• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Recommended PSU's - True/Tested

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Units reviewed before 2012

Modular PSU's:

350Watt+
Corsair TX550M
Kingwin Lazer Platinum 550
Rosewill Silent Night 500*Fanless
Seasonic X-400*Fanless
Seasonic X-560
Superflower Golden King 550
Superflower Golden Silent 500 *Fanless

600Watt+
Corsair HX650
Rosewill Hive 650W
Seasonic X-650

700Watt+
Corsair AX750
Corsair HX750
Cougar S700 700
Enermax Modu87+ 700
OCZ Fatal1ty 750
Rosewill Tachyon 750
Seasonic X-760
Silverstone Strider Plus 750
Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 750
Thermaltake Toughpower XT 750
Thermaltake Toughpower XT 775
XFX XPS Black Edition 750
Xigmatek NRP-MC702

800Watt+
Antec CP-850
Corsair AX850
Corsair HX850
Enermax Revolution 85+ 850
GlacialTech GP-AX950AA 950
Kingwin Lazer Gold 850
OCZ Z Series 850
NZXT HALE82 850
NZXT HALE90 850
Sentey GSP850-SM
Toughpower XT 850
XFX 850 Black Edition

1000Watt+
Antec CP-1000
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1050
Corsair HX1000
Enermax Revolution 87+ 1000
Kingwin Lazer 1000
Kingwin Lazer Gold 1000
Kingwin Mach 1 1000
OCZ ZX 1000
Rosewill TACHYON 1000 80+ Platinum
Seasonic Platinum 1000W
Sentey LTP1000-SM
Thortech Thunderbolt 1000
XFX Pro Series 1000 Black Edition

1200Watt+
Antec High Current Pro 1200
Antec Truepower Quattro 1200
Cooler Master Silent Pro Hybrid 1300
Corsair AX1200
Enermax Galaxy Evo 1250
Enermax Revolution 85+ 1020
Rosewill Lightning 1300
Sparkle Gold Class 1250
Silverstone ST1500 1500
Thortech Thunderbolt 1200

Non-Modular PSU's:

300Watt+
Corsair CX430
Seasonic SS-300TFX 300
Silverstone ST45NF 450 *Fanless
Xigmatek NRP-PC501 500

500Watt+
BFG LS550 550
Corsair VX550
Seasonic S12 II Bronze 520
Xigmatek NRP-PC502 500

600Watt+
Enermax Eco80+ 620
Tagan PipeRock II 680
XFX Core Edition 650

700Watt+
Antec Earthwatts 750
Rosewill Capstone 750
XFX Core Edition 750

800Watt+
Antec HCP-850
Antec HCG-900
Corsair TX850 V2
Corsair TX950 950
Enermax Revolution 85+ 850
PC Power & Cooling Silencer 910
Silverstone Element ST85EF 850
XFX Core Edition Pro 850

1000Watt+
BFG LS1000 1000
BFG LS1200 1250
Silverstone OP1000-P 1000
Thortech Thunderbolt Plus 1000

Last edited:
I have been reading the suggestions from mods / senior members from different threads. Consequently, I will make a bit more research before I post any further in this thread. Stay tuned for the next update.

-D

Diaz,

Everyone respects your enthusiasm on your project, I know I do. As long as you understand the scope of your undertaking and not get discouraged, I'm sure many will contribute or point out errors (via PM).

A few suggestions:

Segregate them by power output (ie 400-500w, 500-600 etc.)

Perhaps list modulars separately. I know I have to look from time to time to see if they are or not. I can't remember them all.

Simple is better.

yea could be ordered like
*non-mudular*
400-550
550-700
700-850
850+
*modular*
400-550
550-700
700-850
850+

dont worry with prices since that will be very hard to do. JG forum had a suggested 80%+ eff psu thread, they had prices listed or linked to e-tailers. since stock changed and some stopped carrying x brand/model it was hard to keep it up to date. I would just keep it updated with what is still retail vs what is no longer retail.

Thanks guys, that order is pretty much what I had in mind. Price and looks are not relevant, its all about quality and performance. Then issues such as the Liberty's melting glue becoming a conducting material would also scratch out the PSU's.

