• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sale at Circuit City starting Sat.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Very unlikely, Usually liquidators raise all the prices to msrp then take 10% off. I am willing to bet that the price will be 269.99 tomorrow.

This. I've read that same tad of info somewhere else that at the start of the liquidation sale everything goes up to full retail, then they start dropping percentages off of that. What that normally means is until you reach at least 40-50% off, you're still gonna be able to find it cheaper online.

Wow. dunno where you guys shop. Around here we have stuff closing down, like KAyBee toys etc, and prices are DIRT cheap.

(toys that were 15 dollars now 1.99 dollars, in fact my sister shops there a ot, they GAVE her extra pieces from dispaly models for stuff she bought....)

EDIT: Walmart does carry computer stuff. Its just 5+ years old and priced higher then current gen stuff (at least every walmart I have been in NJ, PA and WV)

EDIT EDIT: Okay, I get it different companies differnet prices ;)

Last edited:
EDIT: Walmart does carry computer stuff. Its just 5+ years old and priced higher then current gen stuff (at least every walmart I have been in NJ, PA and WV)

ditto that one... and I work at office depot, and we sell very limited computer parts... like an nvidia 5500 for $80 that says NEW on it and PCI, and a radeon 7000 for the same price that says AGP!!! lmfao... when they hired me for their tech department, I asked if they would let me redo their inventory and pricing for components to something more recent. like within the past 2 years recent... I was shut down, lmao.

Like I said, the basics, like keyboard, mice, hard drive, etc. I have yet to see a walmart that sells memory, motherboards, etc.

I went in and got a 42" Panasonic 42PX80U Plasma for $600. It wasn't a steal of a deal since Dell had it for the same price on Thursday.

I just got it all set up and it's working great. I actually have the same TV in my living room and I need another since my 51" Magnavox projection went out.

Wow. dunno where you guys shop. Around here we have stuff closing down, like KAyBee toys etc, and prices are DIRT cheap.

(toys that were 15 dollars now 1.99 dollars, in fact my sister shops there a ot, they GAVE her extra pieces from dispaly models for stuff she bought....)

The prices are controlled by what ever group is heading out the liquidation. I'm heading to the CC near me tomorrow probably, and I'll report my findings. My GFs brother got the whole guitar hero setup for ps3 new for 42.

It'll probably be 3-4 weeks before things start being a deal again now that the liquidators are taking over. Even then its iffy, when CUSA liquidated I went in there near the end and they were still selling stuff for more than you could get it online in a lot of cases, anything they really had marked down was already snatched up.

This is what I'm expecting as well. When Linen-n-Things did their Canadian bankruptcy sale, the liquidators made all the prices MSRP minus 10% for the first couple weeks. It took them around 6-8 weeks to start getting down to 40-60% off, and then they took it down to 70-90% on the last 2 days before the stores closed permanently. However, as mentioned by Vipersfate, it depends on the liquidator.

I'm bitter sweet about this. Honestly in my area I live in a pretty big area and other than CC we have the dreaded Best Buy. At one time we had CompUSA, BB and CC. Now we are down to BB and no other choice, so I'm sure any deals in my area are gone.

Same here but I often drive 60-100mi. to frys or microcenter or go to them when I am visiting my parents.

I knew they would fail ever since I read in the newspaper an article about them firing there employees with the most sales saying that it made it unfair for the other employees.

Yeah, firing your best salespeople in a retail SALES environment and disincentiving the rest by taking away commissions, what a jackass move.

I remember when CC was just awesome- back in the 80's and early 90's. Then they started to suck. They deserve to go out of business; I am surprised they lasted this long. An absolutely horribly run company. The whole executive team should be blacklisted from the business world. And yes, I could have done a better job. :)

Oh, and I won't get to participate in any sales because I live several hundred miles from the nearest CC now.

Just got back from a trip to CC and was disappointed...as usual. 5-10% off CC prices are nothing to brag about.

Very unlikely, Usually liquidators raise all the prices to msrp then take 10% off. I am willing to bet that the price will be 269.99 tomorrow.

That's exactly what they did I was looking for good lcd tv and even with 10% off it was overpriced. So long Circuity City, see you in hell.

I went to, two different stores, and the prices were not at all good. I have been shopping 19-22" LCD monitors and was hoping to get a deal. The monitors I'm shopping are $130-200 online.

