• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need helps stablize 3.52 GHz with Q6600

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SamSaveMax

Thanks for taking a peek at this thread and possibly your advice for helping stablize at 3.52GHz.

I'm currently STABLE at 3.40GHz.
PASSED LINPACK 7 loops #2 <==
Stable 15 hrs with Prime95 small FFTs <==

============

These are my current settings in BIOS stable at 3.40GHz.

23m8y9e.jpg

============

Below is a chart that I tried with 3.52GHz but failed with just almost about every setting. I can boot into OS and use light application without any problem. I can run SuperPI 1M with no fuss..... but would FAIL Prime95 small FFTs instantly.
Please notice from the table...those are the only adjustments that can be made in the bios.

2dudpb5.jpg

Spec:
Asus P5E-VM HDMI with G35 chipset (no additional graphic card added since I use its HDMI connector)
4x1GB Patriot PDC22G6400LLK
Cooler Master N520
500W Antec NeoPower

EDIT: Stable 13hrs P95 small FFTs & Linpack #2 with 8 loops at 3.52GHz with a CM Hyper Z600R cooler.

2vab4hg.jpg
rsa680.jpg

Last edited:
That Vdrop and Vdroop are really high, you should maybe look in to a volt mod for your motherboard. Or if it has loadline callibration try turning that on.

You should not have to change PLL voltage, so that should be left at 1.5V. Have you tried other FSB settings for 3.52 GHz? For example try it with a 9x multiplier.

Last edited:
+1 for 9x as the p35/p45 chipset really has problems over 400 FSB on quads. It can be done, I've managed to get 8x450 but it was very unstable. Also +1 on Vdroop, that's way to much drop. Enable LLC, give it 1.38v or so and try 9x400.

Thanks guys... I'll try @ 9x when I get a chance in the next few days.

It's tough with this micro ATX G35 board which supports only 800MHz ram....and has no LLC menu option at all.
But finally, I got it made with a few chances in bios....... stable 13hrs P95 small FFTs & Linpack #2 with 8 loops at 3.52GHz with a CM Hyper Z600R cooler.

This time I was able to boot and functional as normal at 3.60GHz ..... but would fail P95. Though, I'm happy with this speed 3.52GHz as originally wanted.
(I had to chop an inche off the metal cage housing which holds the hard drive in order to accomodates this cooler)

2vab4hg.jpg
22xr48.jpg
rsa680.jpg
hsj1xi.jpg

Last edited:
does your NB volts need to be that high? I'm not sure with your board but the one in my sig i don't need any more than 1.4 to be stable over 3.6 and i have heard that the P5E over volts ram. My specs for ram are 2.2v and i run it stable with 1.9 so maybe after you get to a stable part try and lower the volts to NB and ram. Just a thought your board might be completely different.

Edit: my P5E has a pencil mod to cure your cpu voltage issue maybe yours does to! Its cheap and easy and it works great if your find one.

does your NB volts need to be that high? I'm not sure with your board but the one in my sig i don't need any more than 1.4 to be stable over 3.6 and i have heard that the P5E over volts ram. My specs for ram are 2.2v and i run it stable with 1.9 so maybe after you get to a stable part try and lower the volts to NB and ram. Just a thought your board might be completely different.

Edit: my P5E has a pencil mod to cure your cpu voltage issue maybe yours does to! Its cheap and easy and it works great if your find one.

Yeah! Thanks for mentioning that NB voltage. Yes, it needed to be at that high to be stable.....unlike other board which requires around 1.4v.... I'm surprised that this board (P5E-VM HDMI = G35 chipset) could get as high as it is for a mATX.
Now, you got me going again looking for that pencil mod for this board......let's see...I'll try to google for it :bang head

Don't know why it took this long to do the pencil mod...but I did it and would like to update my post. Not only surpassed 3.60GHz...it is now @ 3.70GHz on my microATX.

Didn't feel like guzzling another 13hrs of energy...an hour on this rig is fine for me.

