• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Few Q's about networking/remote access

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

Ok first off I am running 3mb Verizon DSL (not the crap plan, but the next step up since no FIOS in my area yet), and using a few different speed test programs I am getting about 2.8mb worth of bandwidth. Is there anyway to get the extra 200kbs to cap out my speed? I don't mind upgrading my modem if that would help.

Second question is this...

basically I am my families "computer tech", and I am forced to drive to everyone's house all the time it seems. Gets kinda annoying for me, and was hoping I could do any software modifications via remote assistance. I've never used it before, but I have a pretty good understanding of what it does.

How would I go about actually doing it? Like do I need the persons IP address? Do I use software? IDK honestly how to start it lol. I am running Win XP Pro SP3, and my family members are running either XP Home/Pro or Win 2k pro.

Ok first off I am running 3mb Verizon DSL (not the crap plan, but the next step up since no FIOS in my area yet), and using a few different speed test programs I am getting about 2.8mb worth of bandwidth. Is there anyway to get the extra 200kbs to cap out my speed? I don't mind upgrading my modem if that would help.

Second question is this...

basically I am my families "computer tech", and I am forced to drive to everyone's house all the time it seems. Gets kinda annoying for me, and was hoping I could do any software modifications via remote assistance. I've never used it before, but I have a pretty good understanding of what it does.

How would I go about actually doing it? Like do I need the persons IP address? Do I use software? IDK honestly how to start it lol. I am running Win XP Pro SP3, and my family members are running either XP Home/Pro or Win 2k pro.

with remote access, i suguest LOGmein its straightfoward and you dont need to do anything but log in on their machines and install the software off the webstie.

also, with the DSL connection, that extra 200k is possibly overhead or latencies that show it as 2.8Mbit. it can also be the server you're connecting to. i'd say this is pretty normal, i dont expect my full bandwidth but if you're really worried about it then complain alot to verizon :)

I don't think that Win 2000 has the built in "remote assistance" such as that of XP. You'd want to set up VPN connect, in which case you would probably have to do the first part of that on their end. I do everyone's computer too, but they gotta bring to me if they want it fixed, period. You might have to put your foot down, on that issue.

Your Verizon bandwidth comes with a "YMMV", not guaranteed. I'm pretty far out from the local Verizon CO, so the 2.8mb I get is actually surprising.

Back