• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
mxthunder check out this pic I found of the entire line of xx80 receivers:

gregj-2.jpg

HA yea that pic gives me the chills! I have a similar one except its just the recievers no speakers. Someone is very lucky to have those, thats probably $5000+ value in receivers.
Yep I would also be happy with a 1080 or a 1280.
If I could be so greedy as to at least have an 880 so I would have a more symmetrical face layout from having 2 black gauges on each side and another 15W of power, although it doesnt really need it. It can blow any set of speakers I hook up to it at 1/3 volume, as a matter of fact, I have never had the volume nob much past that point.

My dad has a Sansui 9090db ill post up some pics of it as well.

There's some very nice looking setups in this thread. Here's my computer desk with DIY speakers:

Desk.jpg

A close up shot of the speaker, still need to replace the screws, only ones I had at the time. As you can see, my woodworking skills need improvement:

FinishedSpk.jpg

Here's my DIY computer sub, an 8" dayton driver, the old Creative is shown for comparison:

Comp-Sub.jpg

And my living room with DIY Infinity Kappa Perfect 12 subwoofer powered by a 750 watt pro amp. There's also an HTPC with a blu-ray drive.

IMG_1884.jpg

I eventually want to get around to building a matching set of surround sound speakers for the living room. My DIY computer speakers are the Madisound Recession Busters.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8525

They sound simply amazing, very smooth and detailed. An amazing deal at that price.

I eventually want to get around to building a matching set of surround sound speakers for the living room. My DIY computer speakers are the Madisound Recession Busters.

http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8525

They sound simply amazing, very smooth and detailed. An amazing deal at that price.
Woah, for $70, that's a steal.

I got my hands on some better fronts today, a pair of Sony SS-SRX7s. And I must say, they've pushed Sony one notch up in my book.

IMG_0349.jpg

They've actually got punch in the mids. You can really feel 100Hz if you push them. Only problem they have is a hissing noise in the bass reflex, but that's easily solved with some cotton in the tube.

The feel of them is also quite incredible, they're barely 40cm tall passive monitors, but yet they weigh almost 4kg each.

They're rated for 100W each and 87dB SPL, which I think is quite decent for speakers this small. The 100W even seems to be true, as they barely even distort when I drive them with my M-120A. Although, the filters eat most of the power.

DESKTOPSONY.jpg

They're currently driven by the crappy Pioneer, but I'm picking up a Luxman L-120A to match my M-120A for them this weekend. I'm getting it for 180€, which is a steal, as they usually go for 400+.

Last edited:
Yeah that HTPC is screaming out for some better bookshelves! I can hear it from here.

Welcome to the forums, btw.

Freezer, I have to admit your 'modular' desk is always funny to see. The nailed on part on the left, the 'monitor stand' on the right... and the bus names on the drawers! :D

IMG_00612.jpg

Over the last six or so months, my audio system has gotten a 99% overhaul. I completed it today. What's left is to build a new box for my sub, but that isn't in a hurry.

A couple of days ago, I got a call from a man saying he had an old Luxman receiver lying around doing nothing, that he was willing to sell. It proved to be an L-120A, the integrated amplifier sister of my M-120A. He asked 180€ for it, which is absolutely nothing, considering that they usually go for >500€ around here, if you're lucky enough to catch one.

I was ecstatic. The chance even of finding any Luxman on this island was already slim, as they were a quite exclusive brand, and finding one that matches my other one in every way was something I never even remotely expected to accomplish.

I went to take a look today, and it was even better than I expected. It was in great shape, with only a bit of dirt on the knobs. After inspecting it closer, I even managed to push the price to include two Tandberg 50W speakers.

The Tandbergs, which have that lovely 70's sound to them, are rigged to give me music in bed[1, 2], and the L-120A now lives on my desk, under my M-120, driving my fronts and acting as a pre-amp for my M-120A, which is now driving my subwoofer better than ever before.

I can now say, without that little feeling of lying to myself, that my sound system is kick-***.

