• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

install windows from USB?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdf_warrior

I just wanted to know if it was possible to install XP/Vista from a USB drive? My wife is extremely rough on computers.. Broke the cd-rom drive in the Sony Vaio she has. I literally had to ram the drive back in. She broke the railing that made the drive slide in and out somehow, I havent actually tried the drive yet, I'm just assuming its dead. Either way, it doesnt exactly pop in and out anymore. I dont need to do a reinstall right now, but when and if the time comes, can I copy the windows install files to a jump drive and install from it? If I have a, say 8gb usb drive, just copy the install files to the drive, set the boot priority in the bios, and let it boot the jump drive?

While it IS possible to do like that you may not choose that option as it will take quite a while(especially Vista) to install. That is quite a bit longer than a CD or DVD drive will take.

Z

It works, I have a few patriot xt drives laying around so I figured I'd make use of one and see if it really worked using the same guide that I found on a different site, only took about 20 min to install ultimate from start to finish which is way faster than what it takes using the dvd

Nice.. thanks for the replies guys..

For the replies mentioning purchasing an external cd drive, I realize that, that is an option, but this is an old laptop. I will be buying her a new one soon, and this one will become mine. I plan on getting another laptop at some point for myself, but I may stick linux on it or reinstall windows on it just to have something to play with. I dont wanna put more money in it because its prob not worth it

Back