• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cant OC His 4850 Turbo past 680 core.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Question

Registered
As title. Tried 700, black screen with "Ati driver has stopped responding". 690 does same thing. What gives, i thought this was an awesome overclockable card?

My previous card had the same problem, luckily the distributor let me bring it in for an exchange and this is the 2nd HIS 4850 card i have, and judging from the warranty date i am fairly sure its from the same batch of cards as my previous one. Cant OC well either.

Edit : Apparently 680 core blacks screens on me too. Down to 670 now.

Last edited:
As title. Tried 700, black screen with "Ati driver has stopped responding". 690 does same thing. What gives, i thought this was an awesome overclockable card?

My previous card had the same problem, luckily the distributor let me bring it in for an exchange and this is the 2nd HIS 4850 card i have, and judging from the warranty date i am fairly sure its from the same batch of cards as my previous one. Cant OC well either.

Edit : Apparently 680 core blacks screens on me too. Down to 670 now.

Tryi reinstalling your drivers and running driver sweeper, see if that helps. Some cards just don't overclock well, how old is this card.

How old? Like one month. Ive already tried reinstalling drivers and using drivercleaner, doesnt seem to have helped. Incidentally drivercleaner caused the driver installation to constantly fail, it was a pain in the *** to fix it. Actually i dont really remember how i managed to fix that problem...

I see a lot of people reporting no problem hitting 710 core on this card.

I've had 2 4850's, one Visiontek and one Asus EAH, both would only do 660ish stable. The Asus TOP cards are a different story.

Yea but the HIS 4850 Turbo comes at 650 core and is supposedly an awesomely overclockable card, and like i said people have been reporting 700+ core with it easily.

If you want to overclock further, you will need to up the voltage. I suggest first flashing through Radeon Bios Editor and upping to 1.16V.

But it is true that it goes by the card, some overclock well and some don't. My card can't do 725 at 1.16V, and I don't think I'm gonna hardmod. I had a brief discussion with W1zzard from techpowerup, he linked me to a lot of the cards he tested in his reviews that he couldn't overclock past where you're at, even some cards that were sold with light overclocks.

Crap i have to do a BIOS flash and up the voltage just to OC the card? Damn, i must have gotten a bad batch or something...others with the same card can OC it without doing anything special.

So what are the chances of screwing up the BIOS or frying the card when upping the voltage?

I've had 2 4850's, one Visiontek and one Asus EAH, both would only do 660ish stable. The Asus TOP cards are a different story.

Asus TOP cards are awesome. I have mine at 720 for everyday use. The ram sucks though =/

Crap i have to do a BIOS flash and up the voltage just to OC the card? Damn, i must have gotten a bad batch or something...others with the same card can OC it without doing anything special.

So what are the chances of screwing up the BIOS or frying the card when upping the voltage?

If you go to techpowerup.com they have a program radeon bios editor (RBE) that's very easy to use. I've flashed a couple 4850's several times and it was painless each time. W1zzard and the forum moderators on that site are quite helpful as well.

My card's bios doesnt have voltage setting for 1.16v. It goes from 1.082 to 1.120v. So i guess i will use that then.

Edit : Oh the bios voltage settings jumps from 1.12 to 1.158, i must have missed that.

Last edited:
I've got a Sapphire 4850 and without any mods, other than the HR-03 and ramsinks, I'm able to run 700/1100 without any issues.

I want to flash the bios, but don't have a USB flashdrive :-/. I've flashed all my video cards up to this point using a floppy drive.

As for drivers, using the 8.10's as all the newer ones are crap. Just using the driver alone, not the CCC and use RivaTuner to clock the card.

Im thinking of flashing straight from windows using RBE/Winflash. How risky is it to screw up the BIOS this way? I unfortunately have no thumb drive/floppy.

So i set voltage to 1.1580, i cant get past 680 core...680 seems stable so far but 690 will black screen on me with the ATI driver failure message in about 5 minutes of warhammer online.

what kind of temps is your card hitting at load? what type of cooling do you have on it. it could be heat holding you back too. its unlikely as it sounds more like your card is just topping out but still could be a factor.

Well the cooler is the ICEQ4 one.

At load ATM its around 66 degrees celsius with 75% permanent fan speed.

Im still confused why my card is topping out at 680 when many others with the exact same brand and model of card have no problem hitting at least 710 without any bios voltage mods.

Maybe i just got one(two actually, since this is a card i exchanged my original for) from a crappy batch?

What PSU are you running and what are your system specs?

It's very possible that you just got a poor OC'ing card. I have a Sapphire 4850 that won't do anything past 670 even with a voltage bump. The temps are well within safe limits (45C idle, 57C with fan @ 100%) but it just can't handle the higher MHz.

I've got a Visiontek 4850 that runs everyday @ 700/1200 without any mods and the stock cooler. The temps never go over 62C under full load. It just goes to show that you never know when you're gonna get a gem :)

Im running a antec earthwatts 500w.

My specs are :

E6750 oced to 3.2 ghz
2x1 GB DDR2 667 rams oced to ddr2800
Gigabyte p35 DS3
Creative x-fi soundblaster
One internal network card since my motherboard's network adapter appears to be broken somehow
1 320gb HDD
One cdrom drive

Just remember ANY oc @ all's just icing on the cake. If you can keep that state of mind, no oc will ever turn your day around on ya. :D FWIW, my Diamond 4850 would not budge past 650/1050 on stock cooling. Stuck my old HR-03 Plus/SFLEX 1200RPM on yesterday and it's stable @ 700/1100 w/ load temps of 44 C. What does GPU-Z tell you about the other temps? Here's my idle and 3 minute FurMark load to compare:

Room temp: 22.1 C
gpuidle.jpg gpuload.jpg

Did you put any extra cooling on the voltage regulators? I only have the Thermalright sinks on mine, but there's plenty of extra air being blown @ them.

Last edited:
Back