• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

WMP11 Slow To Seek in MP3s

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Foxie3a

Normal Member
Hey guys,

I have Win2008 Enterprise 64bit, fully updated, and all my drivers are the latest. I am using the Auzen X-FI Prelude sound card. I have disabled everything to do with the libarary, it shouldn't be doing anything but playing my MP3s.

Loading is instant, and there are no sync problems. Previously on Win2003 there were no issues what so ever, however with the switch, a problem has presented itself.

While an MP3 is playing, if I want to skip to a certain part of the song, there is a delay. It's a little under a second. Of course there will always be somewhat of a delay with compressed audio, but it is long enough to get me frustrated. It's definitely a software problem, probably with WMP11 itself, or maybe something I'm not aware of within Win2008. I've done a few searches, but the threads I've found with people who have similar problems didn't find a resolution. If I don't resolve it, I'm getting another media player, probably back down to WMP10 if I can.

Thanks!

Edit: FYI, I use the Fraunhofer IIS MP3 Codec. Just downloaded and installed the newest version, but that didn't fix it. I have tested other formats, including video, and WMP11 skips instantaneously in them, so it's just an MP3 issue. Maybe I'll try getting another codec.

Last edited:
Wish I could confirm that for you, but of the songs I've tried, seeking is virtually instant.
What are the MP3s like, ie quality, bit rate, are any of them variable bit rate? I have read
that VBR MP3s can exhibit some different behaviours.

I generally try to have the best quality MP3s, but it delays even with low bitrate ones. It doesn't discriminate against bit rate, whether it's constant or variable.

It should be instant, there's just something being stupid. I think I'll try a different MP3 decoder tomorrow.

Back