• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GF 2 GTS extreme overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wild_andy_c

NAKED Overclockers Unite! Senior
I've got a waste of space Creative GF2GTS graphics card that just won't overclock - or at least I did have. I was reading this article over at XBit labs (http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/geforce2-overclocking.html) and decided that since I couldn't overclock my core past 212MHz (default 200MHz) and memory past 350MHz (default 333MHz) there waere some drastic measures that needed to be taken.

All you need to do is shunt to ground resistor R811 with 180 Ohms to raise GPU voltage from 2.05 to 2.55v, and shunt R816 with 650Ohms to raise memory from 2.5 to 3.1v.

Simple - except I didn't have the resistors and had to do it with surface mounts in series !!

As I did mine with SMT's and wire my attempt was a little messier, but just as efective with me achieving 250MHz core and 410MHz memory !!! I've since got 5257 with default settings for 3Dmark 2001.

This is how neat xbits attempt was with proper resistors (much neater than mine above - but only as effective)
v7700-modified-small.jpg

Remember that this can be done on any reference design card.

Following is an image of the whole thing.

nice

sweet oc on that card. I found this article just a little while ago thanks to slim lim. Basically remove some caps to disable some high frequency filters and thus get a sharper image.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.html?i=1577&p=5

It's a simple, dirty mod to improve nvidia cards' image quality. I want to try it out, but I don't have a soldering iron to reattach the caps if I need to, and I don't have a spare video card lying around either if something goes wrong. Still, I'm feeling bold enough to go at it.

Thought someone like you... with the knowledge, the tools, and the skill to do something like this would be interested. Should be pretty simple.

wild_andy_c said:
That's a nice O/C on that Tualatin. Anything you can do to get it that bit further ?

Tear the IHS off that puppy (wouldn't budge with a razor blade under the edge despite others having little to no problems with that method)... or LN :p

Back