• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I need to block TORRENTS! Port ranges?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

technoViking

Hi guys, yes oddly enough I am trying to BLOCK TORRENTS.

My roommate who is a friend of mine but just doesn't realize he is screwing all of us with his torrent downloading. I told him, THROTTLE YOUR DOWNLOADS. He's like well I need to keep a high upload ratio or they will kick me from their site. I'm like thats great but I got work to do and your keeping me from doing my work.

We literally can't stay on the internet longer than 10 mins before our router blows up and we all lose internet. The internet is fine when we block him with a password but then he *******.

So I want to block all the ports torrents might be shared downloaded. Do you guys know which ones I should block? OR how to stop torrent downloading so he stops screwing our network? I can totally block his whole mac address but he could easily tell that.

So I want to block all the ports he could be using for torrent uploading/downloading. Uploading is what is kiilling the network I beleive, downlaoding just bogs the network down but uploading totally breaks the network becuase he won't throttle his uploads.

Thanks,

PS: I have a D-LInk Dir-628

To my knowledge, torrent programs can use nearly any port--Comcast tried to block Bittorrent and failed (too many ways to sidestep the blocks). Do you guys do anything other than web and email? You could block nearly every port but 80 and the various email and https ports.

Smoothwall + aggressive QOS?

I can go full out (5000+ connections, 15 downloads, full upload/download bandwidth) and my games only get approx 100ms more ping.

This way you both win.

Smoothwall 3.0 + QoS will be able to throttle it down. It will also eliminate the need for a router that constantly crashes because of high load. This may not be something you want to do, however, you might check in the router for some QoS settings that may be able to help.

I use Smoothwall myself, but to keep torrents running as fast as possible and not slow down web browsing. I would get high pings, in the 800ms range, without. Properly configured, pings drop to 60-80ms, keeping web browsing nice and fast, and the torrents running as best as they can.

Sorry I'm a noob, whats QoS exactly? THanks for the help by the way!

Currently I have the following set on my router:
Enable SPI
Nat End (UDP/TCP) Point filtering enabled (Port and address restricted)

Undr QOS engine I Have:
Eanble traffic shapping
Automatic Uplink Speed
Measured Uplink Speed: 10273 kbps
Manual Uplink Speed: 128 kbps << Selected Transmission Rate <--this is grayed out
Connection Type: Auto detect
QOS ENGINE SETUP:
Enable QoS Engine checked
Automatic classification checked
Dynamic fragmentation: Checked

But under the QOS ENgine rules, there arn't any set.

Ah thanks,

So I found an option under the d-link firmware that says Appliation Rules....
And it has an option name called BitTorrent, I clicked it and it filled in the following:
Port trigger:6969
Firewall: 6881-6889

So does this mean its going to BLOCK these ports or actually open these ports?

It seems strange the firmware would have built in functinoality to OPEN ports for torrent downloading but it could be.
Application Rules

This option is used to open single or multiple ports on your router when the router senses data sent to the Internet on a "trigger" port or port range. Special Applications rules apply to all computers on your internal network.

Last edited:
Ah thanks,

So I found an option under the d-link firmware that says Appliation Rules....
And it has an option name called BitTorrent, I clicked it and it filled in the following:
Port trigger:6969
Firewall: 6881-6889

So does this mean its going to BLOCK these ports or actually open these ports?

It seems strange the firmware would have built in functinoality to OPEN ports for torrent downloading but it could be.
Application Rules

This option is used to open single or multiple ports on your router when the router senses data sent to the Internet on a "trigger" port or port range. Special Applications rules apply to all computers on your internal network.

I'm not familiar with that router but if it's under the QoS settings I would think it would let you set it to a lower priority. If there's a Web or internet setting, setting that to high will guarantee it's above bittorrent traffic.

By the way, he may not be using 6881-6889, he could be using any number of ports, EG utorrent randomizes ports.

Try disable UPNP port mapping so the computer cannot tell the router to open a port.

I don't think you'll be able to do QoS (at least not effectively) with your router. All that router gives is a selection of local and remote ports and IP adresses, and a manually entered priority for that IP/port set. Good QoS would allow you to simply select traffic type "P2P" and priority "low", or something similar.

hi, just want to ad my 2p worth:
i dont know anything about smoothwall, but if you could prioritise traffic for important stuff you do then thats a good thing!
as something simple, you could disable uPnP on the router, this will prevent his torrent program for opening a port inbound to his machine and will prevent him downloading. if he cant create inbound connections, and utorrent uses the same port outbound then he wont be able to upload either. at least not very well.

if he is using excuses like "i need to keep a high upload so i can download from them".. rubbish,. he deserves a slap. any free bit torrent will let you change your settings. he can even set a schedule so it only runs when everyone is asleep.

whoa. for once we are discussing torrents:p yay!
yes, can't you just set an upload limit like MARCI said? i'm sure he won't get kicked from the site then...or if he's using Azuerus or something. there is a plugin that can change the speeds of download/upload at certain times. for me, i set the upload full speed overnight while i cap it at 50kb/s or so during the day. when ppl are using the internet.

He can set the upload limit on this program the thing is HE WONT set the upload limit. He's being such a girl about this, he's like well I need to upload more than I download because my ratio is low.

All he has to do is like you said, simply throttle the upload to like 30kb/sec but he won't even do that, it will let it get up to like almost 1 meg/sec and thats when our network will go down.

So unless I can do it remotely through the router, then I'm not sure how to stop him.

If he continues to use 100% of the available upstream bandwidth, tell him that he must pay at least 50% of the full price of the bill, since he is using a full half of the connection. If he is then also using 25% or 50% of the downstream side, his part of the bill will be jacked up to 62.5% or 75%.

Back