• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended PSU's - True/Tested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Any way to separate these from Single and multi RAIL power supplies... Even though there is no difference between the two... I just like to know...

Any way to separate these from Single and multi RAIL power supplies... Even though there is no difference between the two... I just like to know...

Joe,

Diaz' idea was to eliminate the "Internet Legends" on single vs. multi-rail power supplies by not separating them on any list.

Jonny Guru clarified that here:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5492844&postcount=2

Separating the modulars is logical of course. As long as buying from that list is considered, we know the multi-rail "issue" is really a "non-issue."

It would be nice to have +12v amperage listed. But I guess that would just save a click or two...

I think listing as discontinued when that happens is a good idea.

Ok, thats fine.. .Then how about discontinued models?

Joe,

You might want to PM Diaz about that, it's a valid point. He may be away since he hasn't updated for a few months but I haven't checked his last time on-line.

Joe,

You might want to PM Diaz about that, it's a valid point. He may be away since he hasn't updated for a few months but I haven't checked his last time on-line.

Ok... Been doing some PS shopping from that list, and found a few that no longer exist.

Wanted modular single rail...

well all i can say if you want the best psu in either 650 or 750watts. Look no further then these two units
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088 <--650
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151087 <--750

review of the 650 unit from JG
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=169
JG site seems a bit slow, is it just me?

Evil,

You're correct of course but the idea is to have a preferred list like Diaz's for the mainstream guys that come here asking "what to buy" (and what not to buy) The large percentage asking are on a budget. If they want those Seasonics or the Antec Signatures models, etc., they are there if they want them.

I think OW is fooling around with the code on the JG site making it run slow! :D

Attachments

• Angry wolf.jpg
    Angry wolf.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 856
Evil,

You're correct of course but the idea is to have a preferred list like Diaz's for the mainstream guys that come here asking "what to buy" (and what not to buy) The large percentage asking are on a budget. If they want those Seasonics or the Antec Signatures models, etc., they are there if they want them.

yea i know but i didnt see Joeteck post a price or did i miss that? though people on a budget always get the same answer here in the psu section. to always go with a Corsair TX/HX/VX psu, for good reason they are all good for the price.

When one becomes more aware of the they energy they are using. going with a high efficiency psu is the be route to go. i know Joeteck didnt present that POV but i as of late be trying to use less. I have also been looking to find ways to get Green Energy. opps, bit of a rant, sorry guys.

Mushkin HP550

I was perusing the recommended list and noticed the Mushkin HP550 in the 'Stay Away' category and, if based solely on Jonnyguru's review I can see why. However, I put one of those in a budget build for a friend in Aug. '09 and it has been humming along fantastically so far. I bought it from the Egg for $60 and I have definitely paid more for psu's that rated higher and performed worse. All this seems to be moot though, as it appears that particular model is no longer available but, I feel confident to purchase other low cost Mushkin psu's for similar applications in the future.

(Aforementioned psu powering [email protected], 8gb g.skill ram, gigabyte ep43-ud3l, evga 9800gt etc.)

Im glad you and your friend got lucky! Even poor PSU's can still perform, but the risk is mostly mitigated when purchasing a good quality PSU and thats the point of this thread. There will be exceptions, like my two Corsair units crapping out on me, just like a known poor brand working well over time...

Wow, I need to update this - I will as soon as I get back home!

I will start with indicating the discontinued etc...

Update completed, removed discontinued products from the list but left some newer discontinued products in.

Updated the 700Watt modular section, will add more soon.

-D

I hope you will add the seasonic x750. Was surprised I didn't see it there. It is the same as the seasonic x650 with a little more oomph on the 12v rail.

I hope you will add the seasonic x750. Was surprised I didn't see it there. It is the same as the seasonic x650 with a little more oomph on the 12v rail.

Post the link with review which contains crossloads and hotbox testing, I will add it depending on its rating - seasonic usually does really well though.

-D

Back