• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PC keeps shocking me!!!!!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gigabit

For the past few weeks sometimes i get a shock when i touch my mouse or my case.I cant find any bare wires or anything touching the case anywhere and im having no problems with my PC other than my 2 HD's dieing two weeks ago and my Hanns G HG281D dieing a few weeks ago. Any idea's?I doubt its static electricity since ive had the same rug since ive moved here and it just starting happening

Could be the weather, it has been really dry here.

Grab a DMM and see if there is any voltage.

Could be the weather, it has been really dry here.

Grab a DMM and see if there is any voltage.

if its dry, put a bowl of water out in your room, it will disperse into the air.

it gets really dry with forced air in my house :( to the point where my lips cracked and split and it became uncomfortable.

Static electricity is running rampant in my place. I cant even move without building a charge... Though its strange you get shocked from your mouse, since you shouldnt be touching any metal.

I do get shocked from my case.

Static electricity is running rampant in my place. I cant even move without building a charge... Though its strange you get shocked from your mouse, since you shouldnt be touching any metal.

I do get shocked from my case.
The wheel on the G9 is metal.And thats what shocks me.

EMPEROR3.jpg

It's me. I'm in your electron stream, shocking your fingers.

The mouse is grounded to the case, so it is the same as touching the case.

Dont think thats whats happening. SInce the G9 has metal, he is touching the metal with a static charge on himself, so its naturally discharging.

Dont think thats whats happening. SInce the G9 has metal, he is touching the metal with a static charge on himself, so its naturally discharging.

:confused: Well yes....but...

He is touching the mouse which is grounded to the case. Doesn't matter if it is a metal mouse or what ever....The mouse has a ground which goes to the motherboard....to the case..ect...back to the wall....

He is touching the mouse which is grounded to the case. Doesn't matter if it is a metal mouse or what ever....The mouse has a ground which goes to the motherboard....to the case..ect...back to the wall....
Exactly.

You dont discharge static by touching plastic.. You have to touch metal, and the fact the mouse is connected to the case has nothing to do with it.. If his mouse had no metal he wouldnt get shocked.

Edit: your also assuming its a regular electrical charge and not static.

Last edited:
You dont discharge static by touching plastic.. You have to touch metal, and the fact the mouse is connected to the case has nothing to do with it.. If his mouse had no metal he wouldnt get shocked.
The wheel on the G9 is metal.And thats what shocks me.

edit: your also assuming its a regular electrical charge and not static.
No, I'm not assuming. If it was either, he would still be getting shocked.

No, I'm not assuming. If it was either, he would still be getting shocked.

There is a difference in getting shocked by static and touching a live current.

Static will shock you as you technically dont even need to touch the metal to get the shock, you just have to be really close to it for it to discharge.

If there was actually current running to the mouse, it wouldnt feel like a shock and would be more of a tingle when touching it.

So since he describes this as being shocked when touching the mouse and case, it is most likely static. He could unplug the mouse and still get the shock when he touched the wheel.

A sudden shock, so bad that he decided to post about it, sure sounds like a high voltage, low amperage signature of static discharge.

If he said, "I get this burning tingling sensation when I touch any metal on the case". I would be worried about a short.

The chances are, the high energy object is gigabit wearing a new pair of wool socks. The low energy object is the computer. Once he discharges to the ground through his mouse, it's over.

I would try grounding myself before touching my computer and seeing if it's still a problem. My guess is, the electricity is being generated by gigabit.

Edit: Beat to the punch by CGR!

I dont know it start about two weeks ago..It never happened before that.It started right after installing the Corsair TX850.Not saying thats the cause but thats when everything started

Your new PSU may be a factor in increasing the chances of static discharge. Who knows? The fan design might encourage air to flow over parts generating more energy. However, this SHOULDN'T be an issue because the computer is grounded. But it's possible a change in the airflow could potentiate static charges that are somehow not getting grounded. It could be that your fancy new PSU is hotter and drying out the air in the room... I guess ANYTHING is possible though. I don't think it's very likely that the PSU is the problem.

It's FAR more likely that environmental factors are causing YOU to generate the excess energy. New socks, dry weather, shoes with rubber soles, clothing made of polyester... dozens of factors cause static charges.

Get an EM bracelet, or simply touch a metal object in the room that's grounded, and THEN touch your computer. If the shocks go away, you have your answer.

Increase the humidity in the room, as pointed out by others.

Bare feet don't generate much electricity. Socky feet, and rubber soled shoes will cause you to build up a charge.

Last edited:
i had this happen to me in college when my room didn't have "new" 3 prong plugs, just the old 2 prong ones. I was using a 3-to-2 prong adapter, but i was getting shocked since the 3rd prong wasn't properly grounded. To fix it i had to run an extension cord from the next room that had a "new" plug.

Are your gold standoffs installed ;)? You may have knocked loose your front panel grounding wire when you installed your new psu. However, I agree with thideras and Oakstave in that the most likely problem is probably a simple issue of static discharge.

No one else thinks its odd that 2 of his hdd and a screen died in a span of "a few weeks"? Something doesnt seem right here to me....

Back