• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Crossfire with World of warcraft

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fast96se

I just got my crossfire to work. My fix was updated my mobo bios and getting 8.10 drivers instead of 9.1, if i go higher than 8.10 the crossfire option dissapears. Anyway i logged into wow today with crossfire enabled and it didnt look right. Everything was flashing a bunch. When i disabled crossfire i logged in and it looked fine. Would like to hear what you guys think about this

WoW doesnt need crossfire, thats why. It will run on alot of cheap-o cards just fine lol. The in-town lag usually comes from server or internet lag, not graphics intensity.

well yea wow doesnt need it but why am i getting this problem, id rather not have to disable/enable crossfire when switching between games.

Don't use crossfire with WoW. Not needed and just causes problems. It's like trying to enable crossfire for Diablo II and not expecting problems.

You can't expect new technology to work with extremely old technology all the time. You said it flashes with crossfire on, works with it off. Logical solution is to play it with crossfire off right? You don't lose any performance. :p

The blinking/flickering problem that you have in WoW is indeed a known bug when running crossfire. However, Catalyst 8.12 and further have resolved this issue.

Under resolved issues in 8.12, it states: "Setting shadow quality to high or medium
may cause flickering in World of Warcraft"

If you are experiencing Catalyst issues, you may want to try the 8.12 hotfix drivers

If you are unable to get catalyst drivers to install, make sure both HD 4850's have the same bios version.

If only 8.10 works, 1) run the game in window mode 2) disable crossfire 4) disable Catalyst AI or 4) set shadow quality to the lowest setting

With the brief time i've had with WoW, i can confrim that the latest patch fixes the flickering. Although i am able to see gpu load on both cards, crossfire offers no improvement over a single card, but at least crossfire is compatible now.

I just got my crossfire to work. My fix was updated my mobo bios and getting 8.10 drivers instead of 9.1, if i go higher than 8.10 the crossfire option dissapears. Anyway i logged into wow today with crossfire enabled and it didnt look right. Everything was flashing a bunch. When i disabled crossfire i logged in and it looked fine. Would like to hear what you guys think about this

there is a hotfix to fix the crossfire issue when running 2 4850's (512mb flavor) in crossfire as far as CCC is concerned, so that way you can update your drivers and still use crossfire... I know I had to use it... kept getting restarts all the time without it. I think they incorporated it into 9.1 cuz I dont have the problem any more.

WoW doesnt need crossfire, thats why. It will run on alot of cheap-o cards just fine lol. The in-town lag usually comes from server or internet lag, not graphics intensity.

With more add-ons the graphis lag is becoming more and more for people, many people used to be able to play it on MUCH lower systems, but with the new add-ons, they notice worse and worse FPS.

with all the updates WoW gets you would think they could add in some proper support for Xfire, considering the MASSIVE user base of this game, i am sure more then a few thousand people prob use Xfire out of the 9million users

I hadn't thought about all the new content for WoW as I dont play it. It still looks like it can be playable on a weak system with settings accordingly though because of the "cartoony" graphics. The look of the game is what has kept me from it for all this time.

Last edited:
the new shader core just kills video cards now. they are over extending the old graphics of wow imho. 8.12 fix the shader flicker but crossfire/sli still lags in wow. my 4870x2.. crossfire "works" ie.. the logo will apear and both cards get some load but i still lag in raids/major towns. my single 4870 did better....

i really wish i didnt have the x2 and i was running two cards so i could disable one for wow.

the new shader core just kills video cards now. they are over extending the old graphics of wow imho. 8.12 fix the shader flicker but crossfire/sli still lags in wow. my 4870x2.. crossfire "works" ie.. the logo will apear and both cards get some load but i still lag in raids/major towns. my single 4870 did better....

i really wish i didnt have the x2 and i was running two cards so i could disable one for wow.

can you not just disable catalyist AI, and that will disable the crossfire on the x2 i have to do this for flatout ultimate carnage or my fps is crappy

I have to agree, crossfire is not needed at all for Wow... just a decent processor and a decent vid card... I get 60 FPS (the cap) with all detail maxed out @ 1680x1050, everywhere in WoW except for Dalaran where it can dip down to maybe 30 FPS with a lot of traffic. My card is getting a 16,600 in 3DMark06.

one of the guys in my guild gets 130 fps in raids. His rig isnt anything too special, hes get a core 2 duo @ 3.2, 8 gigs of ram, and two 9800 gtx's running SLI

Heh... I just turned my vertical sync off to see what it would do... Highest was 248 FPS in Shadowmoon valley... 95 FPS in Shatt, ~60-80 for most of Northrend.

I know this is a really old post, but I just built a new Rig running crossfire for World of warcraft and it does make a big difference.

I am running Two AMD 6970's. No matter where i am in the game I get 60FPS with ver sync on of course.

I am playing wow at 2560x1600 at ultra on everything.

My old system I have a GTX 470, with you could not run everything on ultra, shadows had to be turned down for the game to run smooth ~ 60FPS

The only difference in crossfire is when raiding or mass pulls with lots of AOE spells there is no more "Lag" or Video slow down.

I hope this helps some people

I do have to say, SLI / Crossfire runs really hot :( So if you build a computer, consider Water cooling the video cards....

World of Warcraft has not had any serious issues with crossfire for quite some time. I think the last issue I can recall was years ago back when I was still running 4850s in crossfire. They introduced the new shadows engine and it didn't work with crossfire, but simply lowering that slider a few notches would have it using the older engine which still worked fine. Several months later the new shadows engine was also working properly with crossfire and that was the last big issue I've ever had.

World of Warcraft even works well with quad crossfire, with better scaling than many games.

Yeah, patch 3.0 absolutely destroyed SLi and Crossfire setups with that update. I just don't want to take the risk and have performance issues while rendering the game unplayable. The game is so CPU bound, there isn't really a reason for multiple cards.

Back