• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dead Space spinning uncontrollably

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

I just dl for steam and installed. as soon as the initial cutscene completes the camera just goes into an uncontrollable spin. I've check ed the 'official forum' which suggests unplugging other controllers (none) and then other usb devices (the only other one of which is my keyboard). Not real helpful. I've different resolutions, full screen and not, inverted axises and sat though that interminable cut scene about 15 times.
Any one have any suggestions? I play numerous other recent releases and have never has this problem.

Oh, and mouse is a Logitech G80.

I just dl for steam and installed. as soon as the initial cutscene completes the camera just goes into an uncontrollable spin. I've check ed the 'official forum' which suggests unplugging other controllers (none) and then other usb devices (the only other one of which is my keyboard). Not real helpful. I've different resolutions, full screen and not, inverted axises and sat though that interminable cut scene about 15 times.
Any one have any suggestions? I play numerous other recent releases and have never has this problem.

Oh, and mouse is a Logitech G80.

turn off smooth mouse etc and set the mouse speed to the absolute minimum. that'll fix the spinning.

I see no option for 'smooth mouse' and turning the sensitivity down did nothing. turned v sync off and on. Any more suggestions?

After a 1/2 hour I still trying to get into EA's support site. Waiting on a password set up several years ago.....Several people have reported this problem but noone has shown me a definite fix...same ol' same ol' you'd think if a developr had a forum for issues they'd have someone monitor those forums and post TRUE fixes for people's issues.

Spent all afternoon futzing around and concluded by writing STEAM asking for a refund or credit. EA's site provides zilch for trouble shooting and I've found a number of posts from people having this same issue. Apparently large businesses don't need phone numbers anymore and the ritual they force you to go through to file a complaint or technical issue is forever. And God forbid, don't by accident input the wrong birthday because the stupid site cookie won't let you back in ever....unless you go through the rigmarole of finding and removing the cookie.:bang head

Unfortunately, no fix works for all, and I tried every one I found. I edited the config files, manipulated resolutions, blah blah, and never got the stupid game to a save point so I have to sit through the entire cut scene to even see if the fix worked. I remember when games had a hot key to jump them but it was lost on this build.:screwy:

If anyone finds a fix I'll take it and try. Meanwhile I'm hoping that since I'm a customer in good standing STEAM will at least let me credit the game and get something that works.:(

Bye the bye, this is the first STEAM game that hasn't performed for me.

I was gonna say its a controller....but if you have already tried that.

Have you unplugged EVERYTHING USB to see if it stops?

I only have two usb items: a mouse and a keyboard. I can't see the advantage or even the capability to play only with a mouse?

I did try my rumble pad and it didn't work either. Although I just realized I have a LED front panel that is usb connected and supports an RF remote (iMon), but I can't see that having an effect. I also went into System devices and disabled all gamepads and joysticks. I'm playing FarCry2 and L4Dead both off STEAM so its not the system.

Thanks for trying. NO response yet from STEAM.

I was gonna say its a controller....but if you have already tried that.

Have you unplugged EVERYTHING USB to see if it stops?

I guess its an idea, but if it just resumes upon insertion, what's the point. I will try it but not for a while. I'm too p***ed to fool (and that's exactly how I feel) with it right now.

OK. Update and resolution. I unplugged the keyboard, and started the game, let it run through the cutscene and sure enough, no spinning. Plugged back in the keyboard while the game was still running and sure enough, no spinning. I was able to play through to the first save point. ( It will do auto saves at certain points but doesn't allow you write a 'hard' save until a certain point. I learned this while trying to get to the save point in spin mode.:bang head) Anyway, shut down and restarted the game and lo and behold, no spinning!:clap:

So I've got a few minutes under my belt. I do wish they would include a .pdf manual at least with online games, it really bites to have to tunnel through a half dozen menus to 'remember' how to switch to stasis mode if you forget. A quick reference chart for controls would be very nice when you're learning. And speaking of controls, it becomes very obvious it's a console port. I've already found that 'caps lock' will keep Issac in aim mode, something buried in the menus god knows where. Other than the Third person view it appears playable and enjoyable. I want to wait till late at night and venture in. and yes it does remind me of System Shock 2. I'm just hoping it comes close to that game in quality and play.

Back