• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCing a Q9650 in a P45 board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

I've always run dual's as for gaming I was a fan of clocks > cores. But with the recent price drop on quads, looking at the Q9650, I figure why not have both? I'm currently running an Asus P5Q-E. Will that be a good pairing for ocing that Q9650? Or are quads better on a X48 board? The boards been great on my E8500, just want to make sure it'll be just as great of a pairing with a Q9650. Thanks.

p45 is the best board you can have to clock a 45nm quad. i have the same board and im sure you will love the q9650. google mBIOS for the p5q-e.. 3rd party modded bios that just own the stock asus ones.

45nm quads and P45 boards are a good combination...X38/X48 can be used as well with much success but I'd recommend you get a good P45, Asus P5Q, Gigabyte EP-UD3P etc

Last edited:
Yeah, I already have a P5Q-E with my E8500 in it with good results, just wanted to make sure before dropping $330 on a new CPU my board would be a good companion for it, and that I wouldn't have to get a new board.

the 45 boards seem to have a higher FSB wasnt it ? the x48 had a wall and most x38 just cant handle quads very well.

Back