• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

$32 shipped Epson Stylus CX8400 all in one - Refurb

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hey cool SSS, mine came the same way. It's a little on the slow side for PPM, but after a quick head alignment, it's right on point with nice quality.

I also find the scanner to be a bit on the slow side but the image quality is nice there as well.

I was a bit surprised that the image quality of this $32 printer spanked my Epson 785EPX photo printer. I even put in new cartidges in the 785EPX and the new printer does a nice job.

Oh yeah, spent an hour today researching all the options for inks including the Epson always full chips and fill on the fly. Once I get them I'll update this thread on whats the best for the cheapest. I ordered a few items including this combo pack with the auto resetting chip. Going to compare it to the Durabrite Epson ink that came with it.

T0691~4%20COMBO%20Epson%20refillable.jpg

Dang it, its such a good deal that I just now bought one too. I have used HP printers since I began computers but the lasst 2 have just been dogs. No print, it gets confused, paper jams, etc....

Welp, no more, this will be my first Epson. And if it goes right my last HP

My last printer was an Epson also.And itr was nice for 4+ years..lol And i wish i had seen this deal before i had bought my Canon MP190 which i ended up opening and installing and its really nice.Its fast and very quite.But I would of rather had that Epson

Dang it, its such a good deal that I just now bought one too. I have used HP printers since I began computers but the lasst 2 have just been dogs. No print, it gets confused, paper jams, etc....

Welp, no more, this will be my first Epson. And if it goes right my last HP

My 1st printer was an HP, it was also my last HP printer, nothing wrong with HP, I just didn't like them trying to force feed me HP uber expensive ink cartridges.
Hey, for $32 bucks shipped for a new Epson all in one isn't a half bad deal.

It will be an even better deal once I figure out where to buy Durabrite ink for the always full ink cartridges or that auto reset cartridges I ordered yesterday. I'll post back here the results and what's best once all the chips and cartridges show up. The plan is to find who makes the Durabrite ink for Epson, then see if I can buy the ink direct, it probably has many names other than Durabrite.

My poor Epson chip resetter from my last Epson photo printer won't be needed any more due to the auto reset cartridges or with the always full chips for the new Epson. :(

Attachments

• Epson 005.jpg
    Epson 005.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 381
Were do you get them SSS(chip resetter)?Will i need one with my Canon if i use refilled ink.Sorry i dont mean to be asking about a differnt item other than the posted model.

Were do you get them SSS(chip resetter)?Will i need one with my Canon if i use refilled ink.Sorry i dont mean to be asking about a differnt item other than the posted model.

What model is your Cannon. Cannon has a utility like the SSC Epson reset downloadable utility. But tell me the Canon model number and I'll look up your options. I recall that the chip reset tool came out for Canon in early 2008. The one I have cost $5

For Canon it's a bit more but they will pay for themselves. Here's a few on Google for Canon

What model is your Cannon. Cannon has a utility like the SSC Epson reset downloadable utility. But tell me the Canon model number and I'll look up your options. I recall that the chip reset tool came out for Canon in early 2008. The one I have cost $5

For Canon it's a bit more but they will pay for themselves. Here's a few on Google for Canon

Mines the Pixma MP 190.Thanks SS / Nope dont need one.Its done like this

Canon MP190 Resetting
Reset Waste Ink full canon
1) Enter SERVICE MODE. By pressing Menu Copy Scan Copy Copy
2) Select TEST MODE.
3) Select [8] PRINTER TEST in TEST MODE.
4) Select 3. [EEPROM CLEAR].
5) Select 0. [INK COUNT].
6) Press the [Set] key.
7) Press the [Stop/Reset] key (returning to the state of
3)), and then press the [ON/OFF] key

What the hell is a chip re-setter?
It allows you to use refilled ink cartiages or no name brand ink

Last edited:
It allows you to use refilled ink cartiages or no name brand ink

Before I pulled the trigger on the Epson, I was looking hard at the Canon models. Reason I ultimately went the Epson route was I was happy with my old Epson and just wanted a newer model, for thirty two clams shipped, Epson won over the Canon. (Also the fact that I could buy OEM Epson black and color Epson cartridges at Supermedia for less than $5 a cartridge shipped worked for me for years.

