• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended PSU's - True/Tested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hello i am getting a new PSU able to DUAL SLI GTX 580 in the future or dual 6970 or 6990

CPU : 2600k
RAM : Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
HDD : WD 1TB BLACK
Around 6 120mm FANS
Most Likely Air cooling
CPU COOLER : Coolermasster hyper 212 envo

Any suggestions ? Thinking going for corsair 750hx but was told that i need more than that
GTX580 is ~250w at stock clocks (OCing can raise that a lot), so two of 'em is 500w right off the bat. CPU at stock clocks is another 95w, hdds and motherboard/ram/etc. is another 40-100w.

If you don't overclock a 750w will do the trick. If you want to OC, go for an 850w at least.

Hello i am getting a new PSU able to DUAL SLI GTX 580 in the future or dual 6970 or 6990

CPU : 2600k
RAM : Corsair vengeance 8GB 1600MHz
HDD : WD 1TB BLACK
Around 6 120mm FANS
Most Likely Air cooling
CPU COOLER : Coolermasster hyper 212 envo

Any suggestions ? Thinking going for corsair 750hx but was told that i need more than that

850 would do just fine.. I'm a little biased, but the 1000w seasonic platinum is going for about $250 right now, and it has the best rating I have ever seen a power supply get from Jonny Guru. It would be a bit overkill for your needs, but it would definitely run cool and you would never hear the fan.. If you ever overclock anything you'd still have lots of headroom.

-D

Don't have a hotbox :(
My tester is water cooled, the down side of which is that it's hard to recirculate the heat into the PSU.
On the plus side, it's also totally silent for PSU fan noise analysis.

Don't have a hotbox :(
My tester is water cooled, the down side of which is that it's hard to recirculate the heat into the PSU.
On the plus side, it's also totally silent for PSU fan noise analysis.

Ok, if there is a way you can add heat to the intake of the power supply that would satisfy JG / OW / RT standards, then I will gladly use your reviews in the list. It would be awesome to have resident approved PSU's, but I cannot go back on the agreed rules which are meant to rule out PSU's that cannot maintain spec wattage under heat stress..

Good job on the reviews though! :thup:

Bob,

Photos, a full description, critique and methods used of your test unit and how it compares to the others used for our preferred power supply list would also be helpful, don't you agree?

We want be comparing "oranges to oranges."

RT.

If I may...

I think our reviews from BobN need to be included in this list. I would imagine that very few cases hit 40C temperatures inside so the hotbox testing, while its cool to see, doesnt reflect common, real world case environments. Hell even my ancient Compaq box (with modern internals) with ONE 80mm exhaust on it doesnt hit close to 40C (34C with 21C ambient). In my Antec 900 with good flow, It was a couple C above ambient on full load.

Also, crossloading, and Bobn, please correct me if I am wrong here, is a worst case scenario and intended to beat on the PSU BAD. Modern PC's dont have enough items attached to the minor rails to have all 3 run at max output...

If I am wrong about that information, please stop reading and shake your head in disapproval now...:p

otherwise...

IMNSHO - Just because there isnt a hot box and crossload testing isnt there, doesnt mean we shouldnt include these in the thread as (again if I wasnt mistaking) they are unrealistic loads anyway. I also believe he describes the testing method in the articles. I think its apples to apples already, just JG may be a Granny Smith, while [H] is Red Delicious, and ours are Mcintosh. ;)

Last edited:
Read the review first please, a decent description of everything y'all're wanting a description of is in every review. Gotta read the walls'o'text, the tester is described in electrical detail, and electrical is quite literally the only part that matters for testing a PSU.
It could be shaped like a pear and be covered in christmas lights and tinsel, but an 850w load on it will be identical to an 850w load on a $6000 test rig.
The testers pros and cons compared to a high dollar rig are also detailed in every review.

Crossloading is completely and totally irrelevant on a DC-DC unit like the two units I have tested for OCF so far, and the reason why is also in each review.
The PSU review I finished up this morning got a heavy 12v crossload test, as that is a vaguely realistic load, sort of, and it is an independently regulated unit. The review does not feature a heavy 3.3/5v load, as those are 100% unrealistic with anything even approaching modern hardware. Those tests date back to before the pentium 4!

