• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

vistall cd key

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jdf_warrior

I think I know the answer to this but I figured I would ask just to make sure.

I currently have a Vista install disk with key that does not include Service Pack 1. As mentioned in another thread, not having Service Pack 1 creates an issue where I get stop errors (BSODs) when attempting to install with more than 3gb of ram in my machine.

I was thinking about using vLite to create a custom installer and slipstreaming SP1 into vLite but at that point, you cant customize your installer.

So my question is.. if I download a Vista Business x64 w/ SP1 disc ISO from newsgroups or torrent or something, seeing as how its a different installer (by including SP1), will it accept my cd key?

Downloading any copy of windows software or any software even if you have the key is against Microsofts EULA, therfore not it is not allowed to be discussed here.

Why dont you install with less than 3G, then add the rest when the install is, installed.

Just a pain in the butt to have to do. Would just be nice if I could just stick the disc in and install without having to power off, open the case, remove ram, install, go download an update, install, shut down again, reinstall ram, close case back up, then continue

btw: my bad, didnt know it was still not supposed to be discussed.. I know your not supposed to promote pirating software and such, but since I do actually own a legal cd key, it seems like somewhat of a grey area. I wasnt sure how that was looked upon..

Last edited:
Also, if it downloading it IS frowned upon, what is Microsoft policy about getting a newer disc? Sure I know the answer to this as well.. They wouldnt offer any kind of upgraded disc would they? I would more than likely have to pay for a new disc and license right?

I know I can do that, but you cant customize the installer for a vLite disc with SP1 slipstreamed in. I mentioned that in the original post.

Why not make a sp1 slipstreamed OS disk and tjust tweak it after it is installed? No need to use Vlite unless yo uare trying to install to a 10GB HDD or something.

I beleive that business also has the full disk backup option that Ultimate has. So after you get the OS setup perfectly, do a full disk backup. If you need to reinstall at a later date you can use the backup :)

See I never had the issue with 4GB or more of RAM running the install.

I'm extremely curious as to why certain people have the issue and others do not. When I had 8GB of DDR2 800 I installed Vista Business x64 fine, then installed SP1 via Windows Update with still no BSoD.

as said, make a SP1 integrated disk, burn and create your disk

also, why can you customize your vlite install when integrating the SP?

worse case, make the new SP1 disk,m burn it, make the image THEN go back and edit that disk you made.

the problem is with most downloads is they have modified files in them to get past activation.

you could also contact MS directly and order a disk but it may cost you $10

redduc900: Does that bios update fix this issue or something? I dont remember off the top of my head which bios revision is currently installed.

sobe: Some people havent had the issue, but there are plenty of others who have. Specifically mentioned in Microsoft KB Article 929777.

I'm on support chat with Microsoft right now seeing if I can get a new disc that includes SP1. I know I prob cant, Microsoft isnt going to give anything away for free, but its worth a try. Jalari, the guy I'm talking to told me, yes you can get this dvd, you can buy it. Told him I didn't think I should have to buy a disc to fix an problem that was Microsoft's screw up in the first place and that if purchasing it was my only option, I would throw the disc away and install Ubuntu because it doesnt give me this problem. He got all jumpy then and said oh I cant give it to you, but let me see if I can find out who you need to talk to

After being on chat with Microsoft for over an hour, it has ended in 2 options:

1. Buying the new Vista DVD installer.
2. Contacting the Refund Department with a case number and they will refund the money spent on the original installer, and allow me to buy the newer install disc.

Have to say I'm surprised..

Downloading any copy of windows software or any software even if you have the key is against Microsofts EULA, therfore not it is not allowed to be discussed here.

Why dont you install with less than 3G, then add the rest when the install is, installed.

sounds easy enought and simple enough for me.

its easier to just pop the new ram in then wait for a 10gb illegal download (probally crawling with who knows what nasty things) and then burn the damn thing.

Just to test it, I installed the latest P33 bios update and that did not fix the issue. Nor does selecting the "4gb fix" or whatever its called in vLite when attempting to create a custom installer.

I still had to remove ram to do the install. Granted I know its not a difficult task, its just stupid that I should have to do it in the first place. You would think that would have been something Microsoft would have tested before allowing Vista 64bit out the door since that is the primary reason for having a 64bit OS. But then again, this is Microsoft we're talking about

See I never had the issue with 4GB or more of RAM running the install.

I'm extremely curious as to why certain people have the issue and others do not. When I had 8GB of DDR2 800 I installed Vista Business x64 fine, then installed SP1 via Windows Update with still no BSoD.

Same. 8GB RAM and installed from a RTM disc with no real problems. There's an odd freeze when booting from the DVD (5-10 minutes of absolutely nothing happening before it loads the partitioning screen, then another 2-3 minutes after), but it installs just fine.

Back