• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need opinions! AMD or INTEL, look inside.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

joewitafro

Registered
Pretty much I am going to be buying a new computer soon, and can't decide what I want to do, the last time I upgraded my computer was probably 4 years ago lol, currently running an x800 pro and amd 64 3000+ 1.6ghz, time to upgrade. The case I will be using is a thermaltake xaser III (getting it for 30 bucks), and arctic cooling freezer 7 Pro, or arctic cooling freezer 64 Pro

Intel setup:

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR DOMINATOR 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066
PC Power & Cooling 750W power supply
western digital 500gig hard drive
BFG Tech GeForce 9800 GTX OC 512MB video card

Total = $536.99 shipped after rebates

AMD setup:

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5400 Brisbane 2.8GHz black edition
Foxconn A7GM-S motherboard
PC Power & Cooling 750W power supply

Total = $485 shipped after rebates

What should I go for? I use my computer for gaming. COD4, Counterstrike source, BF2, fallout 3, crysis, etc.. other than that I use it for internet, and messenging/email.

I will like to overclock either setup. I've heard the x2 5400 BE easily goes to 3.2ghz, and the intel can easily go to 3.5ghz.

I have a feeling the intel setup is going to let you oc much farther I would go with that imo.

You wont need that PSU at all. I'd get something a bit less powerful, especially considering you wont be crossfiring with that card and motherboard combination. In fact, if you wanted to save a bit more, you could go with an ATi 4850 which will do better in a lot of games anyway, and then get reliable 600-ish watt PSU to save a good chunk of money, allowing you to grab a E8400 for your CPU

I'd go for the intel setup, X2s aren't very impressive even when overclocked and I did some quick reading and found it doesn't take a miracle to push the E5200 to 4Ghz stable with good air cooling if the mobo allows lots of mem adjustments but Damn AMD for not being worthy enough to recommend anything they have.

I can vouch for the e8400 if you can get it. I oc'd mine to 4.0 while staying in recommended volts

i say wait for some real world tests when AMD's 45nm comes out and decide from there. pretty bleak lookin though.

if your lucky you get a good chip like i do but its still a chore to get to where you want to go.

ok well ive been switching around my stuff using the Intel. I downgraded the powersupply to a 550w rosewill and upgraded the cpu to a E7200. New total is 559 shipped after rebates.

Btw.. there is no 4850 cheaper than what I have in my list. I want to keep this under 600. that E8400 is $170

New list:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz
GIGABYTE GA-EP45-UD3R LGA 775 Intel P45 ATX Intel Motherboard
Rosewill 550W power supply

It's worth it for 170, IMO it's worth the 200 dollars extra to go with an E8400 and the HD4850. You also will have the option later to another 4850 and X-fire. I think the setup looks good for now, but I think in the near future you will end up upgrading again anyhow. Also just wondering what kinda monitor you have and what res.

The HD 4850 and the 9800gtx are the same price....

e8400= 151.05

http://www.smksuperstore.com/products/viewproduct.ashx?ID=32255&ref=95eb9f2ec613878860b567fe02173c0e

Last edited:
The only reason im upgrading now is the games i play. I just want them to play smoother. I mean i've played cs:s and bf2 in leagues and had no problems, but would like to bump up the settings so i can play some other games easier. I doubt i will go crossfire, or really need the E8400 to overclock to 4ghz. I think the 7200 will be fine and overclock it to 3.5ghz and be happy with it.

keep an eye on the OCZ stealth x stream PSU's, they usually get really cheap every once in a while any they are decent PSUs

Will do. I think it will be 2 months before i can save up enough, so hopefully prices drop a little bit.. Maybe i'll find a E8400 for $100? hehe

well, there's a new cpu that just came out. the e7400
it is priced between the e8400 and e7300, here in Australia anyway.
runs at 2.8ghz and can also reach 4ghz. it's a bit cheaper than the e8400 if you can find one:thup:

also, in 2 months time, i'm sure yuo'll be able to git a 4850 into that pricelist. new ATi cards (or updates) are due to come out in the next few months, so prices will drop. also, it's better than the GTX/GTX+ because the card is physically shorter. so you won't run into any case problems (i swear the GTX is like 13") lol.

good luck

EDIT: i forgot, i'd recommend an vx550 or hx 620 PSU from Corsair for your system ;)

i would rather have the corsair 450VX power that rig then a rosewill 550watt... that is if your tight on money otherwise the 550VX and 650TX have MIR's for $20-30 at newegg.com

is the rosewill not a good PSU? I was looking at a corsair 550w-600w. I dont know how much I need to power this system. I will be running a 500gig hd, and a 80 gig ide, cdrw, and dvd rom. and about 7-8 fans.

rosewill = bargin bin PSU's, might be good for a really low powered system. most cases the psu wattage rating is done with a really low AMB intake temp. meaning that they could use cold air at like 20-25c vs corsair that has their tested 45-50C for operation at that wattage. it really does make a big difference since after all you psu will be in the case. Over time the air inside the case will get hotter and the psu is sucking that air in to cool it self.

thats about 60 more dollars, and is the lowest end 260 video card out.

I think im going to stick with the 9800GTX OC, i really like BFG tech. I just have to decide whether I want the E7200 or E5200. the 7200 has 1 more mb of cache or whatever.. but honestly I just want something that will overclock to 3.5ghz easy and run bf2/cod4/cs:s fast for me.

Hopefully in 2 months I can find a good deal on everything

Back