Hot box testing would be nice, but like ED said the sorts of cases used with the PSUs picked from Diaz's list have enough airflow that the PSU isn't going to see more than maybe 10c over ambient at most.

In conclusion, please read the entirety of the reviews before passing judgement and asking questions.

Bob,

Photos, a full description, critique and methods used of your test unit and how it compares to the others used for our preferred power supply list would also be helpful, don't you agree?

We want be comparing "oranges to oranges."

RT.

Yep.. Bob just speak to OW, ask him what he would consider for you to do if you want your recommended PSU's to end up on our list here..

If I may...

1. Bob does crossloads.

2. Hot box testing is for simulating hot rooms, hot ambients. Case temps are part of it.. I live in Canada, and during summer months my house reaches over 35C. Imagine our other members from equatorial countries.

3. The reason for these standards are as RT said, to compare oranges to oranges. It doesn't have to be identical, or expensive gear etc... it just has to be within decent parameters.

None of this is meant to be "real world" per se, but just about a high standard of testing for our guarantee of reliability for this thread. Although I trust bob does sufficient testing to prove a PSU, I still need just a few adjustments to add it to the list.

However, nothing stops you from suggesting them on the forum threads.

Read the review first please, a decent description of everything y'all're wanting a description of is in every review.

Bob, your reviews are awesome, you have great descriptions and the open PSU examination is fantastic. Your reviews are of high quality and exceed standards across the internet. The only thing that is needed for this list is the additional heat stress and RT's suggestions would also help. The reason is what I mentionned above, it has to be at least close to par with the JG reviews and hardocp (examples).

Some reviews push the rail wattages above specs to see how far they can go before regulation goes down the drain.. But this it not necessary to make it here.

Meanwhile I can add the link on the front page, but they wont make the list until the standards are met.

-D

Yep.. Bob just speak to OW, ask him what he would consider for you to do if you want your recommended PSU's to end up on our list here..
I don't really care when you get down to it, I simply wanted you to know that there is another resource for you to pull PSUs from.
If they aren't up to your previously unstated standards that is fine.
I gain absolutely nothing from having my PSUs on this list anyway, and it does not bother me if they are not listed.

None of this is meant to be "real world" per se, but just about a high standard of testing for our guarantee of reliability for this thread. Although I trust bob does sufficient testing to prove a PSU, I still need just a few adjustments to add it to the list.
I don't know about you, but I live in the real world and want parts that function in the real world.

Clearly you do not believe the PSUs have been proved, or we would not have had this discussion.

However, nothing stops you from suggesting them on the forum threads.
Don't worry, nothing will.

Bob, your reviews are awesome, you have great descriptions and the open PSU examination is fantastic. Your reviews are of high quality and exceed standards across the internet.
Thanks.

The defining factor to buy a Antec HCP 1200kw was this "Typically, I'll see a PSU shut off at 10% over whatever the OCP is set to, but on the HCP 1200, I had the load on the 8-pin cranked up to the maximum I'm able to put on a single connector, 40.98A, and the PSU never shut down." My SilverStone 1000kw would shut down on high OC's, after I bought the Antec HCP 1200kw I haven't been able to shut her down. Thank You Bobnova for a GREAT review and helping me to make a solid decision for the right PSU for my rig. Here is a pic of my power usage after I installed the HCP runnning a high OC IMG_1070.jpg Again Thank You! TJ

If they aren't up to your previously unstated standards that is fine.

Yeah they have been there since the beginning..

This is a quick reference to which power supplies are generally accepted as a great choice for reliability / performance.

To make this list, power supplies must use quality parts and be CROSSLOAD/HOTBOX tested. Temps should be 40-45C

Please post these here and I will update the first post as people report them. Please link a review supporting and confirming your statement.

The defining factor to buy a Antec HCP 1200kw was this "Typically, I'll see a PSU shut off at 10% over whatever the OCP is set to, but on the HCP 1200, I had the load on the 8-pin cranked up to the maximum I'm able to put on a single connector, 40.98A, and the PSU never shut down." My SilverStone 1000kw would shut down on high OC's, after I bought the Antec HCP 1200kw I haven't been able to shut her down. Thank You Bobnova for a GREAT review and helping me to make a solid decision for the right PSU for my rig. Here is a pic of my power usage after I installed the HCP runnning a high OC Again Thank You! TJ

That wasn't actually my review, but I appreciate the vote of confidence.

