• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Briefcase Mod

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Phase_V

Registered
Well I just wanted to know what you thought of this mod I did with one of my friends a few weekends back. We went to Staples and bought a black briefcase for $20. We took it back to his place and ripped apart his old 350. Then we sized up the power supply fan and cut a hole for it to come out of. We also cut a hole for the plug, cat-5 cable, and 2 fans(intake and outtake) Then we screwed the motherboard right into the base of the briefcase and duct taped the hard drives and floppy drive in. The only problem we had was that the power cord from the power supply to the mobo wasn't long enough, so being the cheapskates we are we just crimped extra cable onto it. :D
For cutting the holes we used a jigsaw. We run remote administrator on it and use it as a dedicated server at LAN's. I'll have pictures soon (i hope)
Tell me what you think

That does sound nice, but I gotta tell ya...after a couple of heat/cool cycles, that duct tape is gonna lose it's grip. Wouldn't want your super portable to die that way.

How soon are the pics coming?

It's expensive, compared to junk quality duct tape. Yet Nashua 333 is mighty fine tape.

If you don't find a better way to anchor the HDD's, I'd consider Nashua 333 duct tape. Home Depot carried it two years ago. They probably still do.

Well, I've will be getting hold of a digital camera soon for pictures. So far the tape has held up well, although we are trying to find a different way of securing the drives. Don't think screws can go through the side there mounted on though. Any ideas would be appreciated. i'll try to get those pictures up soon.

Phase_V said:
Well, I've will be getting hold of a digital camera soon for pictures. So far the tape has held up well, although we are trying to find a different way of securing the drives. Don't think screws can go through the side there mounted on though. Any ideas would be appreciated. i'll try to get those pictures up soon.

well double sided sticky tape might work?

and id like to see pics also :)

Back