• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why do you have a console?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
alot of games are better on a console or are only for a console. mario kart for pc i think would suck total ***.

So i'm about to buy a psp (i have a DS but just seems to be to many kiddy games for it not enough big people games).

Plus the psp seems to have a ton of features that i would love to have in a handheld.

That PS would blend nicely with a PS3 :beer:

PS3/360 are NOT gaming systems. They are productivity units and multifaceted tools that also happen to play a few games.

I think you have misunderstood Fudge's point. The primary purpose of the PS3 and 360 are video games; Netflix, media streaming, Blu-Ray, etc welcomed yet added bonuses.

The PC is/was orignally intended for many purposes - productivity, websurfing, etc. Gaming is certainly an option for many, but the bottom line is that it is a secondary function.

deception``

Last edited:
I think you have misunderstood Fudge's point. The primary purpose of the PS3 and PC are video games; Netflix, media streaming, Blu-Ray, etc welcomed yet added bonuses.

The PC is/was orignally intended for many purposes - productivity, websurfing, etc. Gaming is certainly an option for many, but the bottom line is that it is a secondary function.

deception``

considering how big a market there is for the gaming pc, i'd say its pretty much a primary function.

I got a console because a lot of my friends do not game on PCs. I own a 360, bought it last year. The first game I got was Halo 3, Gears, Skate, GTA4, and recently Rock Band 2 and Gears 2. I also got it because there are games I want to play that are only on consoles. I am also looking forward to FF13, and Skate 2.

I have struck a good balance. I try to only get FPS on PC like L4D, I did get Mass Effect for PC as well as Fallout 3 for PC.

I was also hoping MLB 2k8 was going to be good (xbox), but it sucked... so I passed on it. Here is hoping MLB 2k9 is worth playing.

I think you have misunderstood Fudge's point. The primary purpose of the PS3 and PC are video games; Netflix, media streaming, Blu-Ray, etc welcomed yet added bonuses.

deception``

That is exactly correct sir.

Another note i'm also getting back into handheld gaming (PSP) again because jan. I start a new project at work which involves nothing but setting up servers and computers scanners etc. Then managing all of it. Took a short break from doing IT'ish work around here because we had no projects and were short handed in the shop.

Once i get back to computers and computer related stuff all day for work again, i get sick of even looking at computers when i get home for the most part and it usually turns more into a weekend only thing and i do most my gaming on a handheld then.

considering how big a market there is for the gaming pc, i'd say its pretty much a primary function.

I'm not arguing against gaming on a PC. However, I think it's pretty easy to understand that, as a whole, most PC's are not created/purchased/etc with the PRIMARY intentions to play games [by most people, at least]

Yes there is a market for PC games, video cards, enthusiast equipment, etc, but it still pales in comparison to the market of the average consumer - word-processing, websurfing, e-mail. Hell, take a look at the rise of the Netbook and the fact that Notebooks are now outselling desktops - the new PC trend is toward portability and usability, if anything.

deception``

Why do I have a console?
I think it's because a console gives you the complete package for a reasonable price. You're buying a system designed for a certain purpose. Windows XP or Linux were not designed solely for playing games and neither was your hardware.

I have a console because Rock Band is not out for PC.
I got some other games later, but that is the sole reason I own a console.

Back