• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Double Router Port Forwarding, help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Gwiggles

Hi everyone,
My router set up is a bit odd and I need some help forwarding ports to my computer. It's set up like this:

Internet > Modem > Router1> PowerLineNetworkingPlug > Other PLNP > Router2 > My computer

I've read the guide for double router forwarding on Portforward.com, but I couldn't figure it out. Router1's IP is 192.168.1.1 and it runs to Router2 and its IP is 190.168.1.1
I'm assuming I need to get Router2 to have a 192.168.1.xx IP and I don't know how to this. Does someone know of another more comprehensive guide?

Thanks in advance

can I ask why you're using 2 routers? If its for the switch inside the router why noy turn dhcp off and just use the switch?

I'm using 2 routers because my house is very long and is pretty much all made of glass >.< 1 router is on 1 side of the house the other is in my room. I'm just using it for the switch, i think (no one is using it's wireless). Can you tell me how to turn the DHCP off? I'm not entirely sure what that means too. Sorry :p

easy, disable dhcp function in router 2, simply turn it into a switch

how to do:
power off first router, login to second router (192.168.1.1 via browser) and disable function dhcp, should be somewhere in the settings (cant be more specific as dif routers have dif menus)
power all off then all back (make sure router 2 is connected via a secondary port, you know on the back it should have 4 ports on one side and a separate port usually intended for modem, well connect via one of the 4 leave 5th alone)

D

easy, disable dhcp function in router 2, simply turn it into a switch

how to do:
power off first router, login to second router (192.168.1.1 via browser) and disable function dhcp, should be somewhere in the settings (cant be more specific as dif routers have dif menus)
power all off then all back (make sure router 2 is connected via a secondary port, you know on the back it should have 4 ports on one side and a separate port usually intended for modem, well connect via one of the 4 leave 5th alone)

D

Well his second router is set to 190.168.1.1 so that is probably what he will have to set it to.

Set static IP on second router to 192.168.1.2 then you can keep everything on the same mask range and it makes networking easier.

Running the second router as a WAP is still feasible, a wireless device will connect to it and all IP traffic will be passed to 1st router for IPP assignment.

Some routers are trickier, and instead of disabling DHCP, there is an actually switch (software switch) to change from router to "ethernet bridge" Which basically means a managed switch.

Back