• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended PSU's - True/Tested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Im glad you and your friend got lucky! Even poor PSU's can still perform, but the risk is mostly mitigated when purchasing a good quality PSU and thats the point of this thread. There will be exceptions, like my two Corsair units crapping out on me, just like a known poor brand working well over time...

Just had my corsair let the magic smoke out as well. Lasted 3 years.

BFG GS series Suck

Built my new computer this week. Put it all together, cable management and all only to hit the power button and no go. Connected a back up power supply to make sure it was the PSU and computer cam e to life.'

Went back and exchanged the PSU the next day. Disconnected back up power supply and was smart enough to first plug in the exchanged BFG GS series 450 watt and again no juice. Connected back up power supply again and get a totally different brand.

BFG really sucks. They should fire the idiot who is testing their PSU's!!

Built my new computer this week. Put it all together, cable management and all only to hit the power button and no go. Connected a back up power supply to make sure it was the PSU and computer cam e to life.'

Went back and exchanged the PSU the next day. Disconnected back up power supply and was smart enough to first plug in the exchanged BFG GS series 450 watt and again no juice. Connected back up power supply again and get a totally different brand.

BFG really sucks. They should fire the idiot who is testing their PSU's!!

They did fire me this week. ;)

What's your build? How do you know you weren't overloading the PSU and protection was kicking in? Failure rate on those PSU's are less than 2%, so two bad ones in a row is really odd.

Keep in mind that a GS-450 is 450W peak and only about 350W continuous. It only has about 25A on the +12V rail, so if you're running any kind of high end graphics card, it's not going to power up.

They did fire me this week. ;)

What's your build? How do you know you weren't overloading the PSU and protection was kicking in? Failure rate on those PSU's are less than 2%, so two bad ones in a row is really odd.

Keep in mind that a GS-450 is 450W peak and only about 350W continuous. It only has about 25A on the +12V rail, so if you're running any kind of high end graphics card, it's not going to power up.

^ what he said. I'd bet money that you're asking too much of the PSU and protection is kicking in.
All 4 BFG PSU's (450, 550, and 2x 1kw+ modles, each with differing OEM) that I received as post review samples from O.W. have been nothing short of solid. I'd lean towards user error, rather than BFG on this one.

What happened to the Antec Truepower "new" 750W? It was on the recommened list and now it's not? I bought it because of the recommendation and the jonny guru rating of 9. It's a seasonic built unit with a 80 bronze certification. I got it off the egg for $89.99, why did it fall off the list?

What happened to the Antec Truepower "new" 750W? It was on the recommened list and now it's not? I bought it because of the recommendation and the jonny guru rating of 9. It's a seasonic built unit with a 80 bronze certification. I got it off the egg for $89.99, why did it fall off the list?

Nick,

Good question, perhaps Diaz will see and comment. As far as I can determine, that Antec model is not yet at EoL or discontinued.

For instance, the Corsair HX520 and HX620 modulars were dropped from Diaz's list probably because they have been replaced by newer models and the HX520 would not be a good choice today for the more powerfull SLI and Crossfire cards.

I personally dont understand why the 520HX and 620HX were dropped actually. They are still plenty powerful for ANY single GPU graphics card on the market and their quality was top notch. The 620 could handle a significant amount of SLI setups as well (GTX 250, HD5850, GTX460 etc)... so... iunno.

Last edited:
I personally dont understand why the 520HX and 620HX were dropped actually. They are still plenty powerful for ANY single GPU graphics card on the market and their quality was top notch.

ED,

They have been discontinued, no one is selling them new now.

I am assuming Corsair feels the HX650 replaces the HX620 and the HX520.

Heh, I ninja'd you...sorry. I dont think the 650HX was near as good as those...but assume thats a replacement, yeah. If they arent selling anymore than that is logical.

EDIT: Since I have had 3 Corsair's cook on me, I decided to just go with Seasonic's X750 in hopes it will be better.

You should be able to add the new Corsair PSUs and new low wattage (400, 460), fanless, X-series PSUs from Seasonic.

matt, you read that review i posted of the fanless. able to do 600watts, while fanless :eek: i would image the 460 would be able to get to 650 or 700 fanless.. built like tanks!

This new AX1200 by Corsair has been fantastic for me so far....but the most impressive PSU I've used lately was the 300W FSP that comes stock in the SUGO SG05 and SG06 cases by Silverstone.

I wrote a full article on a mini-ITX build I finished recently...you can find it here:
http://www.overclockers.com/gaming-tight-spaces-miniitx/

But the part that pertains specifically to this thread is my power consumption testing:
Slide3.jpg

According to Silverstone, you should upgrade the PSU to a higher end model if using a 5850 graphics card.

Graphic card length reference:
ATI Radeon HD 5670 - 6.7"
ATI Radeon HD 5750 - 8.15"
ATI Radeon HD 4850/4830/5770 - 9"
ATI Radeon HD 5850 - 9.5"(ST45SF PSU recommended)
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT - 9"
NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT/GSO - 9"
NVIDIA GeForce 8800GS/GT/GTS - 9"
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250 - 9"

But even with my heavily overclocked system, the 300W PSU is doing great!

I don't think it deserves to be on the list based on my single experience....but if more users report positive results, we should consider it. :)

matt, you read that review i posted of the fanless. able to do 600watts, while fanless :eek: i would image the 460 would be able to get to 650 or 700 fanless.. built like tanks!

I noticed the X-400 listed on Newegg last week, and I thought it was ridiculous that it's the same price as the X-650. Yeah, after reading the reviews you posted I realized it was fanless and was capable of 600W. I still think it's going to be hard to sell a PSU advertised at 400W for $140 when the 650W version is list right beside it for the same price. Not to mention there are other quality 400W PSUs for around $50.

You can ask that sort of question in a new thread next time - no reason to ask about a no name PSU in a thread for recommended PSUs. ;)

The answer however? It's junk:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3085

Made by Youngyear, which doesn't get much press because they generally make junk, but here's some bad press. This youngyear manufactured unit started melting on test #3, and they RMA'd it, and the replacement unit also started melting but from a different spot:
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article/2007/05/23/450w500w_psu_battle_royal/3

The first unit from this review, also built by Youngyear, arrived DOA. It's replacement was working, until the hotbox test where it failed:
http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=144

And my girlfriend thinks the PCB pictures look like a little town, FWIW. :thup:

Back