Previously:
8x440 FSB = 3.52GHz
Rams: 555-15
Vcore in bios 1.60v
Idle: 1.488v
Load: 1.344v (big vdroop)
1M Super PI: 14.859s

Currently:
9x411 FSB = 3.70GHz
The same Rams: 444-12
Vcore in bios: 1.4625v
Idle: 1.432v http://i48.tinypic.com/e8ld7t.jpg
Load: 1.424v http://i48.tinypic.com/t8usrn.jpg
1M Super PI: 14.008s http://i46.tinypic.com/2hqfgq8.jpg

jfjjm8.jpg

Last edited:
sweet! nice job!

Thanks mate.

The nice things about this pencil mod allowed me to reduced other voltages as well. Which was impossible to do before.

NB: 1.63 now = 1.41
NB Ref: 0.67x now = 0.61x
FSB Termination Voltage: 1.32 now = 1.30
DRAM: 2.30 now = 2.20
PLL: 1.70 now = 1.50
CPU Voltage Damper: Enabled

Yeah! Thanks for mentioning that NB voltage. Yes, it needed to be at that high to be stable.....unlike other board which requires around 1.4v.... I'm surprised that this board (P5E-VM HDMI = G35 chipset) could get as high as it is for a mATX.
Now, you got me going again looking for that pencil mod for this board......let's see...I'll try to google for it :bang head

Is pencil mod still around? I thought it's from the 90's era, and how long can it stick ( the carbon, I mean ).

Does it make a difference which brand, what type (H, 2H, 2B, etc) of pencil you use?

Really really helpful thread. Thanks! Wow, cool rig!

Most newer board has improved its vdroop level.

On this first vdroop mod, I've used a #2 lead pencil ...which is a temporary fix and may falls or dust off eventually.
The other 2 (E8400 & E8500) I've used a conductive pen to make it as a permanent fix. It proved to be better than using a pencil.

Most newer board has improved its vdroop level.

On this first vdroop mod, I've used a #2 lead pencil ...which is a temporary fix and may falls or dust off eventually.
The other 2 (E8400 & E8500) I've used a conductive pen to make it as a permanent fix. It proved to be better than using a pencil.

conductive pen? how does it look like? totally noob....:confused:

essentially its a pen that the ink conducts electricty! the only think is you dont want too much or you will fry your pc...look at your hobby shop for them

To be honest, this is just sick... 3.7ghz on a quad core on air.... I need some more info on your air cooler and setup.

I have 5 120mm fans including the one on my cpu cooler (Cooler Master 212 Plus). And at 3.2ghz with Prime I am at 68 celcius. I dont know how your temps are that low.

Last edited:
@BumAround: This is how a conductive pen looks like. I bought mine at Fry's Electronic for $10 in the circuitry/computer parts department.
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/8420p.html

@TechJunky: My system is all listed in those screenshots. 4 sticks of 1GB ram PC6400, Cooler Master Z600R. Though, I did lapped my cpu....not the shiniest but would do the job. It probably yields 2 or maybe 3 degrees cooler.
Your CM Hyper 212+ is a good cooler....but might not be enough for Q6600 as it generates a lot of heat

dfy62a.jpg
http://i45.tinypic.com/dfy62a.jpg

Last edited:
I might just lap my cpu. My cpu defiantly doesnt like anything over 400mhz either. If I go to 401 it will no longer be stable. I just got done running Prime95 for 18+hrs and my temps are at 65c, so maybe the longer it runs the better it stabilizes? This is on 400x8.

I dont know what else to do other than lap.

Do you have your cores like 10 degrees apart? Mine on CoreTemp and RealTemp show 67,67, 57,57 for temps this is with tjmax set to 100c. Is this normal? This was after 18hrs of prime95 on 3.2ghz.

Also, if I use speedfan I show 10c difference from CoreTemp.

I am really stumped.

I didn't want to OC more as I thought I was hitting my max temps for this cpu..

Coretemp at idle

SpeedFan at idle

As you can tell im stumped. What temp should I trust?

Last edited:
Yes, I do have almost 10 degrees apart from the other 2 cores.
I'm you get it further more.
Just pay attetion to my screenshots.....the reason I display a lot of different hardware monitors in one screenshot....is to show all of my settings. One could probably base off it for his own setting closely.
If your board has Load Line Calibration....use it.
Though, I do not know what cooler have you.
Again, a good TIM would help as welll......bolt-on coolers are the best.
Realtemp is my main temps monitor.

Back