• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Drive options?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdf_warrior

I currently have two 36gb raptors in a raid 0 stripe on my desktop. I wanna upgrade to something with some more space, because it seems like after a Vista install and such, that I install a few apps and half the drive(s) is gone already. I know I could make a custom installer with Vlite, but its been kinda quirky wanting to slipstream SP1 into the installer, which leaves me with doing a regular install then upgrading to SP1 which I dont feel like doing either.

Back to the point. I don't use my desktop a whole lot lately, but when I do I'm working on CS4, browsing, or converting my dvd's to mkvs to store on my htpc. I haven't gone the route of no raid with a 7200rpm drive in so long, I don't remember how much of a speed difference there was.. I know there will be some differences in speed, but will it be extreme? I just dont know if I wanna fork out the cash for a Velociraptor right now because I'm about to try to build a big file server for home. I don't wanna go back to a raid config because I get tired of messing with raid drivers and such. Are the newer 7200rpm drives any faster than some of the old ones? Any suggestions for an OS drive? Preferably..200gb or bigger?

I CAN. That's an option. What I'm asking is, are the new drives any faster though? Will I see a really noticeable difference in having the two raptors in raid in comparison to a new, single, 7200 rpm drive? Are there any 7200rpm drives that are particularly faster than others that would be best?

Back