• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HDMI card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Red_LightRanger

Im about to order a new gpu, but I can not decide between ati 4870 and gtx200 series. I want to setup my comp to my new lcd tv via HDMI port, but im not sure if it would work for the 200 series.

The 4870 comes with dvi to hdmi, so i assume it will be compatible, but my question is ...is there really an hd card, or can u basically use an dvi to hdmi and your good.
ITs for this reason im leaning more towards the ati card, plus is a little cheaper than a 280

DVI and HDMI are the same signal.

Just different connectors.

And HDMI has the capability to carry audio as well.

ok im at a dilemma here....maybe i should have named this thread
"4870 1gig or gtx260 /216"
Ive decided to rule out the 280 because its just too expensive for me. But for the life of me i can not decide which of these two cards to get. I was so set on getting a 260 until ATI released the 1 gig 4870. Then the week i was going to order the 4870 i see the 260 version come out with 216 core.

I can not even find a good review that can make its mind up on these cards either. Most of the benches taken, the 260/216 pulls ahead but only slightly. On the other hand its around 40 dollars more expensive. I know im in the nvidia forum, but what are your thoughts?

I'll mostly use this card on a 1680x1050 res, but once in a while i'd like to hook it up to my samsung 46" 1080p.

between the two cards, it's close. i chose my ati cards because i;d have to buy an nvidia mobo to do sli.

the ati cards that come with the hdmi adapter also can carry sound via the dvi (with that adapter) which is a major plus point, whereas previous nvidia cards needed an spdif cabled from the motherboard/sound card to the graphics card to make sound come out of the dvi socket, which is why i chose the ati card, again (less hassle).

that's just my two pence, the ati will offer the better cinema capabilities.

DVI and HDMI are the same signal.

Just different connectors.

And HDMI has the capability to carry audio as well.

Yes, but doesn't the video card need to support audio through? Otherwise, you still would have to connect your sound output separately.

Back