• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP related Q's...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RainMaQer

3D God
Ok I just got XP up and runnin... I keep reading different things...
1: What's the compatability thing?
2: How do I make the Admin or Primary username the same as the computer name. Eg... I made the computer name RainMaQer... but when it asked for me to list users it would not let me select this... only MY first name (or something else I assume)
3: How do I know if DMA is enabled on my new DVD player?

Thanks...:p

1 - Compatibility mode is where it makes the program run on another base os to be ran correctly.

IE You may need to setup somethings to Win 98/ME to run or something just situations like that.

2 - Why would you want to change the user name and stuff as your main account is now Administrator.

3 - Device Manager.

Yodums

1: is this done somewhere in the os? I mean is there a setting you change?
2: I want to use "RainMaQer" instead of MY name...
3: I went into device manager and didn't see that setting... does it do it automaticly?

To view the compatibility mode settings, I believe you right click on the program icon, choose properties, and you should be able to choose a compatibilty tab...the settings are in there.

The computer name and user name cannot be the same do to network issues. If you want to use the current computer name as your user name then you must first change the computer name to something else. Just go into the network properties and you can change the computer name. Then logon as Administrator and create the user profile using the name that you want.

for the DMA thing.. these settings are on the IDE or SCSI controller's page in device manager, not on the cd-rom, dvd-rom or hdds page itself. check there and you'll see in which mode the devices on the controller are running. :)

Back