• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Audio Pics

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Actually it's the Magneplanar MMG not the 1.7. Not sure how I got those mixed up.

Yeah the Magnepan MMG's are great little speakers, but a sub (or 2) is a must, and they need to be fast subs to keep up (either 8" or 10"). I have 3 pairs of maggies, a set of tympani 1 d's (custom hardwood frames and crossovers), a set of MG3a's, and a set of MG1 improved. For the price, magnepan speakers can't be beat. The major drawbacks to them are lack of major bass output below 40Hz (except top of the line models), room placement (at least 3-4 feet from back wall and 2-3 feet from side walls), and amplifier requirements (although they can sound good with lower power, they shine with 500-600+ watts). The true ribbon models are the best though (2.5, 2.6, 3, 3a, 3.3, 3.5, 3.6, 3.7, 20.1, 20.7), and are the best value on the used market. If you have the space, the amps, and the money, they are hard (if not impossible) to beat. But that is just the opinion of a 10+ year owner of maggies:D

Maxvla, one of us is confused.

I believe that "all channels driven" is all channels are capable of putting out that power simultaneously. The Emotiva has a 1200VA transformer, the same size as their XPA-1 Monoblock. The XPA-1 puts out 500W/8ohm 1000W/4ohm into one channel. That means that the XPA-2 can put out 500W into each channel, or 1kW total output at a 4 ohm load. If you bridge the two channels then you should get the same power output as the monoblock amp. See page 10 of this manual as an additional reference: http://emotiva.com/resources/manuals/xseries_amp_manual.pdf

Regular receivers are rated for like 100W/ch into 7ch (for example). Where it can dump 100W into one channel at full power, but not all channels driven because they have a little wimpy transformer. Hence why the max power consumption can be like 3-400W for a "7x100" amp/receiver.

OK I see now when I look at their 5 output amp it's 300W @ 4 ohm. Their wording is misleading and unclear. They should just say wattage x 'X' channels. "All channels driven" to me sounds like they are adding all channels together.

My setup: Two Mackie MR5m1 monitors running off a PreSonus AudioboxUSB.

Very nice system. Ive always wanted to grab a pair of powered monitors. The Mackies Ive heard sounded pretty damn good. One wedding I was at, the DJ had a pair of large Mackies with horns, and they were some of the smoothest sounding speakers Ive heard. Not a hint of horn glare whatsoever.

Here's my almost 40 year old Stax SR-3/SRD-5 setup sitting on my Yamaha RX-V450 digital receiver being fed from my PC via SPDIF optical toslink.

Sounds better than anything I've found at Best Buy. I got them from a high-end audio tweak shop in Berkley, CA while docked at Alameda, CA on the USS Ranger CVA-61.

I also have a pair of Koss ESP-9 headphones. Need to replace some bad caps in the adapter box so I can use them again without the 60Hz hum getting through.

Stax SR-3 SRD-5.jpg

Nice work. I'm personally not a fan of the thick cables and would rather have the white and blue twist the whole way.

Nice work. I'm personally not a fan of the thick cables and would rather have the white and blue twist the whole way.

I would consider that, but anything that rubs on the bare wire just resonates right into the ear piece. Which is the main reason I replaced the stock silver cable. It was becoming such a pain.

A current shot of my setup :D

When I buy a house of my own I will treat myself to a lifetime of debt and a new stereo, most of this one is about 15 years old now :thup:

Still looks nice, dude! Big setup. Well compared to my two little monitors..
Nice PC stand, btw, good against spills or floods.

Thanks man!

I forgot I snapped a pic when I got a new tv :bang head

The cinder block was either for floods, because the water heater is behind my couch, and dust, because the mutant dust bunnys that spawn here can be vicious.. I have seen firsthand the havoc they can wreak!

Ahh... there is a nice Rotel pre/pro and 5ch power amp Ive been spying.. belongs to a friend of mine, has some nice Angstrom towers to go with it. He wants 2k for it, wich I would gladly pay, but I think baby might be born today or tonite, so.. :shrug:

New headphones:

hd800h.jpg

Does that say 300 Ohms on it? That doesn't make sense I must not be able to read it. Unless that is a common impedance of headphones..

Looks great though.

Last edited:
Yes it's my custom all-black Sennheiser HD800 which has an impedance of 300ohms. This is a relatively common impedance for headphones.

Back