• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows 7 Sleep/Reboot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdf_warrior

Not really having any problems from Windows 7 so far with the exception of one little thing. I just wanted to see if I was going crazy or if anyone else was experiencing this as well.

I dont leave my computer on 24/7, when I'm not here I usually put it Sleep. Also had it set to auto go to sleep if I havent touched it for 2 hours. Well I've noticed every time I put it to sleep, when I come back, its on again. So I tested a few things so see what was going on. If I put it to sleep, within a few minutes, the machine automatically boots back up.. wtf? After I discovered this, I decided I would actually shut my machine down to go to work the other day, clicked Shut Down and walked away.. came back home, and it was on.. wtf again? Tested it, and when I click Shut Down, it doesn't shut down, it reboots..

Has anyone else seen this? Or am I just some random, freak occurance?

None of my rigs have exhibited this behavior under WIN7, sleep has worked properly. Maybe check to ensure S3 power management mode is enabled in the BIOS.

Start> Control Panel> Device Manager> Network Adaptor> Power Management...make sure the adaptor is NOT set to wake up the computer.

Not really having any problems from Windows 7 so far with the exception of one little thing. I just wanted to see if I was going crazy or if anyone else was experiencing this as well.

I dont leave my computer on 24/7, when I'm not here I usually put it Sleep. Also had it set to auto go to sleep if I havent touched it for 2 hours. Well I've noticed every time I put it to sleep, when I come back, its on again. So I tested a few things so see what was going on. If I put it to sleep, within a few minutes, the machine automatically boots back up.. wtf? After I discovered this, I decided I would actually shut my machine down to go to work the other day, clicked Shut Down and walked away.. came back home, and it was on.. wtf again? Tested it, and when I click Shut Down, it doesn't shut down, it reboots..

Has anyone else seen this? Or am I just some random, freak occurance?

I figured out the problem.

Go to Control Panel (If you're in Category View) - Hardware and Sound - Power Options - Change when the computer sleeps (Small print on the left).

(IF you're in Icons View, which I find easier) Just go to Power Options - Change when the computer sleeps (Small print on the left). Then chage it to what ever you want it at.

I have my pc set to not go to sleep, looked around several places and Win7 seems to have a bug where computers that go to sleep will reboot or shut off. Mine would turn off the video and sit with a black screen then when I would try to wake it up it would reboot. And when I mean turn off video I mean drivers, because I run an ATI 4870 at 50% fan speed and when it reset the drivers the fan would go back to the noram l5% or whatever it is then when I tried to wake it'd reboto and go back to 50%.

Back