• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tualatin Chips w/ ST6 Temps Compared to XET/XET-C

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bonka

Throughly reading the various threads concerning the ST6 and XET/XET-C boards with Tualatin processors, the temp readings for the chip on both these boards seem to vary quite widely. Almost exclusively, the gigabyte board with the Tualatin reports MUCH lower cpu temp readings than the ABit with the Tualatin. So far, I remember reading a few gigabyte users who've verified their mbm/bios readings with a temp probe and apparently the temps are collaborating. Has anyone used a temp probe on a ST6 for verificiation? Seems quite strange how 2 identical make and model chip runs cooler on one board than the other.

Right now, I don't know what to doubt. Either, the ABit is reading the temps wrong or the gigabyte is. I had veered somewhat to the gigabyte side of the inaccurate temp readings since the bios doesn't even read the Tualatin cpu temps correctly. However, I assume their temp probe tests will identify the REAL temps correctly. Now, I feel the ABit board may be flaky at reading the cpu temps, or am I completely misleading myself?

I'd like to see some replies about this.

I'd like to verify for myself if my ST6 is reading my cpu temps correctly but my board is being rmaed so even when I do get it back, I've got to find someone who'll lend me a prober.

It was my understanding that the ST6 gets it's CPU temps from the on chip diode, so I don't know that a temp probe would be any more accurate. With my ST6-R the temps are all identical in the bios, using MBM and Sandra so I'd say my temps should be correct. getting 32-33 idle and 35-37 load using Glaciator II and good case ventilation. Have no idea how the Giga board reads it's temps.

Why not we just go and grap some cheap temperature sensors from Radio Shack or some where else and measure the temperature on these two board? I think it will be more accurate.

Back