Diaz, if that middle line has been there the whole time then I missed it, and feel silly on that front.
Be aware however: Not all the PSUs on the list were tested at 40c+.

Be aware however: Not all the PSUs on the list were tested at 40c+.

Aw crap.. I admit I might have missed a few hotbox checks when doing larger updates, if you find one let me know I will look at it.

Also, I have just went through a bunch of them and all the JG reviews seem to have the hotbox, but it doesn't always specify it in the same way. Sometimes you have to look further into the review to see the temps and/or method.

Thanks for the heads up. :D

Bobn's should be on this list. Seriously.

OW did not make or define this list and had nothing to do with it AFAIK (i recall you and I talking about this diaz when the list was actually created), so what will asking him accomplish? Nothing. He has the best testing around arguably for sure. But hotbox testing shouldnt be a requirement for this list. Ripple, noise, and the PSU actually reaching its output without shutting down are plenty good enough for 99% of people. If you would like, you can add an "*" to BObn's reviews that do not have the hotbox and crossload testing.

There is a reason we asked Bobn to do PSU reviews for us and thats because he has the right equipment to test it that is good enough for the majority of people to make an educated decision about the PSU. Ripple, noise, and output are good enough.

EDIT: Diaz, can you explain why you have hotbox testing and crossload testing a requirement in the first place? Why are both important to an average user looking for a PSU? And where in canada does it get to 95F in the summer? And at those temps, turn on the AC. ;) :p

Last edited:
EDIT: Diaz, can you explain why you have hotbox testing and crossload testing a requirement in the first place? Why are both important to an average user looking for a PSU? And where in canada does it get to 95F in the summer? And at those temps, turn on the AC. ;) :p

Yes, crossload and hotbox testing are verifying that manufacturer claims do performed as advertised on the box. When you read the sticker with the amperage on the rails, you expect them to work to that level, especially when you spend the money on it. The manufacturer claims are supposed to work at the heat torture crossload. Most reviewers include ripple and noise testing, which is only half of the equation.

Why does a heat torture crossload make a difference? Because a lot of manufacturers inflate their numbers to increase sales, which in turn screws the customer of his hard earned cash. For the PSU's to perform as such, they must utilize proper quality parts and be manufactured to high standards. In this respect, even if you don't use a full crossload during gaming, at least you feel safe pushing things a little bit and feel confident. At the same time, you also reduce your noise levels and heat exhaust since a better PSU will generally be more efficient.

Lastly, this is an enthusiast forum. A large part of the population will be fine with X brand and Y ratings, and then if it fails they buy another one. Here, the list is meant for people who want to do it right from the start, and are enthusiasts, overclockers, and/or want true and tested gear for their money. :D

Any words on this RT?

Edit: I completely agree that bob's reviews should be included in this list. It is not OW's list, but the standard set is what makes this list the reliable one I can completely vouch for without a worry.

Last edited:
Are crossload tests still relevant considering what little use the minor rails get?
Can you tell me what is powered by the 3.3v and 5v rails these days? Of the items that require those voltages, how many amps would they take up at a worst case scenario like stress testing or gaming?
Does stress testing or gaming really crossload a PSU?

I guess Im just asking for *some* support as to WHY you have those tests as a requirement outside of, 'JG does it'. I dont know why he does it, and tend to think they are important, but (from what little I know) there isnt much load on the minor rails these days so crossload testing may not be as relevant as it was a few years ago when items were powered with the minor rails instead of the 12v. As far as hotbox... again thats worst case scenario stuff...for our 3 users living on the equator or that place in Canada that hits 95F.

I dont know. Im not a PSU guy, I could be assbackwards in my thinking of it. But there hasnt been any supporting information presented. I will PM OW and see what he says about the whole thing. ;)

Last edited:
Are crossload tests still relevant considering what little use the minor rails get?

3.3/5V crossload, no. 12V crossload, absolutely.

Why do I do them? Easy way to tell an indy regulated unit without opening the thing up.

Back