• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

to add another radiator, or not?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gsrcrxsi

so ive been debating whether or not to add another radiator.

my current setup is in my sig:

3.6GHz q6600
8800GT (stock)
dtek fuzion V1 block on CPU
dtek fuzion gfx V2 block on GPU
mcp350 pump
micro res

and all cooled by MCR320QP currently with 1200RPM scythe s-flex fans. i also have 3x scythe ultra kaze 2000 RPM fans. i recently switched to the s-flex because they are quieter and do almost as good of a job.

now i have a gtx 280 on the way that will be cooled by the gfx2 waterblock + Dtek unisink. but with the OCed q6600 and gtx280, will it be too much for the single 320 rad? i was thinking if i added another rad i could mod my case a bit to fit a 220 in the bottom front.

IF i added a second rad, what would be suggested?
single loop? or dual loop?
CPU on the 320 and GPU on the 220?
or
CPU on the 220 and GPU on the 320?

id assume the first scenario. any help much appreciated! :)

Yeah, I think the second rad would be a good idea with a 280 thrown into the loop instead of the old 8800GT. And you should be able to do it in 1 loop. I am using 1 loop in my main rig with cpu and 8800GTS with 2 rads with no problems. My loop order is:

pump>rad1>cpu>rad2>gpu>res.

Now I am using a beast of a pump and not a 350, but I still think that 350 should power a single loop with no problems.

what ever you do please let us know how it works out. I am cooling my 8800gts and Q6600 on a mcp350 and mcr220. I am thinking about adding a mcr120 into the loop.

Of course two separate loops would be better, but one should be fine.

I would think you'd be fine with the 320. You can swap the 280 in and see what your temps are. If they are higher than you like, you can drop the Q6600 down a tad till you get a another rad.

Axis

yea im gonna leave it how it is for now. but i probably will end up with a second rad. im interested in doing 2 loops as well. just have to do a little research on case ideas, etc.

Back