You can't fire me, I have tenure!
    10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile

Secondary screen problem on my laptop.

Here's the situation:
    I have a laptop with an Ati Mobile Radeon X1600, I want to use the secondary output to have a dual screen system.

I hooked up the second screen to the DVI port, the screen came on, and the Ati configuration gave me options as to how I wanted to use it. I picked Clone, just toying with the settings. It cloned.

Then I decided that I wanted to simply extend the desktop. I opened the Ati config back up, uh oh--no more secondary display configuration options. I messed with it for a bit, shut down the PC, and went home for the day.

Came back the next day, and now I can't get the screen to come on at all, but I know for a fact that it works.

I reinstalled the drivers to the card, completely wiped out the old ones, even tried a system restore to the previous day. No dice.

I cannot use the Windows Display Settings to extend the screen, because when I select "Extend my desktop" and hit OK, the laptop screen goes out for a few seconds, then comes back. "Your settings have been changed, would you like to keep them? Yes/No" That's all well and good, but nothing has actually changed, the second screen never even flickered.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
    "There it is, ladies and gentlemen: the most expensive car in the world, dressed up like a mouse."

Why yes, I do have Heat!

---
    Welcome to the forums. Please read all of the forum rules. Thank you =) --- What mods are active that I can PM my concerns to?

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    Guess no one has any ideas?
    "There it is, ladies and gentlemen: the most expensive car in the world, dressed up like a mouse."

Why yes, I do have Heat!

---
    Welcome to the forums. Please read all of the forum rules. Thank you =) --- What mods are active that I can PM my concerns to?

don't you have anny button on your laptop for switching displays or something ?
    I've got this button on my XPS M1330, I had diff. display problems when using HDMI ,
    but pressing this button helped me - maybe it will "refresh" the settings for you or something ...

10 Year Badge
    Heatware Profile
    That is an excellent suggestion, but one I have already tried, unfortunately

Why yes, I do have Heat!

---