved it while he was napping right by me i'd just sit back and chill play advanced wars and advanced wars 2.

So i'm about to buy a psp (i have a DS but just seems to be to many kiddy games for it not enough big people games).Also it has ff7 crisis core been dieing to play and castlevania sotn my favorite game just about of all time.

Plus the psp seems to have a ton of features that i would love to have in a handheld.

PC is king in my eyes for online gaming experience. But it's just not so main stream anymore i would call it. It's uncomfortable, expensive, sometimes a big pain in the rear because of unfinished games, bad drivers etc.

So probably by the next set of handhelds (which will be ten times more advanced then the current ones) i'll probably become a handheld gamer 100%, and my pc's will be for work and server type stuff.

Last edited:
Back