• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Volt modding an Abit TH7II -- any thoughts??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

skrill

Registered
I am setting up an Intel system for the first time since I started O/C'ing. I got a nice Northwood chip and an Abit TH7II-Raid board and 2x 256 MB of Samsung RDRAM (I got an amazing deal from a guy in desparate need of money to redo his hardwood floors).

OK, now the questions.

I have examined the board carefully and located the HIP6301CB chip (for Vcore mod) and HIP6521CB chip for Vmem mod. These are exactly the same voltage regulator chips as on my KR7A -- so the mods should be exactly the same.

1. Currently the TH7II limits Northwoods to 1.625 Vcore (lame -- Willy chips can go up to 2.1 Vcore). I plan to use my pomona grabber mods to up that Vcore -- I don't see that there will be any problem assuming adequate cooling (in this case watercooling). Do you guys forsee any trouble??

2. I know that RDRAM can kind of suck in that it may limit an overclock. Nevertheless, I was thinking of doing Vmem mod -- will Rambus RAM respond to upping the voltage in the same way DDR does -- i.e., it is able to attain higher O/C? I have never heard of anyone overvolting Rambus and I here it can run hot at stock speed. Am I asking for trouble???

Thanks for any input.

skrill said:
I am setting up an Intel system for the first time since I started O/C'ing. I got a nice Northwood chip and an Abit TH7II-Raid board and 2x 256 MB of Samsung RDRAM (I got an amazing deal from a guy in desparate need of money to redo his hardwood floors).

OK, now the questions.

I have examined the board carefully and located the HIP6301CB chip (for Vcore mod) and HIP6521CB chip for Vmem mod. These are exactly the same voltage regulator chips as on my KR7A -- so the mods should be exactly the same.

I have seen some mods like this done before with succes but if you can i think vidpinning is much better and no risk of screwing up your MB.

1. Currently the TH7II limits Northwoods to 1.625 Vcore (lame -- Willy chips can go up to 2.1 Vcore). I plan to use my pomona grabber mods to up that Vcore -- I don't see that there will be any problem assuming adequate cooling (in this case watercooling). Do you guys forsee any trouble??

If it was a coppermine i would say man your really gambling at 2.1 with a northwood i would say your crazy. I would only run what she needs to get higher and nothing more or you will turn your northwood into a keychain. [toast]

2. I know that RDRAM can kind of suck in that it may limit an overclock. Nevertheless, I was thinking of doing Vmem mod -- will Rambus RAM respond to upping the voltage in the same way DDR does -- i.e., it is able to attain higher O/C? I have never heard of anyone overvolting Rambus and I here it can run hot at stock speed. Am I asking for trouble???

You very well could be asking for trouble, if its hot at stock VIO settings then yes its trouble in a big way if you find a way of keeping it cool then a small bump may help but remember VIO is unforgivivng if you go to high you could fry quite a few different things. With VIO i would only reccomend a small increase on any MB. I know quite a few people with VIO adjustments on there MB and to be honest the gains once they max out there CPU are small if any so be cautious.

Thanks for any input.

Thanks for the reply.

I actually will not be modding the Vio (which I agree is dangerous). The Vio is contolled by another Voltage IC. I will only be modding the Vmem (or Vrambus -- as its called in HW monitor). At stock it should run 2.5 V. I am getting about 2.45.

For DDR boards upping Vmem can make a huge difference in the ability to run high FSB's. It can burn out mem chips -- but I have never done it.

I figure upping to 2.6 or so will increase O/C headroom and will still be within tolerance.

BTW, I completed the Vcore mode -- Ican get up to 2.0 Vcore now with my Northwood. But right now i am running at 1.62 Vcore until I get my Watercooling system installed.

Later.

Back