• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dolk's Guide to the Phenom II

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Nice Job Dolk, I've been in agreement with your theories as they play out as I trial and error. Must have read all these threads regarding the PHNMII 100 times. One question though, there's point when I'm going up that I can't get passed (lets say around 3500 on my 920 unless I drop the HT below 1200... watching others results I see they've done the same to get over the 30%, when I'm at about 3500 my NB freq and HT are about the same. Going above I can keep the NB @1800-2600. . . I don't get it and haven't benched yet to see if that low HT is holding me down

Should add the NB table to the guide here, it was probably one of the most helpful things out of all your research :D

Nice Job Dolk, I've been in agreement with your theories as they play out as I trial and error. Must have read all these threads regarding the PHNMII 100 times. One question though, there's point when I'm going up that I can't get passed (lets say around 3500 on my 920 unless I drop the HT below 1200... watching others results I see they've done the same to get over the 30%, when I'm at about 3500 my NB freq and HT are about the same. Going above I can keep the NB @1800-2600. . . I don't get it and haven't benched yet to see if that low HT is holding me down

Hmm I can verify some of this information. I was able to bring my computer outside into the cold for a couple hours, had temps as low as 5C while at 4.0ghz ;).

Anyway, When I was stabling 4.1ghz I could not load XP without increasing the NB to 2600. As I tried 4.2ghz Everything stopped working, and I had to quit. Very interesting though...

dark bishop I love your sig :p

Thanks for the support too guys! I'm working on finishing up most of the material and getting some of the new content up tonight. That is if no parties are happening on campus :beer:

Added some new tables, info that goes along with them will come in this weekend.

Last edited:
Updates will be done today. A lot will be updated, along with new research that I have been doing on and off with people and the AM3 system. Thanks all for your support.

The guide should work for all Phenom IIs. If you read my research I believe I mention how all the Phenom IIs share a common trait. Since the Triple core is a quad core with one bad core, everything should be same. This should also apply withe the dual and single core series as well.

Dolk, Please help

I have a very good watercooling system (DTek Fuzion CPU Cooler, Asetek 1000l/hr pump, and Thermalchill 3X120mm radiator in custom box). It might not be the best these days but its still pretty good. Anyways, I bought a Phenom II 940 because I heard that they are easy to overclock if you have very good air cooling or pretty good water cooling. So, I tried my hand at overclocking and 3.2, 3.4, and 3.6 Ghz came easy with no need for an increase in core voltage. With 3.8 Ghz, I could not boot into Windows at stock CPU volts, so I raised it to 1.40V and ran several benchmarks (Entire
3dMark series and ran OCCT for 10 minutes). No crashes, stellar performance. Then after about 1 hour more with the wife using the computer, she reports of a BSOD. Raised CPU volts to 1.45V and everything was fine. Wife again found a BSOD after about 1 hour. Raised CPU volts to 1.50V with the same result. Then I read your overclock guide. Very good information. I again tried with the CPU-NB running at 2600Mhz CPU-NB volts at 1.30V, CPU volts at 1.53V. Same result. BSOD after about 1 hour. No instability indicated before then even with stability tests and benchmarks. My CPU temperature stays below 40 degrees C the whole time. Do I just need to be brave and push the CPU volts further? I am just looking for help in achieving stability at 3.8Ghz. Thanks.

haha, first off, what is your wife doing?!?! I can't even get my cpu to bsod @ 3.375ghz! lol. I, you might want to try turning your ht link multiplier down as well as your nb frequency multiplier.

You mentioned turning down the Ht link multiplier down. The stock speed is 9X200=1800Mhz. I have not tried adjusting it yet. How low should I go? You also mentioned turning it down as well as the NB frequency multiplier. Dolk's guide mentions turning the NB frequency multiplier way up (from 9X to 13X for CPU speeds of 3800Mhz). Should I be turning this down or up?

Wait, wait, wait. I appoligize for my stupidity. I'm so used to overclocking via the Fsb. Since you are using multipliers there is no need to raise or lower the multipliers on those. In that case, I don't really have any ideas to help you... I would ask dolk, he is a genius.

Back