• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win2K or WinXP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dug

I can't decide because I have not tried Xp of a extended period of time. I mainly use the system for Movies (DVD, DivX, SVCD) and odd first person shooter game.

I can't stand Wind98 because it can't multi tast or manage memory.

what do you suggest?

XP should do you well. Revamped Media Player!.....yeah!

Though I haven't seen much else that convinces me that WinXP is a viable upgrade from Win2000.

Either way.....dual boot

I would go with Windows 2000. I love it. :)

I'm very biased too.

Hopefully Linux will be a nice alternate.

I've been running Win2K for quite a while- love it: Stable, fast, easy to tweak and likes being overclocked (as long as your system is stable)

I just got a WinXP pc from work: changed to the windows classic interface right away, locations and methods of changing parameters are not quite as intuitive or easy, and it seems to be a LOT slower than Win2K. Its a laptop so I'd expect some loss in speed but wow! It is a lot slower than my 900mhz Athlon was at default with 2000.

Gotta go with Win2K all the way!

I mainly use the system for Movies (DVD, DivX, SVCD) and odd first person shooter game.

You just described what XP was designed for...so there's your answer...

Revamped Media Player!.....yeah!

cw823, media player IS revamped...for the worse! Can anyone say resource hog? use the oldy but goody mplayer2.exe from Program Files>Windows Media Player as your default...MUCH better!

Just keeping score thats 4 to 2 infavour of winxp. However, I am leaning towards win2k, I don't like bloated software. Keep on posting suggestions I am going to install the OS in 12hours or when my transfers stop.

I agree about the slowness, even w/ 512 megs of ram, but man is my system solid!!! :D I would NEVER go back to 98. Couldn't tell you about 2000, but if I ever decide to change again (for some unknown reason), I'd go with 2k.

I was in your position before and I went with XP, figuring if I didn't like it I'd just change over to 2000. I just figured I'd never know if I didn't give it a try. It turns out I really like XP and it's been a month now and NO (knock on wood) crashes!! None. No BSOD's or anything. Since my beast is performing so consistantly well, I can't see changing operating systems.

A PC that boots in 30 seconds and has no crashes. Ya' gotta' love that action!

...just another 2 cents :)

[edit] Oh, yeah, my beast: P4 1.5ghz w/512 megs of Kingston pc2100 ram [edit]

I'd say go with XP tho I have never used W2K. So far my rig is very stable. I love the lay out and how much faster it is. Before this I was using 98S.E. and man this thing blows that right out of the water. Seems like everything runs so much faster, but that just my $0.02.

I VOTE XP

I have used 2000 pro for a year. Very stable no crashes. But everything is a plugin for this OS. I just upgraded to XP about a month ago. I am now using XP pro which is a true 64 bit processing engine. I saw an immediate speed increase in tribes on line and also video clips off internet. The extras that come with it such as Media, etc are nice too. This is a very stable OS. Just make sure you have updated drivers for all your hardware before you start to upgrade. Also......, DO NOT JUST UPGRADE, do a new format and fresh install. I also like the NTSF format as it gives u more megabytes and is faster.

I use W2K at work and XP at home. I should have gone with W2K at home! XP has been nothing but trouble for me from the install (on a clean install, it took me 3 tries). XP is not nearly as stable as W2K.

Win2K is better between the two in my opinion.

WinXP is Win2K with some graphics. Win2K is stable as a rock but Win XP is a good change as the 3d GUI is something nice to look at and go for Win XP if you have 384ram+..

It runs pretty good when tweaked I'm also looking forward for the service packs.

before installing XP check is all of your hardware is supported... XP is relatively new and as we know still has some bugs which will be corrected with a service pack...

my vote goes to w2k...
although consider Linux Mandrake 8.1 as alternative... I love it... ;)

Back