Specs:

M-120A:

2x120W or 1x300W bridged into 8Ω. 0.01 and 0.02% THD.
>110dB SNR
2x 10-LED output meters tuned to be relative to 8 output Wattage.

L-120A:

2x100W into 8Ω
>106dB SNR
0.01% THD at rated Wattage
2-band EQ, 150/300/600Hz low-pass and 1500/3000/6000Hz high-pass. +/-10dB. Bypassable.

They're sex.

Last edited:
I can now say, without that little feeling of lying to myself, that my sound system is kick-***.
Glad youre enjoying your new gear. Nothing like having that smile-inspiring system pieced together over time. When I stroll into the local hifi shops...the rich man systems dont make me envious anymore. I can sit back and relax knowing that my system sounds just as good as those at a fraction of the cost.

Glad youre enjoying your new gear. Nothing like having that smile-inspiring system pieced together over time. When I stroll into the local hifi shops...the rich man systems dont make me envious anymore. I can sit back and relax knowing that my system sounds just as good as those at a fraction of the cost.

+1. Used to sit in Best Buy, boss, bang and olufsen stores dreaming. I go in there and chuckle to myself knowing I spent a lot less.

So I got my Pioneer SX-9 back from the shop today.. got home.. installed.. played some jazz...

DEAR LORD.............

It's like my speakers just woke up from a dream. I've never been quite so wowed at an electronics change.

I am still getting new speakers though because these 1970s speakers while sounding great, are very poor at off-axis listening. I have to toe them in and sit within a foot of headspace to get the stereo effect. The ones I listened to at the store were parallel to the wall not toed in at all and had perfect stereo effect for 3-4 feet on either side of my seating position. The new speakers also still sounded better even after the amp swap on my old speakers. I would imagine the new speaker would get a similar bump in performance since they were using a multi-channel AVR through a speaker switchbox which puts on a resistive load harming performance.

While I'd love to have some tube equipment some of you have posted in the first couple of posts, I at least can claim to have started out with tube gear, a Sansui 500a receiver, a 20wpc powerhouse! I think it had something like 19 tubes. Never had to change one in about 4 years of daily use. Along with the pair of AR 2 way air suspension speakers I had better than average sound - for the day. While I'd love to have a tube amp, I have too many other hobbies, motorcycle, golfing, computing, and photography.

Maybe some day. Those tube amps look nice!

At any rate, I finally have my HT/2 channel the way I want it. I didn't take the diy route like so many of you have, but I'm retired and don't want to spend time in the garage building things. Spare time is used on the golf course or motorcycle.

My towers are Emotiva 8.3 towers, center is an AV123 bigfoot and the surrounds are Emotiva ERD-1 bipoles. Great sounding system, at least to my ears.

Amp is also an Emotiva, the UPA-7 125wpc 7 channels. It delivers 280wpc in 2 channel to the towers(4 ohm). Shown above the amp is an HK AVR 247 receiver I used as a pre/pro that has been replaced with an Onkyo SC885 pre/pro. DVD player is an HK DVD 38. Sub is an Infinity PS212 400 watt unit. About 85% is 2 channel music.

Next update will be to change out the entertainment center. Its ~15 years old. That will likely be it for another 8-10 years unless something breaks.

Prior to this setup, for 8 years I had an HK AVR 520 with Infinity IL40s, JBL S Center (4 years) and Infinity IL30 surrounds.

I'd describe the change in sound quality as remarkable.

DSC_1542.jpg

I notice alot of you guys take the grills off your speakers. Do the grills lower the sound quality? Or do you just like the look of them without the grills on?

I notice alot of you guys take the grills off your speakers. Do the grills lower the sound quality? Or do you just like the look of them without the grills on?

We leave the grills off for the same reason people have windows in their pc cases, because it looks cool :beer:

My speakers sound the same regardless if the grills are on or off. A good speaker grill should be transparent. Mine stay on all the time...I only had em off in my pics so you guys could see whats behind em ;).

Back