• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
InsaneManiac: from my own experience and what I see with others so far, the phenom II's dont like temps above 55c.

See post #237.

The "CPU PLL" is the circuit on the northbridge that controls the four core multipliers - one PLL sub-circuit for each core. Nominal voltage is 2.5v and, so far, I've never heard of any one changing it. Experimentation welcome ... :)

thanks ice. i'll do some further digging before i decide to touch it. also, I have read that ocing in 32bit environment is much more stable than ocing in a 64bit environment. is this true? my current max oc to 3.72ghz is in a 64bit environment.

:confused:

Hey, with the AM3 Ph2's Oc'ing better on AM3 boards, does that have anything to do with ddr3 memory? or does this occur with the DDR2 variants also... Asus claim on their website that the ASUS M4A78-EM is an am3 board... yet it provides backwards compatibility to AM2 cpu's i thought AM3 board didnt do this?

thanks ice. i'll do some further digging before i decide to touch it. also, I have read that ocing in 32bit environment is much more stable than ocing in a 64bit environment. is this true? my current max oc to 3.72ghz is in a 64bit environment.

:confused:
As a general rule a 64-bit OS reduces the maximum OC of a CPU. YMMV. ;)
Hey, with the AM3 Ph2's Oc'ing better on AM3 boards, does that have anything to do with ddr3 memory? or does this occur with the DDR2 variants also... Asus claim on their website that the ASUS M4A78-EM is an am3 board... yet it provides backwards compatibility to AM2 cpu's i thought AM3 board didnt do this?
IMO, any board that doesn't use DDR3 memory isn't a "real" AM3 board since (again IMO) that's the biggest factor that determines whether it's AM2+ or AM3. IDK why ASUS is so intent on calling all those boards AM3 and I'm not real sure why AMD is letting them get by with it (but maybe AMD can't do anything about it) ...

Probably not. Pure new am3 boards may have better voltage regulation/delivery circuits or any of a million other things that make them work slightly better, or something as simple as a newer more optimized bios.

Air 3.8 - 4.0ghz
Water 3.8-4.3ghz
DI 4.5-5.3ghz
LN2 5.0-6.3
Liquid Helium 6.0+

I ordered my sunbeam core contact, along with an Antec three hundred case for better cooling, and a WD 640 black for a new (bigger) os drive. Ill get a second 640 and stripe them one day =)
3.8+ghz here we come! And my friend is giving me his "old" 4870X2, hes getting a new one =)

lols how do you get a new one? Those things are amazing. Malakai, I would love to see your results for the 955. My next upgrade will be the much higher 3.5ghz Phenom II but that will not be until late in this year.

Just got through reading all that technical stuff :p and you've done a really good job here, Dolk! :):thup:

As you know I've avoided reading it so it wouldn't influence my Old School OC but there are a couple of points I'm anxious to check out once I'm under water. I can sorta' confirm the NB/CPU theory for my chip at least. I was able to pull a few more MHz out of the CPU by increasing the NB speed. I moved it up slowly (there's that Old School again!) and it landed near the low end of your bracket (this was before I read your Guide). Once I get under water I'll really kick the system to see how far it jumps! :D I'm sure your research will help a lot then ...

This is a great guide for the Phenom. I do have a question though, my cpu is idling at around 45C and is running at about 55C on load. What is the safe zone for the Phenom II's?

Insane, What voltages are giving you those temps (I would assume high) and how are you reading them.....e.g. coretemp, speedfan, some sort of proprietary motherboard manu. program????????

At 3600+ im approx. 34-35 idle and 43-45 load when running prime. Readings are with +11c offset from what coretemp gives.

In most situations those are the normal temperatures when you OC the Phenom II.

In most situations those are the normal temperatures when you OC the Phenom II.

So maybe my way of checking temps. is skewed and I could be having temp related problems...Does coretemp with +11 degree offset sound realistic yeilding 34 idle and 44-45 load with a antec 900 all fans on medium and v8 with fan at about 75%?

The CPU fan is running 75%? Your idle temps should be higher if you're under-volting the CPU fan. My idle temps with a TRUE & Panaflo at full tilt, vCore 1.456, vddNB 1.250 are running right at 31°C - SETI load ~48°C ...

The CPU fan is running 75%? Your idle temps should be higher if you're under-volting the CPU fan. My idle temps with a TRUE & Panaflo at full tilt, vCore 1.456, vddNB 1.250 are running right at 31°C - SETI load ~48°C ...

Maybe it would help if i actually got off my fat a@@ and looked at where notch was when I rotated fan switch...seems that my fan switch was at full tilt, I had rotated it down sometime last night and had'nt remembered If I turned it up or not, so I just gave it a turn to what i figured would be 3/4 but it was actually almost at 100%. Sorry to get everones hopes up on my super air cooler..hahahah

By the way what are the CFM on that panaflo.....Is it a really high flow fan and how about noise?????, The V8 fan can be replaced but It would take a little work given that it's clipped to the plastic cap that acts as the upper fan bracket.

Maybe it would help if i actually got off my fat a@@ and looked at where notch was when I rotated fan switch...seems that my fan switch was at full tilt, I had rotated it down sometime last night and had'nt remembered If I turned it up or not, so I just gave it a turn to what i figured would be 3/4 but it was actually almost at 100%. Sorry to get everones hopes up on my super air cooler..hahahah

By the way what are the CFM on that panaflo.....Is it a really high flow fan and how about noise?????, The V8 fan can be replaced but It would take a little work given that it's clipped to the plastic cap that acts as the upper fan bracket.
Not really high flow (that would be my 141 CFM Delta's :D) but very good airflow. Here's a link:
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/pa12mesp.html

A lot of people have been using and loving this fan for years and I'm no exception. I've got four of them in various places around the farm. :)

The only other fans I use, besides the two different Delta models I bought (two each) for very specific purposes, are the Scythe's. Here's a link to the biggest Scythe, the 'G', but there's a chart at the bottom of the page for the others. These are very quiet fans even when they get old and crusty. Those Fluid Dynamic Bearings are great - same thing WD uses in their HDDs! ;)
http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/scsf75cfms12.html

Edit:
BTW - The Scythe's actually deliver the airflow and noise levels claimed, unlike some I could mention. They've been in the Top 3 of all the noise/performance tests I've seen - the other winners vary from test to test. If under-volting is used Panaflo's often finish high on those lists as well.

Last edited:
Back