• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wiring in a 24V DC Fan?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gunrunner

Registered
I just found two Comair Rotron Patriot 172mm x 52mm fans which put out 235 CFM. The only problem is they are 24 volts. If I can find out how to wire them in I think my case will hover. Anyone out there that has wired in fans that were above 12 volts who may have a link to a "how to page" or any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

gunrunner said:
I just found two Comair Rotron Patriot 172mm x 52mm fans which put out 235 CFM. The only problem is they are 24 volts. If I can find out how to wire them in I think my case will hover. Anyone out there that has wired in fans that were above 12 volts who may have a link to a "how to page" or any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

well u wont get 24v off ur psu.. u could get a ratshack dc adapter and use that..

If you have an extra power supply, you can get 24 volts out of it. Take a yellow wire and ground it with the -12v line on the motherboard connector (usually the light blue one, it should specify which one it is on the label). This should get 24 volts. It's probably in your interest to use it at 12 volts, though. At 24 volts, you'll go deaf soon

I've seen those at the local Surplus Electronics store and was curious how they worked at 12V. As big as their form factor is, I bet you'd still get some good circulation at 12V and quieter also. That is assuming they will spin up at 12V.

Hoot

Will try to fire them up at 12 Volts this weekend. They are rated at 235 CFM and 3500 RPM at 24 Volts so 12 should still see pretty good output if they will run at that. No specs found on minimum they will run at. I thought that 17 Volts might give good preformance but like the 24 Volt question I had no idea how to do it. Will post results this weekend. Thanks for the interest and the responses.

Well ,well they work great. Blew all the notes of my bench at 24 volts (20 Volts by my meter - Old AT PS). Works good at 12v but just great at 17v. Air flow opposed to noise level seems best at 17v. I got these things in a surplus place for $5 for the pare so hard to go wrong. Will mount one blowing in the side panel and one sucking out the top of an old AT tower that should keep a K6 450 case just about room temp. Thanks for the help.

Back