• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Biostar TPower I45 and Q6600 overclock settings

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Smurfboy

Registered
Hi, not been on here for a while but the last time you guys were stars in helping to overclock my Q6600 to 3.5ghz.

Anyway got hold of a Biostar TPower I45 mobo. Been trying to overclock it but the highest i can get is 2.6ghz!!!

When the overclock goes wrong, postcode E1 shows on the board and the only way to get it posting again is to clear the cmos via the jumper.

So has anyone got one of these and any settings that i need to change to get it to post.

Also cpu-z says the fsb:dram is set at 2.3 ratio, what do i need to change in the bios to get a 1:1 ratio as i think thats where the post is failing.

Smurf

its most likely not the ratio. what setting have you tried to change so far. be easier to take it from there.

Hi i have been personal massaging a guy and he has told me how to get a 1:1 ratio, so that is set, but at this time i have not tried any o/c.

Not sure what settings i have tried really, will start writing them down lol.

Right got it running at 3.0ghz with a multiplier of 9x and a fsb of 336mhz.

So thats a start, have tried for 3.2ghz, but fails to load into windows, but posts ok, more juice i think.

The BIOS set the DRAM frequency correctly, being a 2:3 (266/800) ratio at an FSB of 266 MHz, assuming you have PC2-6400 for an effective 800 MHz at default clock. With a 1:1 divider (333/667) at an FSB of 266 MHz, your RAM is running under spec. at a frequency of only 532 MHz. Your previous FSB of 290 MHz for an effective clock of 2.6 GHz, and while using the same 2:3 divider, put your RAM at a frequency of 870 MHz. I can only assume that SPD timings for your RAM are 4-4-4-12 (without knowing which RAM you have, the default Vdimm, or how much), and at a DRAM frequency of 870 MHz either the timings and / or Vdimm applied was incorrect.

hi i have Geil Black dragon pc6400 800mhz 2x2gig sticks with 5-5-5-15 timings.

Last edited:
Hi, i will be able to post more results and settings friday guys, computer has gone for a test drive round me old mans, as it is his pc i built.

Will get back to you then peeps. or earlier if he has problems lol.

Tx for the help so far.

Smurf

Hi again guys, right.

Have managed to get it into windows at 3.4ghz. Trouble is when i run Prime95 after about 20 seconds, it BSOD.

So its not stable obviously. Here are some settings its at, at the moment. Maybe someone can tell me what i can change to get it Prime stable.

CPU frequency setting = 378 x 9.0
FSB(Bsel) to northbridge latch = FSB 1333
Dram Frequency = DDR2 756mhz
DDR Enhanced mode = Auto
Dram timings = 5-5-5-18
CPU Voltage = 1.520 v
NB/SB voltage = 1.192 v
DDR2 Voltage = 2.032 v
FSB Voltage = 1.280 v
DDR voltage = AUTO
Chipset voltage = AUTO
MCH GTL Ref Voltage = AUTO
CPU PLL Voltage = 1.5 v

I dont want to up the cpu voltage anymore as 1.5v is as far as i would push a Q6600 on air really. There must be another i can change to stabelise it.

Smurf

so that would mean adding to the chipset voltage i think as there isnt an actual setting which says NB voltage, am i right??

Tried upping th chipset voltage by 0.100v but no change still blue screens in prime95.

Also tried ajdusting the mch gtl voltage from auto to 0.61*VTT, also blue screens in prime95 grrrrr.

Which OS are you running, and what's the exact error in the BSOD?

Edit: Post all of the latest Prime stable BIOS settings, using this template for the I45 (disregard the settings in the template, and replace w/ your own)...

Code:
[BIOS SETUP] O.N.E
Over-Clocking Navigator [Manual OverClock]
Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) : Disabled
Ratio CMOS Setting : ×6 (change higher for benching subzero obviously)
CPU Frequency Setting : 570(boot)
Over Clock Retry Count : 2
FSB Compensation: Enabled
FSB(Bsel) To NorthBridge Latch : 1333
DRAM Frequency : DDR2-1140
DDR2 Enhance Mode : Disabled

DRAM Timing Configuration
DDR2 RCOMP Configuration : 2
Static tREAD Value : AUTO
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD : Enabled 
[EDIT] this will give you CAS5 clocks and PL10 past 600MHz FSB
for PL9 past 600MHz FSB you need to manually set CAS4 timings

Clock Gen Configuration
PCIE Frequency Setting : 100
CPU Clock Skew Control : 200ps
(G)MCH Clock Skew Control : 100ps
CPU Clock Driving Control : Auto

Voltage Configuration
CPU Voltage : SET WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR STABILITY AT MHZ YOU ARE BENCHING ON
DDR Voltage : +0.600v (use more depending on RAM)
Chipset Voltage : +0.600v
FSB Voltage : +0.40v
CPU Core1 GTL Ref Voltage : 0.63*VTT
CPU Core2 GTL Ref Voltage : 0.67*VTT
MCH GTL Ref Voltage : Auto
CPU PLL Voltage : 1.5v

Last edited:
In post #4 you mentioned not being able to get into Windows at 3.2GHz, then in post #9 you said you could boot into Windows at 3.4GHz, but Prime would fail at that clock. Did you ever get the system Prime stable at 3.2GHz, and if you did then fill out the template I posted above w/ all of the settings you used for that clock?

[BIOS SETUP] O.N.E
Over-Clocking Navigator [Manual OverClock]
Intel(R) SpeedStep(tm) : Disabled
Ratio CMOS Setting : x9.0
CPU Frequency Setting : 378(boot)
Over Clock Retry Count : 3
FSB Compensation: Disabled
FSB(Bsel) To NorthBridge Latch : 1333
DRAM Frequency : DDR2-756mhz
DDR2 Enhance Mode : Auto

DRAM Timing Configuration
DDR2 RCOMP Configuration : Auto
Static tREAD Value : AUTO
Configure DRAM Timing by SPD : Disabled
[EDIT] this will give you CAS5 clocks and PL10 past 600MHz FSB
for PL9 past 600MHz FSB you need to manually set CAS4 timings

Clock Gen Configuration
PCIE Frequency Setting : 100
CPU Clock Skew Control : Auto
(G)MCH Clock Skew Control : Auto
CPU Clock Driving Control : Auto

Voltage Configuration
CPU Voltage : SET WHAT IS REQUIRED FOR STABILITY AT MHZ YOU ARE BENCHING ON
DDR Voltage : +0.250 v
Chipset Voltage : Auto
FSB Voltage : +0.0.100 v
CPU Core1 GTL Ref Voltage : 0.63*VTT
CPU Core2 GTL Ref Voltage : 0.67*VTT
MCH GTL Ref Voltage : Auto
CPU PLL Voltage : 1.5v

Ok have changed your bios settings to mirror mine as they are set to with me booting at 3.4 but bsod in prime95.

Hope this helps

I never did the prime95 test at 3.2ghz.

Also is there a version of prime95 thats 64bit compatible, maybe thats the problem, i'm running version 25.5

Have tried the 64bit version and it stlll BSOD but not as quick lol. I have also adjusted the skews for the timing s to see if that helps but to no avail.

Skews are set as follows:

pci e freqyuuency setting 100
cpu clock skew control 300fps
(g)mch clock skew control 200ps
cpu clock driving control Auto

I need to see the last Prime stable settings (for example at 3.2GHz), not the non-stable settings as they exist now at 3.4GHz.

Back