• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Phenom II X3 Thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't really get why they even try for such high frequencies. Those speeds would never be 24/7 with voltages that high and not to mention 50 liters of liquid helium gets you 90 minutes of benching...

It doesn't matter if they are 24/7 or not, its a lot of fun.

I'm liking the new results of these Phenom IIs. Anyone know if they are a new stepping?

any of you guys have a good review that pits the new phenom II's against the intel quads and duals as well as the previous gen phenoms? i was on break and not reading the news when they phenoms came out... i know that they are competitive, but i am not sure how they stack up relative to the intel line.

thanks!

http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=3512&p=4

According to this they are not as close as you might think and in some cases not as good as a dual core . Being objective they are keeping up with some old tech but can not compete at all with Intel's new tech i7 .
This should put your mind at ease as they put all the " NEW " AMD CPU's to the test even the TRI cores !

And then you look at the Divx and 3DS tests which are more in tune with real world work and the tables turn.

you know trickson, I've been on this forum a long time. For some reason I had it in my mind that you were a respectable member of the old school OCing community and I was interested in reading your post. But now I've read the last few posts in the AMD section and now I see what you're truely like. How disappointing.

Anyway, to BlackEdition, the phenom X4 and the intel core2quads are just about equal, you're not going to notice any difference. different reviews have different results, depending on the the reviewers bias.

I am sorry that I may come off being some what fanboyish but I have to admit I am prod of my Quad core and how well I have been able to over clock it . some times we all get a tad bit proud and that does tend to influence some of the things we say . I do recall how much of an AMD fanboy I was back when I had the XP2200 .

I have an e4300 that was my very first OC chip. I got 3ghz and only recently pulled it back to 2.4 because I just don't need it running 24/7 at 3ghz. I have had 2 C2D mobo's and liked them both. My buddy has my old mobo running a G0 stepping Q6600 and I helped build my other friends 8400 SLI ( 780i ) GTX260 in SLI rig and its amazing.

However, I am not a fanboi. I look at what something is. If AMD wasn't pushing out the PII then C2D's would be priced how they are. If they were not scared of the PII then their pricing wouldn't have been more aggressive in the price cuts.

You are simply trolling. You have repeated yourself over and over about how PII's are old tech. Intel is still making Core 2 Quads better than the first. Guess what, that is old tech. Intel is moving to 'core sampling' which is only smart especially in this economy.

I am sorry if you cannot get past the love you have for your 4.0ghz OC which has put blinders on to the rest of the world who ISN'T adopting i7 or trading their AM2+ boards in for new C2D motherboards that are in oversupply.

But your words are nothing but bitterness and skepticism in the AMD threads. It is shameful behavior on one of the best OC forums on the internet.

wow guys just calm down. I think its pretty obvious Phenom II's are great cpu. They are meant to contend with the Q9xxx series. They might lose but thats not the point. The point is they're priced even more competitively that the price/performance comes out to be slightly better or equal to Q9xxx series. Would i switch from my E7300 to a Phenom II AM3? Probably not if it will require me using DDR3. If i had to purchase DDR3 I might as well go i7 or better yet wait for the i5 and see how they're priced. If i was going to go P2 720 then maybe I would consider it, but seeing how the Q8200 beats it in most benches while being 500 Mhz clocked less it makes it hard to decide. Also the fact the Q8200 is a drop in replacement for my E7300 meaning no new motherboard and no new ram to upgrade is also very appealing.

Verdict - If you have an intel system capable of supporting the Q9xxx or Q8xxx series then Phenom II might not be for you cost wise. If you have an AM2/AM2+ system then the Phenom II is definitely for you. If you are planning on a complete new build using DDR2 ram and i7 isn't an option then flip a coin and let chance decide if you go intel or amd. They're both priced with in the same price range, both will be good you won't be disappointed with either one.

+10 :thup: :clap: (last four posts)

Now Back to the X3.
Anyone have close ties with WindWithMe who does an outstanding job of pulling together some nice fresh hardware and taking up past the last notch. If not, I'll send a PM and see if he can get an X3.

Last edited:
If i had cash laying around id build an x3 as a secondary system for testing lol, spent $600 this month on my pc already though :(

wow guys just calm down. I think its pretty obvious Phenom II's are great cpu. They are meant to contend with the Q9xxx series. They might lose but thats not the point. The point is they're priced even more competitively that the price/performance comes out to be slightly better or equal to Q9xxx series. Would i switch from my E7300 to a Phenom II AM3? Probably not if it will require me using DDR3. If i had to purchase DDR3 I might as well go i7 or better yet wait for the i5 and see how they're priced. If i was going to go P2 720 then maybe I would consider it, but seeing how the Q8200 beats it in most benches while being 500 Mhz clocked less it makes it hard to decide. Also the fact the Q8200 is a drop in replacement for my E7300 meaning no new motherboard and no new ram to upgrade is also very appealing.

Verdict - If you have an intel system capable of supporting the Q9xxx or Q8xxx series then Phenom II might not be for you cost wise. If you have an AM2/AM2+ system then the Phenom II is definitely for you. If you are planning on a complete new build using DDR2 ram and i7 isn't an option then flip a coin and let chance decide if you go intel or amd. They're both priced with in the same price range, both will be good you won't be disappointed with either one.

Yeah what he said:) I think:screwy:

Also if you guys want to check out some serious fanboyism go to amd zone, or the north american subaru imprezza owner's website. That is some serious subaru fanboyism. The way they talk makes it sound as if their subaru's are in the same price range as a lambo. :p

+10 :thup: :clap: (last four posts)

Now Back to the X3.
Anyone have close ties with WindWithMe who does an outstanding job of pulling together some nice fresh hardware and taking up past the last notch. If not, I'll send a PM and see if he can get an X3.

I should have one by Friday :beer:

Just so I am not a fanboy I posted on that kick *** over clock and well I said it was SICK the best I have ever seen ! I say that with all fanboyisum aside the AMD CPU's are mad over clocker's no doubt about it . But when I am attacked I have to say that is all this was an AMD gang bang on me . I deleted all my posts so you AMD people should be happy now ( I hope ) .I think that is all I have to say . Good luck to you and thank you for making me feel like crap I hope you have a nice day .

I think we need a little philisophizin here we can never not offend 100% of everybody however remember that it may not be intentional and ask was the intent to make a point and draw relevance to the conversation? I am just as guilty as others and I do not regret it moreover I will try to prevent it in the future. We need to ask ourselves is it worth ruining a perfectly good thread over an argument? NO. those defenders and counter attackers are just as guilty as you accuse Trick of being. and to the peace makers ROCK ON!!!!!

Remember it takes two or more for a FLAME OUT.

I think we need a little philisophizin here we can never not offend 100% of everybody however remember that it may not be intentional and ask was the intent to make a point and draw relevance to the conversation? I am just as guilty as others and I do not regret it moreover I will try to prevent it in the future. We need to ask ourselves is it worth ruining a perfectly good thread over an argument? NO. those defenders and counter attackers are just as guilty as you accuse Trick of being. and to the peace makers ROCK ON!!!!!

Remember it takes two or more for a FLAME OUT.

Thank You , But I have already been made to feel like the BAD guy that my opinions do not matter as I am nothing more than a fanboy . But what most fail to see I am buy NOW a Phenom II X4 940 and I will be putting it to the test . I love the way the over clock and want to see just how high I can get one on water cooling ! But again I am a fanboy and nothing more . CPU and Mobo are on there way BTW !

Look we all get hot it happens just gotta let it go and move on ley those who try to keep it going do so they will get theirs. But just on an off note it was more like Gang RAPE not a gang bang LOL!!!!

Back