The cartridges I ordered yesterday allows you to refill on the fly without removing the cartridge, then it auto resets the chip to full. If they work as advertised, it will be better and far easier than just changing the always full chips or using the Chip reseter tool and refilling the ink tanks out of the printer.

Then again, the on the fly refill cartridges may be garbage, time will tell.

(Also the fact that I could buy OEM Epson black and color Epson cartridges at Supermedia for less than $5 a cartridge shipped worked for me for years.

The cartridges I ordered yesterday allows you to refill on the fly without removing the cartridge, then it auto resets the chip to full. If they work as advertised, it will be better and far easier than just changing the always full chips or using the Chip reseter tool and refilling the ink tanks out of the printer.

Holy Mother of Epson~! I'm there! Dang man, $5? Pffft I am chucking this HP box in the dump!

Ty OP, I have a brother I got for 25 shipped and it self cleans itself every day or so if left on, and the sheet feed wont let the upc's I tape to the pages for rebates go thru the rollers, this flatbed scanner will eliminate that problem, and the ink refillables look sweet!

I'm actually going to part ways with my CX6000 because of a good price I got on the Pixma MX300. I'm looking at possibly doing the refill thing too, but I need to do more homework first. Thanks for the ideas Sam, you inspired me to look around and I ended up stumbling on a new printer (and in the long run will save money because I will be using a refill system).

I'm actually going to part ways with my CX6000 because of a good price I got on the Pixma MX300. I'm looking at possibly doing the refill thing too, but I need to do more homework first. Thanks for the ideas Sam, you inspired me to look around and I ended up stumbling on a new printer (and in the long run will save money because I will be using a refill system).

Kevin, Here's a Youtube video on how to change the Pixma chips to have ARC's(Auto reset chips) :santa2: Just shop around for ARC's or auto reset cartridges to get the best deal like with anything else. I believe that some Pixma printers need the 2nd generation ARCs. Here's some extra info I found on Ebay that may be helpful for your Canon.

Attachments

• Pixma.jpg
    Pixma.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 186
Before I pulled the trigger on the Epson, I was looking hard at the Canon models. Reason I ultimately went the Epson route was I was happy with my old Epson and just wanted a newer model, for thirty two clams shipped, Epson won over the Canon. (Also the fact that I could buy OEM Epson black and color Epson cartridges at Supermedia for less than $5 a cartridge shipped worked for me for years.

Keep us posted. If it works well enough, I might get one of these things myself!

Not happy with my purchase. I get a vertical black ink streak (about 3.5")along edge of paper when I print text. Additionally, this "all-in one" does not come with fax, just print scan copy. When I print draft, the streak goes away, but it is very faint to read. Has anyone encounter this problem?

Not happy with my purchase. I get a vertical black ink streak (about 3.5")along edge of paper when I print text. Additionally, this "all-in one" does not come with fax, just print scan copy. When I print draft, the streak goes away, but it is very faint to read. Has anyone encounter this problem?

For a $32 printer, it has plenty of features imo, the fax capability is not a big deal and I'm sure is probably offered on the models that cost a little more. As for the streak, I haven't had that problem, but I'm sure that if you RMA it they'll take care of it for you.

Mine prints perfectly, this may sound crazy but did you shake the cartridges before you installed them? I read the instructions and laughed when it said shake the ink cartridges before you installed them. :shrug:

Mine prints perfectly, this may sound crazy but did you shake the cartridges before you installed them? I read the instructions and laughed when it said shake the ink cartridges before you installed them. :shrug:

The above solve my streak problem. Geez, I didn't know you had the shake the ink cartridges. Now my print jobs are perfect, Thanks Silversinksam. :beer:

Hey Sam, thanks for starting me off. After looking i8nto it a bit, I didn't find any ARC chips for the MX300 but the oem refurb cartridges are cheap enough I'm okay with that. The refills void the warranty since you have to completely disable ink monitoring, and I'd rather have the warranty than save a few bucks on ink (which I don't plan on going through that much of).

FWIW, the Pixma MX300 is a really nice printer for under $100. I still need to run a fax line, but the biggest bonus is the fax and copy features built in (don't require the PC from what I can tell). It's a true MFP.

Back