• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended PSU's - True/Tested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
So in your most respected and expert opinion, do ylu feel that hot box testing and crossload testing should be a requirement for threads like this?

No. I do think people need to be aware of the de-rating curves and maximum temp ratings on units though. If you need 750W at 50 degrees, don't get one rated to that power level at 40.

3.3/5V crossload, no. 12V crossload, absolutely.

Why do I do them? Easy way to tell an indy regulated unit without opening the thing up.

You put it in better words than I could think of.. Of course gamers don't really fuss over the 3.3/5V rails, and the 12V crossload is the critical one that will drive the CPU and GPU requirements.

No. I do think people need to be aware of the de-rating curves and maximum temp ratings on units though. If you need 750W at 50 degrees, don't get one rated to that power level at 40.

Interesting. No hotbox required then?

Since you have tons of PSU experience, what are a set of parameters you think should be there as a base set for "true tested"? Or, what are some tests that can be omitted and still prove a PSU to a decent level?

Thanks

BUMP!

RT/Diaz - Whats the story guys? Do we have enough information provided to make the suggested addition (our reviews)?

BUMP!

RT/Diaz - Whats the story guys? Do we have enough information provided to make the suggested addition (our reviews)?

A photo of Bobn's test equipment and a short description of how it works would be useful to start. Did we miss that?

I had no idea you were serious about that (picture). Even the editing team didnt ask for pictures of his test equipment. LOL this thread is strict!!!

Bobnova's reviews officially added to the list, good job Bob - *Overclockers Approved* PSU's added to the Overclockers Recommended PSU's - True/Tested list!

Antec HCP-850W
NZXT Hale82 850W
OCZ ZT 750W

Added a PSU, the OCZ Fatal1ty 750W. Great bang/buck.. Reviewer hotbox tested it at its full rating and it pulled off a 81.6% efficiency @ 48.8C ambient. Ripple was well within spec, and was able to put out well over its rating in power (around 980Watts) before breaking down.

To me, I would call it a trooper at a current street price of around $99..

Also, it is RED LED, and I am partial to nice red LED's. :D

Added both, thanks Bob :D:

Last edited:
Just as heads up since I saw this in the first post, the PSU review section on [H] has changed URL to http://www.hardocp.com/reviews/psu_power_supplies/ from http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/reviews.html?cat=NDUsUG93ZXIgU3VwcGxpZXMgLyBQU1UsaGVudGh1c2lhc3QsLCw=

The redirect from the old URL is not consistent so it might be worth updating.

Thank you!

Just curious, why does HOCP change url so often? I link some PSU reviews here and they often become broken over time..

Thanks bob, added.

Update today;

Re-added the Corsair HX series power supplies. They are still selling strong, and their design is fantastic. Welcome back Corsair, and I am happy they are keeping that line selling.

Thank you!

Just curious, why does HOCP change url so often? I link some PSU reviews here and they often become broken over time..

Well there was one big change over when we changed from the old naming scheme to the new scheme. The, what looked like, random letter string was changed to the date/article name format. Some of the old reviews did not migrate so when you click through you hit the search page and have to click the searched link. There were about two dozen articles that got corrupted when there was a DB replication problem and when they were manually recovered the links to them may have different dates so the link would not work right. So, really we only meant for there to be one big change.

Well there was one big change over when we changed from the old naming scheme to the new scheme. The, what looked like, random letter string was changed to the date/article name format. Some of the old reviews did not migrate so when you click through you hit the search page and have to click the searched link. There were about two dozen articles that got corrupted when there was a DB replication problem and when they were manually recovered the links to them may have different dates so the link would not work right. So, really we only meant for there to be one big change.

Makes sense, maybe I just kept checking separate links over time.. :chair:

Back