I have been looking at all the Jonny reviews, and to be honest, there are not a HUGE amount of mainstream 500-700 PSU's in there; which is probably the most popular in these forums. I will have to source some reviews from other places as well to try to get some of those wattages in there. Keeping busy...

-D

Thanks guys, that order is pretty much what I had in mind. Price and looks are not relevant, its all about quality and performance. Then issues such as the Liberty's melting glue becoming a conducting material would also scratch out the PSU's.

I have been looking at all the Jonny reviews, and to be honest, there are not a HUGE amount of mainstream 500-700 PSU's in there; which is probably the most popular in these forums. I will have to source some reviews from other places as well to try to get some of those wattages in there. Keeping busy...

-D

Diaz,

I agree, consider listing the "recommended" only with the model number, test source with a URL if you feel up to it. We don't give a rat's butt about the boat anchors. Give the testing sites the page hits, they've earned it. Might want to consider PMing S/N and OW for their opinions of source site reviews besides jonnyguru and [H]ardop. Not everyone does it the same or reliably. Three reliable and noted test sources such as S/N suggested would keep any "But he said, they said.........." arguments to a minimum.

When you list the model number, guys can search for it at many different retailers. Not everyone is in North America either.

I have been looking at all the Jonny reviews, and to be honest, there are not a HUGE amount of mainstream 500-700 PSU's in there; which is probably the most popular in these forums.

Mainstream units don't bring in the page hits and thus result in fewer advertising dollars with which to pay the site's bills ;)

Most units below 600W. Unless they blow up in testing, people don't seem to care about reading those reviews.

Just a quick note - I usually don't go out of my way to test at 50 degrees. Sometimes I'll just "happen" to let them get that hot or hotter, but usually it's unintentional. When I see them start passing 50, I'll crack the hot box open just a shade and let things restabilize ;)

Just a quick note - I usually don't go out of my way to test at 50 degrees. Sometimes I'll just "happen" to let them get that hot or hotter, but usually it's unintentional. When I see them start passing 50, I'll crack the hot box open just a shade and let things restabilize ;)

I trust your reviews, whether they are 50C or not. Usually the manufacturer will display if they were rated at 50C. If this is true, it will show in normal testing, yeilding better than specs power handling.

EDIT: lol the tests are 45C... my bad

-D

Last edited:
And here I am giving out warranties on my work anyway ;)

Of course, I've only ever needed to make good on one of my warranties a couple of times... and one of those times was a unit I had never opened up... and the other time the unit was working and it proved to be a compatibility issue...

And a fine job you did (I was the compatibility issue). My replacement was here in days, and now I am the proud owner of a CWT1200PUC. This thing could power my whole house!

BTW. Nice thread guys. A very good idea.

Why not the 500w FSP Blue Storm II? They are nice little units when they aren't too hot, but missing MOV.

OklahomaWolf said:
The Good:
does full power at 45 degrees
the color scheme is nice
sleeving is well done
controls ripple well
efficiency is quite good below 40 degrees

The Bad:
efficiency takes a dive when the blueberry gets too hot

The Mediocre:

no MOV - I hate cost cutting. Let's add that back in, shall we FSP?

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story3&reid=84

Last edited:
Clearly its on the edge...

Summary

You missed the recommendation by *that* much, FSP. If you can pull the voltage regulation in just a bit and make it just a smidgen more tolerant to high temps, you'll have a real winner here.

As it stands now, this unit is a very good choice for those who just need something halfway reliable that does its job capably. The price isn't ridiculous, it looks good, it doesn't get real loud unless you bake it, and it can be easily found anywhere in North America.

Clearly its on the edge...

Cal,

I agree. Diaz's list should only include "no brainers" and not power supplies with too many "if's." There are too many top-notch units that stand alone above the rest to be guessing at others.

WS,

I'm not saying the Fortron is junk at all, it's just getting long in the tooth and there are better choices for the same or less money. The main purpose of Diaz's thread is to have the new guys or those with questions look at his list and buy without any reservations. He's done a fine job so far.

Back