• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

memtest86 crashes.. bad memory? Bad Mobo? Help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Umphreaker

Registered
I was suspecting that I have a bad stick of ram in my computer, as I have been getting a couple corrupt downloads and several "bad pool caller" BSODs. I'm running corsair 2x1gb DDR2 800.
I start memtest86 and immediately it crashes before It can even begin. I have redownloaded and reburnt the iso, and I have tested it on my other computer, it works exactly as normal.

I pulled the memory out of my main computer and swapped the memory with my spare. I ran memtest on my spare computer using the same corsair memory, it found no errors after six hours. I put the memory(G-skill ddr2 567) from the spare computer into the main computer, and it crashed exactly the same.

Now I have no idea where the problem is, I tried resetting the bios to defaults and the exact same thing happens.

Please help!
Asus P5Q
E6750 OC'd to 3.2ghz
CORSAIR XMS2 2GB
Picture of memtest crash:

Attachments

• memtest86crash.JPG
    memtest86crash.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 7,242
what is your Psu voltage out puts. If your PSU is flacking out and not suppling enough power it will act the same.

+1, sounds like a PSU issue. Try swapping for a different/better/more powerful PSU. Also, what are your settings set at for your ram. It could be simply that the bios settings are setup properly, timings too tight, or voltage too low, but i would think that would prevent it from POSTing, let alone loading memtest.

Yeah it could be as simple as a BIOS setting or even version...even though you've tested @ defaults. Try running with higher manually set memory voltage and see if it clears up. Check what it's reading using defaults then bump it up .2 to .3V and run memtest again on both sets of memory. If it still fails then flash a newer BIOS (if you're not already on the current release) if that fails then you need to RMA the board if the PSU isn't the problem.

Yeah it could be as simple as a BIOS setting or even version...even though you've tested @ defaults. Try running with higher manually set memory voltage and see if it clears up. Check what it's reading using defaults then bump it up .2 to .3V and run memtest again on both sets of memory. If it still fails then flash a newer BIOS (if you're not already on the current release) if that fails then you need to RMA the board if the PSU isn't the problem.

Damn, thanks for the advice! Wow, I checked the default voltage and it was giving 1.9v, where the memory specification lists 2.1v. I updated the bios to the most recent one from asus' site, and it recognized the memory properly, giving it the 2.1v. I am currently running memtest on that machine right now, and it's been going for several hours without any errors found yet.

I can't believe it was so simple! Thanks a million man

Update

Memtest ran for 12+ hours without any errors. I booted into windows and got a couple BSODs, so I decided to do a fresh install of xp. That was this morning, and so far no problems whatsoever. I reckon some system files got corrupted while the memory was being funky.

I'm curious, should I replace the memory soon or can I trust it after passing memtest? I'm worried it could of gotten damaged/shortened lifespan by undervolting it. I know overvolting can fry memory, but I'm not sure if undervolting can do any damage?

I wouldnt worry about undervolting that much. The corrupted xp install makes sense, if things run smooth from here out, you'll be fine.

Back