• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

so, my 8800gts 640meg died, now what card?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ogerx

so, my 8800gts 640meg died..(went with a 4830..thanks.)

Grummble, I'm currently typing in 640x480 screen res in 4bit color with pink and aqua bars everywhere(which does look pretty sweet...)

S-mart me forgot to register my 30day lifetime warranty with EVGA..(yay.)

so, I'm kinda looking for a new card even though I'm totally broke and then some..(daym b33r)

Any Ideas?
(leaning towards a 4850 or a 9800gtx..) any other suggestions?

Last edited:
I have been very happy with my 4850. If you look around you can find some good deals on them.

You can get a Visiontek HD4850 (Lifetime warranty, no registration BS) for $135 at Circuit City if you can find one, since they're going out of business. The manufacturer still honors the warranty, just hold onto the stock cooler.

4830 for 80 after rebate on newegg imo

2 of those in sli for a little bit more exp than a 4850 but 1.8x the fps if you want to spend some more money

^
Thank you sir, I think I may actually just go with a 4830.
5-10fps != $50-60 extra to me anymore. The days of being ranked #32 or whatever in teh world on 3dmark are gone for me. Not worth it..(ok,I'm broke shaddap.(still about equal to the card I had))

I'll still try to o/c the p00pies out of it none the less.

Last edited:
ATi has been going strong for the past year IMO. 4800 series has been one of the best yet. 4830 or 4850 is my suggestion. if you'd like to stick on the nVidia side, maybe a 9800GTX+, or in you case a 9800GT :santa:

Thanks for the replies guys.
Finally got to order...
I almost changed my mind and went with the 9800.. then almost went with the 4850.. then said screw it again and went with the 4830 for $94 w/ $20 rebate.

Considering my last cards:
7800gtx: $450
8800gts: $330
+: the fact this was my own dumb fault I lost my lifetime warranty.. I figured I should "suffer" a lil' bit this time.

AND! It comes bundled with another copy of WoW to burn! hooraaayy.:beer:

(the other cards prolly would have exploded my 450w psu anyways..)

*edit* card should come tomorrow/today.. thoughts may follow...

*edit#2*
It came, I'm happy with it for my needs.
(seems I got a pretty good clocker for a change..)
might go higher, haven't run into any artifacts yet.

3dmark06 results so far:
Stock:10,834
750/2200:12,478

a tad bit low..but I haven't formatted this windows install for like 2 years..o well
around 60c loaded..

Last edited:
if you are willing to overclock a little I'd say yes, for the price. I play in 1680/1050.. but going by all the 1920x1200 reviews I just looked at it's only a few fps difference between the 4830 and the 4850/9800gtx.. and that's a stock 4830.. so, you decide.

any other suggestions?
I am shocked no one mentioned this. Have you blown out the drivers and got new ones? Unless you are artifacting or it is really unstable, the card should be good.

I am shocked no one mentioned this. Have you blown out the drivers and got new ones? Unless you are artifacting or it is really unstable, the card should be good.

I'm 95% sure the card was quite dead.. it wouldn't even recognize it as a video card anymore... couldn't even install drivers... I've seen video ram go a few times now

I'm 95% sure the card was quite dead.. it wouldn't even recognize it as a video card anymore... couldn't even install drivers... I've seen video ram go a few times now
Either try it in another computer (if possible) or do a complete reinstall. Worth a try, saves you a bit of money.

dead card

You should submit an RMA request anyway, and see if they'll replace it. Then just ebay it.

Back