• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Thinking about an E8500

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
If you already have a Phenom 2 at 3.7ghz, you'd be chucking cash out the window, unless you just want to say your machine runs at 4ghz..

You will probably be able to hit 4.5Ghz with water. I am running 4Ghz on air and the temp is not my limiting factor. My e8400 hit 50oC max load with a TRUE. But i need 1.41v to get that. I don't want to push any more voltage in it not because of degradation due to heat but because of degradation due to voltage.

So you answer would be: very easily

If you already have a Phenom 2 at 3.7ghz, you'd be chucking cash out the window, unless you just want to say your machine runs at 4ghz..

I'm kinda bored with the phenom and thinking about getting back into intel. It was a mistake going with an X4. Its totally unnecessary for what i do on a daily basis.

Anyone have any 4ghz E8500 benchmarks?

Last edited:
Unless you want to run something like 445x9.5 then go w/ some 4-4-4-12 800mhz ram thatll do 900mhz so you get the lower ram timings.

Id rather have the higher FSB and looser 5-5-5-15 timings though.

You need the board in my sig if you're going with an e8500, then get some DDR2-1066 and you'll be set for some silly-high FSB action. 8x533 was cake with my setup; probably will head to ~8x550 before I call it good enough.

If you can swing it, I'd get an e8600 too. They come up on the classies pretty often for under $200. Typically proven good clockers as well.

Last edited:
You need the board in my sig if you're going with an e8500, then get some DDR2-1066 and you'll be set for some silly-high FSB action. 8x533 was cake with my setup; probably will head to ~8x550 before I call it good enough.

+1

The Gigabyte EP45-UD3P is an excellent LGA775 board :thup:

If you can swing it, I'd get an e8600 too. They come up on the classies pretty often for under $200. Typically proven good clockers as well.

Matt,

Do you have any numbers floating around? 1M Super pi times? Would really love to see what a C2D can do at 4ghz+

Heh, I just ran some numbers today for kicks.. I didn't keep any, but my 1M SuperPI time was just a touch over 11 seconds.

e8600 is nice because you get the added benefit of the 10x multi vs the e8500 9.5x - just more options with a 10x multi..

oh I'll just go run it real quick - i'm on my laptop right now.

Back!

11.049 seconds to be exact for the 1M SuperPI run.

I did 10.5 seconds SP 1M @ 4.5ghz w/ my E8400.

If you are shooting for 533 FSB, theres no point in spending the extra money on an E8500 or E8600 if you can get an E0 stepped 8400. You probably wont be running 533x9 as it is.

You will love this board. It's easily in the top three boards I've ever owned. Don't let the low price fool you; there are plenty of $200 boards that don't overclock nearly as well, or as easily.

Doz is correct as well; you really don't need any better than an E0 e8400 if you're looking for 4GHz.

Last edited:
Heh, I just ran some numbers today for kicks.. I didn't keep any, but my 1M SuperPI time was just a touch over 11 seconds.

e8600 is nice because you get the added benefit of the 10x multi vs the e8500 9.5x - just more options with a 10x multi..

oh I'll just go run it real quick - i'm on my laptop right now.

Back!

11.049 seconds to be exact for the 1M SuperPI run.

My 3.8ghz Phenom 2 can only do the 1M test in 18.719s. Sad.. Thanks guys. I'm going to fry's soon. They don't have the E8600 so i'll have to settle for the E8500 for now.

P45.

As matt said, the UD3P board is a great board. I tried the DS3L from gigabyte (p45 based as well) and hated it personally. Its the 2nd Gigabyte Ive tried and I just dont like them.

I love the P5Q though (Asus) and its P45 as well. Its all preference. UD3P and P5Q-Pro are 2 of the best choices you can make. If you want to spend more, you can get the P5Q-Deluxe, but I would just go w/ the pro unless you plan on going 5ghz+

Back