• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

nVidia Card Issues

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Aynjell

I'm unable to take screenshots, but I can take xfire video of it... but here is my best way to describe the bug I'm experiencing:

There are several things that for whatever reason jump around or don't display right on my computer. Both the 9800GTX+ (which I RMA'd) and now the GTX260 core 216 that I own now do this. During the opening scene of GRAW, when you're parachuting down, if you look around you can find several patches, square in shape that flicker. This wouldn't bother me if it was just this one game but it occurs in many different games. If you guys know what might be going bad I can try fixing it or replacing it.

Here is a link to the video... pay attention to the windows, for example. They flicker, also there's a few boxes of just ground that do this as well.

http://www.xfire.com/video/66941/

You may have to fullscreen it to see what I'm talking about. I tried to make the video as small as I could so it'd be easier for you guys to check out.

I think this is a common bug with geforce 8, 9, and GTX200 series cards. Something nVidia is doing in the drivers is probably causing this.

Can someone with an ATI card see if they have the same problem?

I have seen it before too with my nVidia cards. To me it looks like textures overlapping textures, and the bottom layer occasionally flashes through.

Can someone with an ATI card see if they have the same problem?

I have seen it before too with my nVidia cards. To me it looks like textures overlapping textures, and the bottom layer occasionally flashes through.

That's exaclty what it is, actually.

I think the word is decals.

Maybe this is too make nvidia cards perform better than ATi by rendering less textures?

Just kidding, try underclocking just to test if its the card, changing drivers, reinstall game etc. I had this problem with a newer driver on my evga 8800gts sli setup.

Maybe this is too make nvidia cards perform better than ATi by rendering less textures?

Just kidding, try underclocking just to test if its the card, changing drivers, reinstall game etc. I had this problem with a newer driver on my evga 8800gts sli setup.

Seriously? lol

If my card does it, an 8800GT does it, and a 9800GTX+ does it, what makes you think it's an issue with the clock rates. I've already tried this. What I'm trying to do is find somebody who doesn't have this issue. It appears in every game, including crysis. It's an issue with either the card DESIGN, or the drivers.

Have you tried running at stock CPU/GPU settings?

Yes. If this issue is on more than one PC, another by somebody else I don't even know... than I doubt it's my individual configuration.

Games I've seen the issue in:

Bioshock
Crysis: Warhead
Mirror's Edge
Fallout 3
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

This is too wide a spread across the industry to be an issue with one designer or the same development bug, it's something to do with nVidia.

Yes. If this issue is on more than one PC, another by somebody else I don't even know... than I doubt it's my individual configuration.

Games I've seen the issue in:

Bioshock
Crysis: Warhead
Mirror's Edge
Fallout 3
Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter

This is too wide a spread across the industry to be an issue with one designer or the same development bug, it's something to do with nVidia.

Yes you tried stock settings, or yes you are assuming that because someone else had a similar issue your OC must be stable?

I get occasional spots of black when playing Bioshock w/DX10

other than that I don't have any of the symptoms you speak of. Could be a bad driver install? Have you tried uninstalling, and cleaning them out with Driver Sweeper?

My GTX285's are running everything beautifully.. I haven't tried Bioshock with them to see if I still get the black box issues. That was on my 9800GTX sli setup

I get occasional spots of black when playing Bioshock w/DX10

other than that I don't have any of the symptoms you speak of. Could be a bad driver install? Have you tried uninstalling, and cleaning them out with Driver Sweeper?

My GTX285's are running everything beautifully.. I haven't tried Bioshock with them to see if I still get the black box issues. That was on my 9800GTX sli setup

Then what settings have you tried. I can reproduce this issue on every single Geforce 9 and GTX series part I've been near. It's a driver setting that would probably need changing to resolve.

If you guys want I can install the games all of them and show you the issues in each. Trust me, you CAN reproduce these issues. Or at least I could with your cards. I have a trained eye and I'm very anal. My friend with a 24" fPVA panel didn't see this stuff until I pointed it out.

Are you using the drivers to force AA or AF in the game? I've had issues with some games in the past if I've tried to force settings using the drivers, rather than using the game's own gfx setting options.

Are you using the drivers to force AA or AF in the game? I've had issues with some games in the past if I've tried to force settings using the drivers, rather than using the game's own gfx setting options.

I thought it might have been that, but I removed all my settings and reverted them to stock, still the issue persists.

I thought it might have been that, but I removed all my settings and reverted them to stock, still the issue persists.

Hmm....Have you tried disabling AA and AF optimizations in the driver control panel? Is vertical sync on or off?....it might be worth turning it on just to rule out texture tearing too. :shrug:

Hmm....Have you tried disabling AA and AF optimizations in the driver control panel? Is vertical sync on or off?....it might be worth turning it on just to rule out texture tearing too. :shrug:

I have all the settings to default in the nvidia control panel. Nothing I can change resolves the issue.

Seriously? lol

If my card does it, an 8800GT does it, and a 9800GTX+ does it, what makes you think it's an issue with the clock rates. I've already tried this. What I'm trying to do is find somebody who doesn't have this issue. It appears in every game, including crysis. It's an issue with either the card DESIGN, or the drivers.

I have an 8800GT SLI setup and have never experienced this issue, are you using the latest WHQL drivers? the 181.20 drivers?

I have crysis, crysis: warhead, ghost reckon advanced warfighter, havent had this problem:santa:

I generally just leave the driver settings stock.. Except with the 185.20 leaked set, I played with the Ambient Occlusion settings on that one :D

anyways, i do get some screen tearing in a lot of games, because I can barely stand to play with vsync on in most FPSs, slows my mouse down and causes a bit of lag in COD4, my main FPS at the moment.

I have an 8800GT SLI setup and have never experienced this issue, are you using the latest WHQL drivers? the 181.20 drivers?

I have crysis, crysis: warhead, ghost reckon advanced warfighter, havent had this problem:santa:

Strange. Oh well, perhaps it's a bit more isolated. Take a video of the starting sequence of graw then.

Back