• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What do you think of this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dapman02

Hey all, I'm kicking around the Idea to go back to water cooling...again
This time though, I'm not getting a kit, although I'm going to use the radiator from my swift tech kit (the 2x 120mm fan one)
Here is what I'm looking at for a block
D-tek fuzion V2
And here is the pump
Swiftech MCP655-B

I'm looking for bang-for-buck performance, and I believe the radiator is good.

From my very green (by that I mean new to the area and not environment friendly) research into h20 cooling, I believe people will end up recommending the apogee gtz block for you...as for the rest, i'm not sure, i'm still learning.

From my very green (by that I mean new to the area and not environment friendly) research into h20 cooling, I believe people will end up recommending the apogee gtz block for you...as for the rest, i'm not sure, i'm still learning.

I believe the gtz is 775 only

I believe the gtz is 775 only

I would recommend the GTZ. It is definitely the top block out there. The D-tek isnt garbage, by any means, though.

Part # Apogee-GTZ-1U-S-HD, is a multi-platform hold-down plate that provides compatibility with

* Intel® Xeon™ socket 771, and legacy 603, 604
* AMD® socket F, and legacy 754, 939, 940
* Due to the hybrid nature of this hold-down solution, users are advised to check for possible clearance issues with their particular motherboards by using the schematic below.

from swiftech website.

mcp-655b is a good pump. You can also look at the vario version of it, or the mcp-355 with an aftermarket top.

I am not sure what rad was with your old kit, but its the normal swiftech rad, it should be fine.

Your Swiftech rad is good to go with a cpu only loop.

For a waterblock, the Fuzion v2 is a good choice, as is the Swiftech GTZ. But the GTZ will require you to buy a $10 AM2 adapter and I think the AM2 plate comes with the Fuzion. Another good choice for the P II is the one I'm using on my 940, the DD MC-TDX. But the thing I don't like about the standard MC-TDX is that they come with an acrylic top and AM2 mounting plate and I don't like acrylic for either of those components. DD does make a brass top and a SS universal mount plate, which is what I'm using with my MC-TDX that gets rid of those negatives, but also drives the price of the block up higher than the Fuzion. My temps with my MC-TDX are great though.

The pump is also a solid choice. I wouldn't consider that DD pump.

I have an extra am2 plate for the swiftech apogee gt. I wonder if it would fit the gtz, as I would be willing to send it for shipping only.

MCR is a good rad but you will need more rad for CPU + GPU WC especially if you OC them.

Both the Fuzion v2 and GTZ should outperform the MC-TDX. I don't think there is enough of a price difference to not get either of the ones you suggested in your first post.

I would suggest you keep the MCP655-B idea for a pump. It is a good solid pump which should serve you well.

Just my $.02

that DD pump is not a good one and i would stick with the swiftech one.

as for the blocks, they perform the same so go with which ever one you want. as mudd said you will have to buy a adaptor for the GTZ.

MCR is a good rad but you will need more rad for CPU + GPU WC especially if you OC them.

Both the Fuzion v2 and GTZ should outperform the MC-TDX. I don't think there is enough of a price difference to not get either of the ones you suggested in your first post.

I would suggest you keep the MCP655-B idea for a pump. It is a good solid pump which should serve you well.

Just my $.02

Yea, if he's going to do the GPU's too he needs more raddage for sure.

Alright, I am probably going to go water cooling, here is what I'm looking at
Pump:

DD Eheim

DD 12V-D5

Blocks:
I only really have one choice
OCZ

I know the block isn't the best performing, it is the only one microcenter has that will work with AM2
I would like to keep the parts at my local microcenter (only 1 hour away, woot)

Also, I do' tknow where half of my radbox's screws and stuff are, what other alternatives can I use to mount my radiator.

go to the local hardware store and pickup some metal strips.

img0078wi7.jpg

Alright, so they had the swiftech pump at microcenter that was listed earlyer, so I picked it up
For the block I got the OCZ one, it seems to be doing a great job
right now I am trying to get all the air out of my loop, and tomorrow I gotta find out how to mount my radiator
What do you guys think of the gutted fan method.

These Temps are GREAT!!
I'm sitting at a solid 47 degrees at full load, WITH a nasty kink in it
I"m going to go to lowes later and see if I can find one of those pieces of metal, is there a spacific piece I should look for.

not sure if its different over there but i went to were they have threaded rod's. mine is aluminum and was 3 feet x 1/8" x 1" i measured it up and used a hack saw to cut it up. i should have painted it but w/e not a concern.

not sure if its different over there but i went to were they have threaded rod's. mine is aluminum and was 3 feet x 1/8" x 1" i measured it up and used a hack saw to cut it up. i should have painted it but w/e not a concern.

It turns out with that earlyer post one of the cores faild
I'm up to 54 degrees :(
I think the culpret is the awful kink, I need to have my radiator farther from my case to get rid of it.

if you can find some springs at the hardware store, you can wrap them around the tubing to help reduce the kink.

but an easier way is use zip ties to help reduce the kinking. i had some left over clamps and put them on the small tube going to the suction of my pump. you can see it helps keep the shape of the tubing.

img0147zn3.jpg

Alright, oo I now have my hoses hooked up between my 2x4870's
Now my big concern is the heat generated by the 4870's melting the hose.
Should this be a concern

Alright, oo I now have my hoses hooked up between my 2x4870's
Now my big concern is the heat generated by the 4870's melting the hose.
Should this be a concern

? do you mean your cards are w/c or one of the tubes for the cpu runs between the cards?

either way nothing will happen, outside of cutting the airflow to the card, to the tubing as water is running through it. and unless the tubing is on the die and the gpu is turned on it won't melt. i've never heard that happening.

tygon, feser seem to the best brands for tubing, everything (sold as water cooling tubing, not hardware store stuff) else is still acceptable though.

Back