• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

do i need xboxstat.exe running?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jayfella

Just a quick question,

after installing my xbox 360 controller for windows there is a program "xboxstat.exe" running in the background.

Firstly what does it do?

Secondly, do i need it running in order for the controller to work properly in all games?

Many thanks.

have you tried using the controller while the process was not running?

i don't recall having that exe running, but i can't check since i'm at work. i plugged in the wireless adapter and the found new hardware wizard went online and got the drivers. that's all i remember about it. i would think that you don't need it. drivers alone should make it work, shouldn't need an app running to have a working controller.

yeah ill give it a try now, but if it works, then wth is it there for then?

ill report back with my findings.

EDIT: Well all seems to be fine, so it brings me to the next question, whats it there for?

I notice that if i press the xbox button that a wierd little program that doesnt actually do anything doesnt appear anymore,...

Last edited:
Let me try and add my findings on the issue

I had also, apparently, acquired the xboxstat.exe process along with some controller drivers. While I was once again fooled by my own thinking of "oh comon, it's [blank] (in this case xbox) .. can't be THAT horrible, right?"

I tend to edit a lot of HD video (for fun), and while I haven't spent a fortune, I do have a machine that's optimized for it with plenty of processing/mem/gpu power, and 4 HDDs for spreading I/Os around.

As it turned out, this tiny little **** process (xboxstat.exe) was actually responsible for not only slowing my entire pc down - by choking one of my HDDs - but could've even harmed the said HDD. For no reason yet apparent to me, this process was accessing files from Batman Arkham City. Now this could of course be due to some awkward behavior from the game's side, but let me give you my take anyway.

What I do know, is that the game files were accessed continuously without reason (the game had not been played or even touched in weeks, multiple system restarts since). While normal for a stat gatherer, the amount of data read was simply ridiculous. I was working on my latest edit in After Effects CS5, and Xboxstat.exe was still managing to top the list in terms of data read.

I got most of this from windows' resource monitor. The game files were accessed through the windows hosts, which also made the initial tracking of the problem a little harder. Luckily, it was the only thing that made sense (no other games), otherwise I might've had a lot of trouble narrowing it down. Surely enough, once I ended the process, all the host processes stopped accessing the Batman files, my HDD doesnt sound like it's about to die anymore, and all is well.

For anyone reading, aside of fixing my problem, I have not tested this enough to be sure of anything, and I clearly can't be certain. But if you're having similar issues, do check this out for yourself. Hope it may help someone in the future.

Grr xbox.. grr.

Thanks for the input Grr....!! that was really appreciated, and here I thought I needed it for me to connect my XBOX to my computer..!! Boy was I fooled, not the first time around in this crazy computer world, LOL. But I did get on line and look up how to connect my xbox to my computer and luckily they had enough web sites telling you exactly how to do it, thank God..heehee.
Yours Truly
Vince Farmer

I figured it was the process that quickly shows you the little controller info window when you press the center xbox button while the controller is on. I turned it off and that function ceased to work. I'm not making fun of you though, most people don't know it exists. By the way it uses a whopping 1.4Mb of RAM so there is no need to panic.

Back