• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Well they generate a cores worth less of heat and energy drain. That probably has something to do with it!
Not counting 4th core enabled ofc, but not a lot of peeps get that working.

I've had them running at 1.7+ vcore on air unlocked.....they are extremely resillient ;) etc high leakage...not just one, 5 720's 4 of which unlocked....

The NB voltage on my Foxconn board below is set to 1.86v. The lowest I can set it to 1.68v. Does this sound odd or crazy to you guys? Also, Dolk I love your guide. It definetly should be stickied. I managed to push my 720BE to 3.72ghz using your guide assistance. Anything higher([email protected], 3.8ghz) raises my temps pass 55c and causes errors in prime and BSOD's. I think I may have hit the heat wall. I've tried raising the NB to 2600mhz but still got BSOD's and errors. Do you think I can squeeze anymore out this baby with this cooler? Any suggestion I would surely appreciate.

Probably not. The 720BE on a AM2+ system has a limit around where you are at. I would be pretty happy where you are considering that is where my CPU sits. I need to find time again to OC :p

As for your strange NB voltage problem. This could be a BIOS error, reading the voltage wrong. Or you could be looking at something else like the NB Voltage VDD but I'm not to sure either or. My suggestion is to update the BIOS to the latest and see where that takes you.

For a second opinion, load up AOD and see what the voltage is there.

The NB voltage on my Foxconn board below is set to 1.86v. The lowest I can set it to 1.68v. Does this sound odd or crazy to you guys? Also, Dolk I love your guide. It definetly should be stickied. I managed to push my 720BE to 3.72ghz using your guide assistance. Anything higher([email protected], 3.8ghz) raises my temps pass 55c and causes errors in prime and BSOD's. I think I may have hit the heat wall. I've tried raising the NB to 2600mhz but still got BSOD's and errors. Do you think I can squeeze anymore out this baby with this cooler? Any suggestion I would surely appreciate.
That's got to be the "NB" voltage that's 2.5v stock. Can't remember the exact label for it but it's in the K10 Power & Thermal Guide white paper ...

My 790FX is at 1.2v I don't see how his could be 1.3vs higher than mine.

VDDA provides power to the CPU (PLL) multipliers. Nominal power is 2.5v @ 250mA. IDK why they have a setting for that but it's the only thing that comes close to what a couple of people have now reported seeing in their BIOS. The CPU PLLs are on the NB, which may account for the misleading label.

I couldn't remember the name or the exact details but I researched this last week in re a comment in another thread. That's why I didn't get into it in my previous post ... :)

Last edited:
Maybe its a weird thing with Foxconn and how they implement the bios language. But this is what the bios has in it:
Vcore setting:6(hex, blah)
HT Voltage:1.10
Dimm Voltage:2.208
NB Voltage:1.815(meant 1.815 in original post, not 1.86, sorry)
CPU PLL Voltage Setting:2.49

During my overclocking trial I also noticed that if I even raised the NB voltage to 1.86 my system would not post. As for AOD, it shows the NB VID at 1.15 and NB HT at 1.110. So I guess its mislabeled in the Bios. One thing is odd though about AOD readings is that it says my current CPU vcore at 1.300. But its really 1.47.

Here is what AOD shows.

01180d64f8fb5268fdd91ed9b5c1ead56g.jpg

Last edited:
I just flashed my bios and now I'm getting different readings in AMD Overdrive. I was basing my 1.1v on what it showed as the voltage when it was set to auto, but now on auto it reads 1.375v. When I bump it up to 1.3125 in the bios it reads 1.275 in Overdrive. This board is a bit strange. BTW, when I up my HT and NB speed to 2000MHz I fail Prime blend in 4 hours. With it set at 1800 I can Prime 14 hours without a hitch. Maybe it would work if I upped the voltage but I'm the only one getting any more juice around here. :beer:

R7

Maybe its a weird thing with Foxconn and how they implement the bios language. But this is what the bios has in it:

During my overclocking trial I also noticed that if I even raised the NB voltage to 1.86 my system would not post. As for AOD, it shows the NB VID at 1.15 and NB HT at 1.110. So I guess its mislabeled in the Bios. One thing is odd though about AOD readings is that it says my current CPU vcore at 1.300. But its really 1.47.

I also find AOD to not be accurate especially in regard to CPU NB voltage, it shows the stock speed of 1.1750 instead of my BIOS setting of 1.25v.

Last edited:

There is also VDDIO, which is stock at 1.80v ...

Old MacDonald had a farm, VDDIO, and on this farm he had.....Oh, sorry I had an early morning regression. I think I'll turn on Sesame Street. :D

R7 :beer:

All these voltages confuse me! The only ones I have ever seemed to need are the vcore and vdimm. And once I upgrade to something a little more advanced, I will have to use the cpu nb. That's all I have ever seen make a difference in people clocks.

Gmoney01 have you tried updating your BIOS? What I am seeing is that you have limited accessibility in your BIOS. It's not uncommon to see some Motherboards not allow you to mess with the HT and CPU-NB but with just the RAM and CPU itself.

Gmoney01 have you tried updating your BIOS? What I am seeing is that you have limited accessibility in your BIOS. It's not uncommon to see some Motherboards not allow you to mess with the HT and CPU-NB but with just the RAM and CPU itself.

yeah, i have the latest bios for this mobo,which is P07 and dated 03/07/09. these settings aren't locked, I can change all of tthem. its just that my nb voltage in the bios is way higher than what everybody elses and AOD says. maybe the the HT voltage is the NB voltage in this bios?

Nah those two should be on two different settings. If you take pics or link your BIOS manual I can see what I can do on this end with that information.

Back