• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Major task ahead.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kingslayer

Buddy calls me up last night. Tells me the good news. He works for a major glass repair company here locally. He scored a 4'x8' piece of Lexan. 1/8" thick.

Holy clear cases batman!!!!

I figure there is enough there to do 3 total cases. I already have the plans for them.

1 will be a normal mid-ATX sized case. 1 will be a normal mid ATX-sized case, only it will split open in the middle like a clam shell to open. Much like the new Dell cases.

The 3rd will be the beast. it will be a full ATX, but for a kick I'm going to put a 1/2" thick piece of marble for the bottom. The rest will be lexan. Marble is easy to get here in Florida, it's popular use is for window sills for some funny reason. This one will be built last. The experience and mistakes made on the first two should make this one spectacular case.

Hopefully the only metal parts will be the motherboard knock out for the PS2 (and etc.) ports and the holder for the cards. Everything else will be lexan. I'm even thinking about making the PSU on the full sized, marble bottomed case, clear also. However this may bring up grounding problems. We shall see.

And pictures will comes as the results do. I'm so excited about this I'm ready to wet myself. We plan on making about a dozen of these for next years local computer show and see if they sell.

Do you have acsess to the equipment to bend and join the plexi, or are you going to cut it into separate pieces and then assemble it? As far as I know, NO ONE has taken the time to make/ re-make a case from plexi or lexan. It's be kinda cool if you could just remanufacture the individual panels, chassis, HDD cage, etc... but in plexi, no glue. Just a thought.

Is it just me or does 1/8" seem a little thin for a lexan case? that stuff is strong, but 1/8" is pretty damn flimsy.

Back