The cheapest of the lot was nearly $200 at CC. A disgruntled salesman kind of dropped the hint that prices did go up, and not down.

When I was shopping the Samsung 650 series HDTV, I found it at CC, but they just wouldn't deal on it. So I was going to buy it on Amazon, but decided to try Best Buy. They matched the Amazon price, and got my business.

Thats what killed CC. Their prices were not competitive, and they never lowered them to get a sale. They also were just flat out scamming people with the whole 120hz HDMI cable thing. Telling people they needed to buy a $100+ Monster HDMI cable, when a $3 cable does the same thing. That was company wide, not just a few stores, and it really turned people off, obviously.

My experience: My wife and I got there around 6pm Saturday and the store was pretty well picked through. Went looking for a TV, but all that was left were floor models. No matter how desperate I get, I could not bring myself to buy a floor model.

The only "deal" they had at the time was 10% off PC's, excluding accessories, printers, etc. (none of that was on sale at all).

FWIW, the place was a mess. Cables were laying in the aisles. I saw a receiver hanging half on/off a shelf upside down. Generally the place was a shambles. Oh, sorry, DVD's were 20%, we grabbed a few of those on our way out, but that's all we bought.

All in all, there weren't any deals you couldn't have had on any given day at Newegg or even Amazon. Sure, you could wait for things to cool down and the prices to come down too. By then, I would guess, nothing of any value would be left. I'm surprised a few of you found printers that cheap, that was the 2nd thing I went to look for: all of them were full price.

It was 10% off everything and 20% off DVDs here in hawaii. The prices sucked even with 10% off, but for some reason people were ransacking the place.

I guess they didnt know that 10% off an already overpriced product takes you back to about even with the rest of the retail market. I didnt buy anything.

I can tell already that there won't be any bargains in the Circuit City stores near Detroit, and it will probably hold true for most of the chain. Here's my theory why:

1. CC has been in a financial bind for quite a while now. They already closed hundreds of stores and have had several rounds of layoffs. Obviously they didn't have much money. Combined with the global credit crunch, that means they had very little inventory. The first thing a retailer does when they get into financial trouble is to cut back on inventory. Furthermore, we're still in the post holiday period, a time when retailers run low on inventory for natural reasons. And that means there's not much in each CC store to clear out.

2. With the current consumer sentiment, everyone is jumping at "bargains", even if what they're buying really isn't a "bargain". The CC's near me were absolutely overrun with customers this weekend. That's in stark contrast to every other retailer which has seen their sales decline sharply.

3. The routine with these liquidations is 10-20% off for a week or two, then it goes a little higher (like 20-30%) for a week or two, then a little higher, etc.

By the time the discounts at CC get to be a legitimate bargain, there simply won't be anything worth buying left. Not even floor models.

I'm surprise CC lasted this long. A couple times I did comparison shopping at BB and CC, and Best Buy literally had 10 times more customers on the floor at the same time as Circuit City. You can't pay for lights, heat/AC, and other expenses at 10% the competition's income.

I needed to use up some old CC gift cards so I spent a good hour looking around the store hoping for find a really good deal. Ended up picking up a Xbox 360 Elite since 10% off retail was a lukewarm deal for something like that. Figured something like that wouldn't last to the 15-20% time in two weeks either.

My local store was offering 10% off of the existing prices. I go in there quite often, so I am fairly sure that they didn't jack up the prices before offering 10% off, but those store prices weren't stellar to begin with, and 10% isn't anything to write home about. I ended up buying a few PC games that I had been meaning to get for a while. I'll wait till its near the end to check it out again.

My local store was offering 10% off of the existing prices. I go in there quite often, so I am fairly sure that they didn't jack up the prices before offering 10% off
I guess anything is possible but considering the rules are that of the liquidation company that now owns them it's highly unlikely to be an aberration. The only example I can come up with that I know for sure is proof that they do indeed revert to MSRP and provide discount off of it are the JVC Marshmallows. I have never seen them selling for above $19.99 at CC, matter of fact I just bought a pair the week before CC went belly up for that exact price. I went in there last saturday and they are now listed at full MSRP of $24.99 and that price is marked down 10%.

Well keep in mind from what I read there are FOUR companies handling this liquidation (probably split up by geographical area that they serve) and its quite possible the four companies have different policies/methods for handling their liquidation.

Back