• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How long until paypal releases the hold after positive feedback?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not overnight from me, here's what I got in as a response: I checked your account and I do show here that there is transaction that is still on hold for the amount of $306.00 USD last February 6. It was delivered February 12. The funds will be available in your PayPal account 3 days after the delivery date. I do apologize for the inconvenience.
This is almost the same as me, I got the email fund were in my account tried to transfer to my bank and i could not because the selection for transfer said 0 funds.
It told me the date the money would be clear to tranfer

My funds were not available over night after I fullfied all of their conditions.
I wonder how much money Paypal is "holding" while getting paid interest.
I have one more item listed and after that I am not sure I will go the Ebay route again. I am not comfortable with shipping items to people without any recourse(money in the bank) should they try to screw me.

Not to mention what would the implications of a 1cent refund be on Paypal's buyer/seller protection?

Seems to me (just thinking here) that paypal will use your
money during the hold time to make more money for them just like the 3rd party bi-weekly mortgage company tried with me.

Paypal has always done that, this is just piling on more of it. The way it's always been 3 days to electronically transfer funds to your bank? puh-lease, that stuff is all instant and should always show up within 24 hours max to allow for posting time, my bank posts transactions at midnight. Notice how they WITHDRAW funds instantly? ;) I understand it for free accounts but on fee-based Premeir accounts it's bs.

As for alternatives to eBay, I'm finding that forums that encourage feedback are a lot simpler. I only sell NIB stuff on eBay.

I've never had a real problem with this. Probably sold ten things since this new policy, each being held. As long as you ship through PayPal (who like waiting in line at the post office anyway) the funds are released 3 days after delivery regardless of feedback.

I don't do shipping through Paypal...they probably get a little cut of that too? It's not like other website-generated shipping methods are a hassle.

Nevermind it looks the same for USPS on a few items I tried.

Last edited:
Wow this new policy stinks. Apparently it doesn't apply to non ebay transactions since I've sold on forums since then and not had any holds. I hardly ever use ebay anyways but my mom has some collectibles she will want to ebay at some point and this will be a pain for that probably, at least until we made a few sales, we both have perfect feedback and lots of it, but neither of us sells on ebay regularly.

what do you mean? if you issue a refund doesnt that mean you refund all of it? or do i just sent 1 cent to the buyers paypal email?

thanks man! one person on ebay didn't leave me a positive feedback so i decided just to try this out and it worked!

Just refund 1 cent belonging to that transaction and paypal will free up the funds. It works because it seems to the system that buyer and seller have come to a satisfactory agreement to the transaction, hence the 1 cent like a partial refund so everybody walks away happy.

There was a lot of fuzz when people did that around chrismass because the buyer was hoping to get Microsoft's cashback program and that 1 cent nulled the whole transaction, but the program is over so you can do it if you need to.

Sorry i didn't explain this earlier since i didn't follow the thread, glad i could help :beer:. I have been a long time paypal user and have over 300 transactions with confirmed users, because i'm into hobbys and trading stuffs, the new policy is not fair to the seller since he can't use the funds and he is out of ebay fees, paypal fees and postage fees and have to wait 2 weeks or whatever time for the funds to clear.

I only take MO nowdays :)

One espeically dumb thing about this is you can't use the payment to pay for shipping. However I believe it only applies to eBay transactions? Or maybe it's only on premier accounts, I have had no hold on recent personal account transactions.

While it's really annoying I can think of reasons why they might do it other than grubbing the money. Who hasn't seen the 'scammed paying through Paypal and can't get money back' threads from a buyer? If Paypal doesn't refund money that's withdrawn despite various safeguards, or they have to eat it if it is refunded and they can't recover it, it hurts either the buyer or Paypal. This way a buyer is less likely to get scammed. It still needs improvement though, for example being able to pay for shipping or eBay feeds with pending funds.

*Here's another reason: it makes sellers ship faster. While that might not be a problem here, eBay can't deny people an account for 'shipping slow' - their own handling time options go up to quite a few days. It does keep people from sitting on other people's cash as much.

Last edited:
Back