• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

conmputer hangs at bios screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mrgreenjeans

Any suggestions. When i booted this morning it ran chkdsk which kinda surprised me. I was browsing the internet, and mouse suddenly became inactive, then BSOd with page file error. When I try to reboot the post screen hangs at the bios showing memory check and stop. The hard drive light shows activity, but nothing happens. I had noticed yesterday that in explorer the icons for My computer were scrambled. Now it hangs at post.

What do you think: hard drive failure? bios battery? This is a P4C800e, not rig in sig, I had just uped from 2 512mb memory sticks to 2 1g and had just reinstalled windows and all that around three weeks ago. I've never had the bios post screen lock up. Could it be memory? need some help, this is my server rig with all my back up and data files stored onboard (separate drives) but need access. I'm wondering since the bios locked up if it could be problem with the new memory.
Help

Could be faulty memory. Try putting your old ram back in and see what happens. Also resetting your CMOS battery could help too, but doubt that is the culprit.

I would also say that you should try to blow out some of the dust in the box. I had a problem once when i put new mem in my comptuer and the dust caused a short. It sucked but new mem worked for me.

Another thing is that you could just use another computer and put the HDD in as slaves to gain access to the information. That could work in the short term.

I would also say that you should try to blow out some of the dust in the box. I had a problem once when i put new mem in my computer and the dust caused a short. It sucked but new mem worked for me.

Another thing is that you could just use another computer and put the HDD in as slaves to gain access to the information. That could work in the short term.

Thanks but got the data covered. I cleaned it out pretty good when I installed the memory but a 4 year old box is always full of dust. Crossing my fingers and pressing on. I also noticed windows took the liberty of installing an update overnight and wonder if that could've affected the boot. the grayed out icons in explorer does have me concerned though.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm going to try and get my work (online school work) done before I mess with it anymore.

Back